Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Details.

I told my husband that while we were away, I wanted to appreciate details. Things that I don't typically have time to notice, or don't do well, to you know, stop and smell the roses. Which, I guess is an excuse, since it's probably just a mindset I need to work on. I guess I just knew that without wrangling an almost 17 month old, it'd be easier to do that. 

And so, for fun, I tried to do that...and when I had my camera around I'd take a picture. 

So here are some things that I really appreciated while away.

***

1. Snacks & ginger ale on the plane. Music playing in my ears. Sitting. Still. And reading trashy magazines. {So sue me.} It's the one time I buy them and allow myself to page through them. I needed brainless stuff after starting a book about parenting through the terrible two's on the plane, which was a stupid idea. So, I went back to brainless, and well-it was better. More relaxing I guess.

2. Sitting. Still. Having meals without trying to fork pieces of food into my toddler's mouth, or deal with food being thrown to the ground. Talking to my husband, in the quiet. Drinking cold ones by the pool, in our bathing suits as we got visitors from little (big) iguanas. Oh, and fish tacos--because they were good, everywhere. Did I mention sitting still?

3. Enjoying car rides, alone-just the two of us. Staring at gorgeous skies and appreciating them. Honestly? I've said it like ten times already, but the skies were amazing. All day, every day. You'd frequently hear me say, "Declan, just LOOK at that sky!" about a billion times a day. He was sweet and would nod in agreement. Oh, the birds there? So gorgeous. You'd see them perched up anywhere they could find. Laying on their nests, flying through the air--big, huge birds. Did you know I love birds? I'm sure you did. :)

4. We just sat on a dock after dinner one night. For like, an hour. Because we could. And time didn't mean anything to us there. No kid to get bathed & put to bed. Just us. So we sat with our feet off the edge and just talked. Or sat quietly. We watched the sun go down. It was so, so...nice. 

5. I know palm trees are not that amazing to anyone who lives with them all year long, but to this northern'ish gal? When I see a palm tree it instantly means vacation. And so, with that---A Palm Tree. I hear the ooo's and ahh's now. (tehehe)


6. For the first time in a long time, I threw my diet out the window. I enjoyed whatever I wanted, drank whatever I wanted, and didn't even open my Weight Watchers app once. I kind of just needed that. It was good. Oh, and funky glasses, because why not? Note to self: Paint a picnic table teal. It is so much cooler that way.

7. Did I mention that I appreciated the sky? A lot? Oh, I did? 

8. The self timer. Because I forgot how while you're away on vacation with just one other person, it's really difficult to get a decent picture of the two of you together. I may or may not still be a little scared to just hand over my new baby (camera) to someone. So, I laid on the dock & then on a concrete slab (while yelling to Declan to "make sure if someone comes to tell me! my butt is hanging out!"), face down, on my belly, to figure out getting some shots of the two of us. And yea, while not totally attractive, it's worth it to have a few of us. Totally. 

When everyone asks me how the trip was? All I can just say is 'it was so fun', 'it was perfect'....it sounds so cliche, but man, it really was. It really, truly was. I'm just so thankful we could make it work to go. So, so glad.

***

Happy Thursday :)

psstt: if you didn't see my post yesterday, the old blog is on Facebook now, so you can find me there if you want! I updated my sidebar with a link to it for easy access.

30 comments:

  1. everything looks gorgeous and you just further convinced me that J & I need a vaca, together, alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Time away from everything with just your man is needed. We try to get away once a year, even if it is just a day or two. I am with you on palm trees...every time we go to the beach, I take so many pics of just trees:-) Gotta love the self timer too! I too don't like to hand my camera to just anybody...so we end up with lots of arms held out pics. LOL! I am loving seeing all your details. Good for you for throwing the diet out for vaca...that is needed once in a while too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we had more than just a day there!! We found this awesome taco place with CONCH tacos... OMG so amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always buy People and Cosmo for plane rides. Always. I'm going Friday night, actually ;)

    Great pics!

    I'm trying to decide if I should bring my real camera or my little p&s. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you guys had a blast!!! Yay, you deserve it! I feel you about the palm trees, that's how you know it's a vay-cay-tion! Hopefully my hubs and I will be able to get away sometime before we continue to expland our family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still completely jealous of your trip! It looks amazing and there's no better time to appreciate the little things than on vacation! And you and Declan are just too cute, for reals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a firm believer that we need these little breaks to stay sane but also to be able to give our best to our children.

    Sitting still and being quiet sound positively magical right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these posts. Gets me itching for a little time away too. But I just don't know if I could do it. Love the pix of the 2 of you. So happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this little glimpse into your vacay! So glad you enjoyed the Sunny State I call home :)

    And...... YAY for a WW-less week. Sometimes, I think it's just as important to eat like a "normal" person (you know, one who doesn't have to monitor every bite they ingest) as it is to watch what you eat and get healthy. IMO, there's a mental healthiness about giving yourself a week to relax and then being able to pick it right back up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How pretty!!
    I love the ones of you and Declan. Everything DOES look fun and perfect. Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. B and I STILL talk about our honeymoon, regularly. HOnest to goodness, we bring it up at least every other week, it was that great. So glad you guys got that experience too. You really deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the little details, they are one of the best things in life

    and like always, beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these pictures so much! You have me longing for a vacation with just Alex!

    And, so funny how palm trees means vacation to so many - we have two huge ones in our front yard!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your trip sounded perfect and so relaxing! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! Great concept! Great pics!

    And now I want to ditch my kiddo and go on vacay stat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your vacation looks wonderful :) I feel you on the just being still...I'm finishing up law school, so we normally vacation after my exams. At that point, I don't want to think, or speak, or move for at least the first 48 hours :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your photos are beautiful!!! So happy for you that you got a chance to get away ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. you took great pictures! And you guys are so cute, taking pics on the dock! also, I'm with you on the trees, they never got old!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how I would a little getaway before baby #2. I doubt it will happen. But maybe before baby #3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. great post... makes me remember to stop and not take things for granted. thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do the EXACT same thing on trips. Ginger ale is my saving grace on a plane. I don't really drink it anywhere else. And trashy mags... Oh ya! I never get them unless I'm traveling. It's the best time for that! Your trip looks amazing and it looks like you really sucked the marrow out of it - which is PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am totally green with envy! Looks like you had so much fun!! And yes, it so so completely the little moments that you cherish after having a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love seeing Florida through the eyes of somebody else. I live here and have such a hard time living here...I know, crazy huh? But, I crave seasonal changes. Your pictures are amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aww, love these pics! And I love taking photos of some little things I appreciate from time to time (somehow the kids always end up in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful reminder and a GREAT inspiration!

    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds absolutely dreamy!!!
    I want to go on a vacation SO bad!!
    *but LB doesn't really know her grandparents, so I would feel bad leaving her with them.. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful photos, especially that super cool lizard. It's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this! Made me remember those moments on our adult vacations.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love that you use the self timer to get pictures of the both of you. I need to learn how to do that with my camera! Are you bringing along a tripod or just setting it somewhere where you want the picture?

    ReplyDelete