Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Perspective

I don't fly very often. I'm not a world traveler. But I have flown a good handful of times throughout my life. And each and every time I am always amazed. Always.

Descending is always my favorite. Not because I'm about to finally breathe a sigh of relief that I'm back on God's green earth where I fully believe I am intended to be, as flying legitimately freaks me out if I let myself think about it for too long [Okay, fine. That's part of the reason.]  But, mainly? The views. The slow descend into the city you're landing. It boggles my mind, every single time.


To see things from that different perspective...it plays tricks on my mind because I'm not used to it. Houses and neighborhoods in these perfectly formed little spirals. Crops and grasses in perfect squares. Roads that make the biggest, unique maze I've ever seen. Factories. Lakes. The ocean as we came into Miami. People that looked like ants. Cars that look like the matchbox ones my brothers used to love. The tiny blue dots, you know, we call them swimming pools.

(iphone pics)
Not to mention, the sky. Seeing the clouds from above. Not my typical everyday perspective of clouds. It's...well? Pretty freaking gorgeous. But again, it's just a different perspective. The clouds are still there almost daily--do I notice them the same? Appreciate them the same? Not really.


When flying this week, my head was quieter than normal. Especially on the way home. But then I started jotting things down in my notebook. A little sea of words that just kind of flung off my pen and onto the page about how crazy this thing called life is and how we all view it and perceive it so differently, based on one thing. Our perspectives.

Everyone has their own, and we're all allowed to. Often, our perspectives are shaped by our place in life. Where we're at. If we're happy or unhappy. If we're dealing with major family crisis or not. Sick children. Deaths of loved ones. Different cultures. Different backgrounds. Different geographical location (even within the US). Different upbringings. Different values. Different morals. Different religious beliefs. Heck, even down to as simple as a good or bad day at work, or a good or bad day staying at home with your children. You name it. It can change our perspective. It can change my perspective.

That's why it's yours. And I have mine. And it makes us unique, and that's okay.

***

Oh, and you better bet I'm a window seat gal. I'm sure you'd never have guessed.

15 comments:

  1. I love the descent too! It is just amazing. The perspective from the sky is my absolute favorite part of flying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is actually an aerospace engineer. When we went to Maui, I was absolutely terrified of being over the ocean for HOURS (cuz I'm also a huge Lost fan :). By the time he had explained to me in great detail HOW airplanes fly? I was too bored to be scared anymore :)

    I love the views, too. Clouds are the shit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always fascinated by the clouds when I fly. They are just so beautiful - you really captured them well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a window seat kinda gal too and I am constantly snapping pictures in amazement the entire time. It's just incredible... like we're not even suppose to be up there, ya know?

    I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have flown more times than I care to remember but I STILL feel the same way you do. I am in constant awe of the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tiny blue dots are always my favorite to spot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love thw window seat too! but not when I have to climb over 2 strangers legs and yell by accident (ears plugged) "excuse me."

    And I have always loved looking at the little perfect circles of homes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of my favoritest posts ever of yours. For many reasons. XOXO.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved reading this. I really love flying and I have to agree, the descent is a wonderful experience. I love the view and seeing different perspectives of the city!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, this post began about your thoughts on flying and ended with a deep insight on perspective...I kinda love it. Very well said, Katie.

    And? I'm a window seat type of girl too. It's just more entertaining than the aisle seat :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't fly for the first time until I was 23, and I was lucky enough to have a window seat on my first flight. I was all by myself and staring down at the country was probably one of the most awe-inspiring experiences of my life. I regret not taking any pictures from the planes on that trip. It was so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only flown three times, but each time I've sat and soaked in as much as I could. The view from that window is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! I love traveling and wish I could do it more. I like the window seat but I prefer the aisle so I can get up without climbing over people.

    ReplyDelete