Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

The memories in between.

I have a confession to make.

One that I'm really, really ashamed to admit.

....

....

....

We've yet to cross anything off our Family Fall Bucket List. Me. The one who a few weeks ago wrote about how we wanted to be all 'intentional' about this season, and spending more time together as a family, and making memories together and all that stuff that sounded so good.

And I keep seeing you girls checking off your boxes, taking family hayrides, picking apples, seeing adorable photos of your kids in pumpkin patches and wearing cute hats and Fall clothing at that. And meanwhile, we've done a whole lot of nothing.

And by nothing, of course I don't mean nothing. But, for instance, a few weekends ago we had it blocked off: WE WERE GOING APPLE PICKING. We were. We found this orchard that we used to pass all the time on our way to our college campuses, and thought it would be so fun to try that one. I had Eme in the best Fall outfit & cutest hat ever. Like, seriously, I could have eaten her up. That cute. And it was a gorgeous, gorgeous day.

On the way there, I was excited. And dreaming of the photos I was going to get of E & her daddy picking apples. Until out of the clear blue skies just minutes before arriving came the heaviest, god-forsaken rain I've ever seen. No joke. Literally, ruining our plans. We ended up at a busy mall eating a torturous lunch with a picky toddler. 

Then we went away. Which, was awesome--and I guess you could classify that as us going on a "date" (or two, or three, or four!). And then this past weekend, we had a wedding (hey! another date!). And I have a husband who still works on Saturday's. And Sunday's are basically work days for us because we're involved in so much with Church. And when I look ahead at the next few weekends on the calendar? Booked. With so.much.stuff. Then throw in the unpredictables like Eme getting sick (like this weekend), and we literally stayed shut in the house all day. You know?

I know I shouldn't let this bother me so much, but I am a little. I'm bothered by the fact that this season feels like it's already flying by and I've not done much of any family-fun stuff. I so badly want to check off all the fun things from our bucket list, but not because of the checks, I just want that time with my family. All together. Enjoying one another--making memories. But we have limits sometimes. 

And sometimes, I have to keep in mind that other great things come up. That are totally wonderful family memories, too. And those? Those totally count despite being on the list or not. 

For instance, this past Friday evening as a family we watched and cheered for my sister Susan who ran her first 5k. This year has been full of so many changes for her, one of them having been losing so much weight, and now? She's a runner. So I literally burst into tears multiple times that night, just so proud of her and full of emotion at how devoted and strong she is.


So, that bucket list? We'll get to it. Or what we can get to, rather. Until then, we'll just soak up all the other memories in between, because those are completely awesome, too.

***

{if you wanna go read my sisters recap of her 5k, go here :)}

14 comments:

  1. awww beautiful post kate!!!! i love you so much sister!!!! sometimes the things that aren't on the list can be the most special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of it this way...... it's only officially been Fall for a week. And, it's only the 3rd day of October. You totally have time.

    And, YAY SUSAN!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have no fear, Katie. I've crossed lots of things off my bucket list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this and so so proud of your sister!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to that. Love those pics of Susan and the fam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing Susan run her 5K may not be on the bucket list, but that's a pretty awesome memory! I'm sure you, Declan and Eme will make plenty of amazing memories this season! Go ahead and check off date nights and try the apple orchard again. It's only Oct 3, the season is just getting started!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are creating your own special memories :) There will always be apple orchards but how many times can you watch your sister kick butt at her first 5K?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's definitely great to have goals, but then sometimes I think we hold ourselves back from doing (or enjoying) other things that come our way. So I think you have the right attitude. You are making memories!

    Also, the pumpkin patch WILL be there next year! I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Though you might not being getting to the list as much as you liked yet, look how many other people you inspired to get out and spend quality time with their fams that they might not have

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have a fall bucket list but you sure just inspired me to make one. Thanks for that. After reading your post, I realized you have done a great amount of memory building with your family....totally awesome. And the most awesome thing...fall is not over yet...there's still time to do pumpkin patches = )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes life gets in the way of plans...
    but it sounds like you're having a pretty great fall so far, regardless if things are on 'the list' or not! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes the best memories are the ones that happen on the fly! And don't worry, fall has just begun! You still have plenty of time to pick some apples!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to your sister! That's awesome. :D

    Don't worry about your list, do the best you can and have fun while doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The best gifts that God has ever given me .. whether they be memories, events, or, you know a child ... have always been those that are unplanned, unpredicted, and unexpected. God will bless your family through this season, even if it's not in a pumpkin patch :)

    ReplyDelete