Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Silent Sunday...or not really.


Can I first just say that I love this photo? It is so far from being technically good--I mean, it's blurry, the focus was completely off, but her face? I just love it. I feel like she's kind already like, "Mommmmm, more kisses?!" And it makes me laugh ;)

***

I'm sitting here at my kitchen table, with my iced coffee...staring at my sleeping 15 month old on the monitor. I'm finally, after the last few days, feeling a slight sigh of relief.

I know this is ridiculous...kids get sick. And honestly? When I see other friends or bloggers dealing with some serious, serious issues with their sweet babies, I kind of want to slap myself. But then again, I remember that it's my job to care, it's my job to take care of her to the best of my ability...and it's my job to treat even the smallest of sickness with care. After all, she's my baby. 

I should have known. The on & off fevers lasted for way too long. I didn't get her into the doctor in time before the weekend crept up on us. I hoped that if I wished whatever it is she was dealing with away that it would, in fact, go away. It was stupid of me--because it's always better to be safe than sorry. That is one lesson I've learned so far, if any.

But apparently I hadn't really learned my lesson...I guess. So last night? While I was up soothing my miserable little girl, and she started pulling and tugging at her ears while shrieking in pain--I knew we were dealing with ear infections. Again. And I wanted to punch myself in the face for not taking her to the doctor. She could have been getting antibiotics in her, sleeping better, and just not dealing with all the pain of infected ears had I taken her.

warning: image may break your heart.
taken last night before bed.
I got her soothed & calm--and back to sleep.

I crawled into bed at 5:45am and started to sob. It was probably from the lack of sleep the last 4 days, but I also just felt so terrible. And as a momma, all you want to do is take the pain from your baby. It's miserable. 

I laid in bed and started googling on my phone for urgent care places. I couldn't imagine going another day (to wait for Monday) to get this situation resolved. After all, I'd already let it go on for too long. 

Turns out, there are all sorts of Urgent Care options around for us. Funny how you don't really know until you look into it. And so first thing this morning we headed to a Doctors Express. And let me just tell you--we were treated like gold. They got us in immediately, made us a priority, even called our insurance company to see how they could work with us (didn't cost us a dime!), and most of all, treated Emeline so well. 

My gut was right-- with a double ear infection and a prescription in hand, we left for the pharmacy. 

Finding another resource for your family (for us, it was Doctors Express*) is SO relieving. I cannot praise them enough for a job well done and being there when a momma & child in need is, well...in need

I'm hoping to see my peppy little into-everything little lady back soon. I miss her.

***

*I use their name because I fully know that the internet listens. It's a small place after all. I think that good customer service should be praised. So, kudos Doctors Express...because today? You were my hero.


22 comments:

  1. Aw, Katie, ou got in bed and cried? I am on the verge of tears for you. You're such a good, caring mom don't be so hard on yourself! My little man has had an awful cough for weeks. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for wanting to take him BACK to the doctor but if it makes a momma feel better then what's the harm in checking? Glad you got Eme to Doctor's Care this morning, hope you all start feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't beat yourself up Katie - you are a wonderful mom and it is so hard to know what's wrong when our little ones can't talk and tell us!

    I'm so glad she is on the mend - hoping tonight is easier than the past few have been!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do NOT beat yourself up! It's so much harder when kids can't say what hurts, and you aren't a mind reader. I'm glad you were able to find a place that took care of her so well, and hopefully she'll be back to her old self soon (and you with some much needed sleep!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate ear infections! They can be nasty! I hope your little one feels better soon!

    You are a great mom, and don't beat yourself up for not taking her to the doctor. She got great care at the Urgent care place, and she will be feeling better within no time! She is very lucky to have you as a mom!!

    Tiffani
    thoughtsfromtiffani.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that y'all were treated so well! That means the world when you have a sick babe! And do not feel bad b/c you are and AWESOME momma!!!! It is super hard when ur kids get sick. I swear I feel soo helpless and don't know what to do when Noah is sick! It is scary and all you want to do is take the pain away. Praying that the meds work quickly. My dad used to tell me when I was little and had ear infections that a little train with little men were taking the medicine to fix my ear. I could picture them fixing my pain and it made me feel sooo much better :D So see it is all the lovins that matters the most!! :D Love U!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that y'all were treated so well! That means the world when you have a sick babe! And do not feel bad b/c you are and AWESOME momma!!!! It is super hard when ur kids get sick. I swear I feel soo helpless and don't know what to do when Noah is sick! It is scary and all you want to do is take the pain away. Praying that the meds work quickly. My dad used to tell me when I was little and had ear infections that a little train with little men were taking the medicine to fix my ear. I could picture them fixing my pain and it made me feel sooo much better :D So see it is all the lovins that matters the most!! :D Love U!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad she's on the mend. Definitely don't feel guilty over this. Kids get over illnesses just as quickly as they catch them sometimes. The most important thing is that she's getting better and you both can start getting some sleep. Hugs to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't feel bad. Lots of ear infections heal themselves without meds, so it's actually good that you waited.

    P.s. I love that picture too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww. Don't beat yourself up. After all, you are a first time mom :) so you will learn lessons again and again. I am so glad that you were able to get to an express care facility. I am praying today for you and Emeline. She will be great soon!

    With love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, that's the worst! They always seem to get sick right before the weekend! There seems to be a magic window of time to take them to the dr. You take them as soon as they get sick and they aren't really that sick yet. Or you wait and by the time you go they are way sick! We also have a great Urgent Care right by us. It doubles as an Emergency Room during non-urgent care hours. We have been there in the middle of the night and are so thankful for it! Hope she's feeling better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hopefully those meds will get that sweet baby feeling better really quickly. Poor soul :(

    And don't beat yourself up Mama. It happens.. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor thing, I know it's heartbreaking for a parent to watch their child be sick. I'm so glad you listened to your gut and she is now on the mend!
    I hope you all get lots of rest!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so rough, seeing your baby hurting! Poor thing, I hope those antibiotics kick in SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That 'break your heart' photo is so sweet. I hate when my babies (or any babies) are sick, but I love when they snuggle so close like that. Precious.

    I hope she starts feeling better soon! Isn't it funny how they always start getting sick right near the weekend...I'm always stuck with that 'should I take them in or should I wait til Monday' thought too. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its the pits when the babies are sick. I had a baby girl in the hospital with pnemonia 2 days before Christmas and a 6 month old at home who needed to be nursed. I had to LEAVE her their with daddy, my heart broke that day for sure! Love the new look, btw!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness... I hope your little one is feeling better soon...and I hope you are able to get some rest tooo...my little one has had ear infections and when they are sick like that ... its almost harder on the momma.....hang in there your sweet girl has one of the best mamas ever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you were able to get some good care today! Hope she's feeling better soon...the sad, sicky-face photos break my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't be too hard on yourself! Last time Jamie had a double ear infection I thought he was just teething. We had 2 horrible nights until on the third I noticed some ear gunk. Great. Mom fail. Turns out all the screaming was due to a rupturing ear drum NOT new teeth. Mom of the year right here folks!

    Hope that sweet girl is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry Katie...that is so hard. And also, I totally agree about looking up the urgent care places in your area--they are a GOD SEND.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I hate that "should I wait or should I go" thing. Glad she's doing better now. Those pictures are too sweet. Honestly, some of my favorite pictures are the ones that aren't "perfect". Blurs and all. Hope she's doing much better tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The picture before bed time makes me want to cry... she looks like she just does not feel good. I glad you went to the doctor and hope she is feeling better for the week.
    I really enjoy reading your blog and izabella loves the pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad you got everything worked out. It's so hard when your baby's in pain. It seems like I ONLY ever need a doctor outside of regular business hours. It's a pain.

    ReplyDelete