Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

New Colors

My tride and true friend, Gina, from over at Namaste By Day is here today with a post for you. I'm thrilled because she brings such a great, unique look on life as a full time teacher and full time momma. Me and Gina go way back. Honestly, I'm not even sure how I met her but I'm so, so grateful that I did.  So treat her kindly :)

****

Hi, Loves of Life readers! I am honored to be guest posting here today. Like you, I adore Katie and her blog and honestly I'm a bit nervous to be posting anything in her amazing space. (This is Katie, Gina, You are awesome and you know it, oh and welcome here anytime. mwah.)

I work as a speech-language pathologist in an elementary school, and one of my favorite things to do is to work with my students in art class. It's a great spot for kids to use social language with their friends and it tends to work well for a variety of real-life lessons. Just recently, my kids taught me a lesson in art class, however. And since Katie used to be an art teacher, I figured this was a great place to share my story.

I work with a little girl with autism in art class. We usually work on her using appropriate social language to ask peers to pass materials, use her language when frustrated when she makes a mistake, and even improve overall conversational skills. Because she has autism, her receptive language is also somewhat delayed, so she doesn't always understand directions. This week, the students were learning about mixing colors, shading, and tinting. They were supposed to mix two colors of paint on their paper and see what the new color became.
This little girl didn't quite get those directions, and started mixing yellow and red together in her paint tray. This wouldn't have been a big deal, except for the fact that she was sharing it with another student. I braced myself, expecting her partner to get frustrated that now her paint was messed up.

To my surprise, the other little girl smiled kindly at my student and simply dipped her paintbrush on the very edge of the paint. "I can get a little plain yellow right here," she explained.

I was blown away. This was a third grader who was wiser and more warm-hearted than most adults I know. While I don't want this to be the theme of my post, I'm always floored by lack of tolerance and kindness by "grown-ups."

Don't get me wrong. I'm not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination. However, what a difference this world would be if we all took a lesson from this eight-year-old. Notice without judging. Be tolerant of other's shortcomings and differences in general. Adapt when others in your life make mistakes, rather than rushing to anger. You never know...sometimes, you might just see new colors in the world.

Namaste.

***

20 comments:

  1. Oh G, this brought tears to my eyes!! Especially since I worry about that kind of stuff in livie's future.

    I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww that is the sweetest thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet post. It is quite amazing the lessons we could all learn from kids sometimes. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't kids awesome!? We can learn so much from them and their kind hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sweet. I'm working on my masters in early intervention..and it is rare to see young typically developing children be so compassionate towards children who are not typical. on the rare occassion i have seen examples like this one, and it really does warm your heart and make you think. thanks for sharing! i will be checking out your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heartwarming, and very true! We can learn from anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story. I'm certified in special education, and during my student teaching last semester, I worked with three students with autism. I was amazed at the patience and gentleness the other students showed towards them. How are children so wise? It just blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet girl. It's always nice to hear about genuinely nice kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing! What a sweet story... really makes you think

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melts my heart! What a great, positive story. I think we all needed a dose of that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great post! thanks for sharing that with us gina. a lesson we can all learn for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. how touching. I'm sure her parents would have loved to hear that story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Gina and love this post!
    It would be a wonderful world if everyone had the outlook of that child :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so sweet. I'm with you all the way, Gina. Life would be a lot better if more people followed that path.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How beautiful. My son is on the Autism spectrum and I know for a fact the mixing of colours would drive him crazy, so wonderful to see she didnt react as expected :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a kind heart of that little girl. My son has a speech delay and is in ECI at the local school as well as private speech therapy and I know when things can get frustrating for him. It's nice to hear of kids developing typically helping out and not getting frustrated with one who may not have the same skills as them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think kids are sometimes much smarter than we think they are!

    This story is seriously heart warming!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Melt your heart moment. Thanks for sharing that amazing moment.

    ReplyDelete
  20. so true. and is it wrong for me to admit tha i'd have been the kid pissed that my colors were now mixed? i never smushed my playdoh together either. ever.

    what an awesome lesson.

    ReplyDelete