Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Tips for baby feeding magic. I don't have many. Oh how life changes.



Thanks to Plum Organics for sponsoring my post about tips for baby feeding magic. What if you let baby choose what's for dinner? Check out their cute "Quest for Yum!" video and see what happens!

***

I kind of have this theory that mealtime is either one of those crazy stressful times in family's day, or? Totally peaceful. I like to guess that if you fall somewhere in between, you're kind of lucky. In our house, it seems like mealtime is stressful, more often than not.

I hate to say that. But, it's true. I've gotten to the point with our sweet toddler girl that fighting The Food Battle is oh so tiring, yet, I know it's essential to her growth & nutrition to just keep on pushing with her. So, I try anything.

Anything.

I bet most parents are willing to do the same. You know, I play all those little baby games with food, I pretend to make the spoon like an airplane, flying all around her head, and then "missing", and the coming back in "for a landing"....only to hope to God that my little girl will pry open her mouth and let a bite of something...anything (other than goldfish crackers) in her mouth. I try to mix food up in other food, so she gets confused and just eats it all. But? She's too smart for that. I mean, it's rough. Learning the tricks to get your kiddo to eat. Honestly? If you have no food issues in your house, I envy you...slightly a lot.

Basically, I miss the days of this:

 

and this:


You see, I used to be the mom who boasted on how well versed my child was with food. She was an amazing eater. Basically, anything I put in front of her? She gobbled up. But it's been really rough lately as you know.

And the one thing that's been my saving grace to get a serving or two of veggies in her? Those amazing little packets of yum that Plum Organics make. You know the ones? They basically have a built-in straw. Allowing independent toddlers to walk around feeling like the Queen of The World...well, independent. She thinks its a "treat", but secretly I'm all "har-har! I got you!" because I'm thrilled.to.death that the child ingested something good for her.

This is my trick. Honest to God. Give my child one of these. The only mom trick I have up my sleeve right now because everything else is failing. Truth? This post would have looked a lot different a few months ago. But, boy, how times can change, and fast.

Will this phase last? God, I hope not. But, while we're in the mist and muck of The Toddler Picky Stage, I'll thank my lucky stars that the brilliance of these little packets exist. 

So, what's the magic to feeding your baby in your house? Any special tricks or tips you've got?

Be sure to check out this awfully adorable video that's totally entertaining and cute. I kinda perma-smiled the whole time, but I'm a sucker for the video-game feel. Go ahead. Watch.




I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective. To learn more about Plum Organics, visit their Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/PlumOrganics.


**Edited to add: I feel like I must pat myself on the back. I got my child to eat my pork tenderloin this evening, and peaches. Oh, and the night before she ate my chili. So--I guess it's not all bad. She has her days :)

12 comments:

  1. OMG I hate to admit but I have been pumping KP full of the pouch foods lately. Car rides? Hello are so much more enjoyable now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of my children love to eat whatever is on mommy or daddy's plates. Even though we typically have the same food as them, if by chance we have something they don't, I've found this is a great way to get them to eat it.

    I'd also suggest letting her pick something out at the grocery in the produce section and maybe the novelty of that will encourage her to want to eat it when she gets home.

    Be sure to constantly offer different things. Even if you offer broccoli twice a week, try to make sure it's prepared differently each time. Variety is the spice of life!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something our family Doc told us was that kids eat by the month - so if they need so much fruit or veggies they get it by the month. You will see kids eating spaghetti for a week or strawberries for a week unlike adults who eat by the day to get their requirements. Mine loved flavor - dont be scared to try garlic and onions in the food - we used a food mill to mash up whatever we were eating. This always seemed to ease my mind - Good Luck in the joys of parenting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my best ( I think! ) parenting decisions was to not worry about my sons eating. My doctor has told me many times that children are not social eaters like we adults are, and that they will eat when they are hungry. And not to worry about getting in all the food groups in one day, that it will even out over the week. I don't stress out if my son doesn't want to eat his dinner, have never played airplane/train with his fork, I offer all food groups, even if he doesn't like them. Some days he'll eat them, other days he doesn't. As long as he continues to grow on his same growth curve (steadily along the 25th % curve for him) then I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those little pouches of gold! LB doesn't get to hold them herself yet because..well... that's a disaster! But she still loves them and gets excited whenever we pull one out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those little pouches of gold! LB doesn't get to hold them herself yet because..well... that's a disaster! But she still loves them and gets excited whenever we pull one out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My toddler pretty much lives on the Happy Baby Tot pouches and the smaller plum ones. I love how many brands are starting to make these, I can see using them on a regular basis for the next year or even more. If he's ingesting spinach, I'm happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to tell my sister about these, my niece will love them : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister started the "Clean Plate Club" with my niece. It has carried over to Connor and he eats everything on his plate, hands it to me, and I cheer, clap, and say, "Yay! Clean Plate Club!" He gets a kick out of it every time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chloe loves those little pouch things. We do the gerber grad ones. She's in love with them!! Only bad thing is, I won't let her eat them outside of her highchair just yet, cuz she tends to squeeze them too hard while it's NOT in her mouth, and it gets EVERYWHERE! LOL!! She went through the picky food stage too...but now at 14 months old. She will eat ANYTHING you put in front of her!! LIke seriously, ANYTHING!!! Veggies of any kind. Even peas! It amazes me, but I'm not complaining!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I looovvee plum pouches! Both my girls gobble them up! Now I have two picky eaters but thankfully on occasion they will still eat a pouch or two of fruits/vegs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We discovered those things on a car trip and they are traveling staples now. So often when you're on the road or out of town, it's hard to give kids healthy choices, so they really help to supplement his diet.

    I pretty much buy whatever organic brand is cheapest, but I do like the ones by Plum and often they're on sale. The first few I gave him lasted forever...now he sucks them down in a milisecond :(

    Do they give Eme the poops? The only thing I don't like about them is they seem to make some serious diapers. I guess because they're already digested ;)

    ReplyDelete