Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

When words just don't do it justice.

I am not typically a birthday post type of gal, but you hear me talk about my sister, Susan a lot around here. My big sister, with the heart of gold, who is truly one of the biggest blessings and gifts in my life.

You guys, she is my best friend...and as a kid, she was my built-in best friend. You know, she had no choice but to let her little sister tag along, and do everything she did, or dress the way she did, or steal her clothes (yes. guilty). But the awesome thing is that as adults, we choose to be friends. And she is everything in a sister and friend I could ever ask for.

She's been there for me in some of my darkest times, she's asked me the hard questions, she's cheered me on, she planned my showers, threw me a kick-ass bachelorette party, stood right by my side on my wedding day, helped me move into my first home as a married lady, and even watched the birth of my baby girl. And gosh, she is one heck of an amazing Aunt to her, too.

Likewise, I'm there for her when she's going through hard stuff. When she needs a boost. I was there to help when she moved into her adorable little sanctuary of a home, and when she needs an ear, or a Target run, or a "hey does this outfit look good" picture text.

Everyone needs someone like that. The person you call first when you just have to tell someone about the crazy thing that just happened to you in the grocery store. Or about that great sale you just scored. Or about how you got drenched by the rain (true story). About what you ate for lunch. Or about the weigh-in we just had. About little things, or real big important things.

I love that about my sister. Serious things, non-serious things, small, huge, whatever it might be. She's there for me, I'm here for her. And I pretty much thank God everyday for letting me be lucky enough to have a sister at all, and most of all, a sister like her.

I'm proud of her. So proud of her in so many ways, too. She's been my weight-loss partner, and she just hit her 50lb loss mark. She said she wanted to do it by her birthday, and she did. Her determination and willpower has always inspired me and pushed me on during this process.

I'm so honored to call her my sister.

So, happy birthday sweet sissy of mine. I love you with all my heart.


***

26 comments:

  1. This is so sweet!! I got a little teary reading because this is exactly what I want for my girls when they grow up! Happy Birthday Susan! Congrats on the 50lb weight loss!! Way to go!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a sweet post! You have the relationship with your sister that I always wished I had with mine. You're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww!!!! Happy Birthday to your sis!!! Hope she has a wonderful day!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet!! Happy birthday to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Susan & CONGRATS on the 50 lb loss, that is AMAZING! Katie, I love this post. It's exactly how I feel about my 3 younger sisters & I hope they would say the same<3 Love the pic too-You look so much alike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww, such a special birthday post for you sister. I can only hope and pray, my relationship with my sisters will be as special. Happy Birthday Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet! I find the sisterly bond so amazing. You both are lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww! This got me all choked up. I am so blessed to have "met" you both. Someday I will hug your necks in person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. since i read your blog in google reader i have.t seen the changes around here in a while. the blog looks really nice, as always.
    2. Happy Birthday to Susan.
    3. I hope me and my sis will be as good friends when we grow up as you two are. :)
    4. Way to go, Susan {and Katie}! Girls, you two are an inspiration to all of us who set goals as New Year Resolutions and by 3 January they are in the trash. or is it just me. hehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sweet. Nothing better than a sister! There's 11 years between me and mine...she's 18...so she keeps me 'cool'. I love her as if she was my own! She's the bomb! Happy Birthday to your sis! She's lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SUCH a sweet sister post! Got a little teary eyed. Happy birthday to your sister and best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. aww that was so sweet! Happy Birthday to your sister. I hope when my girls grow up they are best friends too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so incredibly precious. Happy birthday Suze! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. We weren't gonna have any more babies but after reading that I'm thinking my little Raegan needs a sis. Happy birthday to your sister and a super CONGRATULATIONS on the 50lb weight loss!!! Whoa, what a huge accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww! So sweet! Happy Birthday! Nothing sweeter than having a sister best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday to your sister!! You both look GREAT! Please pass along congratulations to her for the 50lbs lost! Thats Amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. SUCH a sweet post. I've been struggling with whether or not a second kid is for us... and this post really make me take a pause in life. Your posts always do that - bring a positive and different perspective on some great topics! thank you for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post. I always see you two tweeting each other and it always makes me think of how badly I wish I had a sister. You two are so lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is SO sweet!! Love! I feel the same way about my sister. It's crazy, b/c we are polar opposites but very close! Idk how people live w/o a sister! ;)

    Glad i found both your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. very, very sweet post. I so want this for E. So my hubs is probably going to thank you for this post too ;)

    Happy Birthday Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you two are exactly what I hope for my girls' future sisterly relationship.

    This was beyond sweet Katie.

    Happy birthday Sue!

    xoxo to both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aww, happy birthday to her! I had always wanted a sister because of all those things you mentioned in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awww, Happy Birthday Susan!! (sorry I'm late) I'm just now getting to the point with my little sister where we're becoming closer friends instead of just sisters (she's 14 years younger than me, so I had to wait for her to grow up). You really are blessed to have each other.

    ps. yall look so skinny in that pic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very cute post, and an adorable photo! :)

    ReplyDelete