Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

My very, very happy day.

It was the buttcrack of dawn on Saturday morning when my sister, Susan picked me up. She handed me the most adorable pair of hot pink flower stud earrings and said Here, I thought you'd like these, they match your gear. I squealed with delight, because of course I like to wear earrings when I run (I mean, come on), but now I had a pair that matched my gear, like she did.

We were all ready.

On the drive there we had a bunch of holy crap who are we? moments. I mean, getting up early, in 28 degree (freezing.cold.brrr) weather, on a Saturday, to go run a race. I mean, I get it. People do this all the time, and now we're one of them.

I had the pre-race jitters. I didn't know what to expect. I didn't know how quickly 600 people would spread out and I'd feel at times like we were running the race alone. But I did know one thing. I was doing it, I wasn't going to stop, I had trained for this....and? I was ready. Plus there was a whole wonderful group of sweet girls that were running it, too...and that was nice.

I had my supporters list with me. My iPhone geared up and ready to go. My family came to support. My baby, came, all bundled up (and rudely awoken from her bed) to cheer her momma on. 
Just as we were all squished together at the start line, a really nice girl caught my eye and said I read your blog! (hi Sarah!) In that moment, I may have been slightly embarrassed, but I'm not gonna lie, it was also oddly motivating. Holy crap, I really have to do this. You know, that run I talked, and talked, and talked about for weeks days on this blog. She also told me that I'm more beautiful in person, and that may or may not have been the sweetest and flattering thing any stranger (although we have mutual friends) has ever said to me. But seriously. 

Then, before I knew it, the race started. Me and my sister were right beside each other, evenly pacing ourselves, doing this thing. It felt awesome. And cold. I remember telling my sister that my toes were actually numb and they kinda hurt. Eventually, I think they warmed up. That, or I forgot about them.
It felt great. Everything about it felt good. Our pace was faster than normal (which I hear is typical with race-day-hype), and it seemed to fly by fast. We ran a steady pace the entire time, chatted here and there, but mostly listened to our music and just kept running. There was nothing more motivating than having my big sister by my side. Truly.

I only got teary-eyed at one point when we passed our team of "cheerleaders" at our first lap and halfway point. Seeing my husband, baby girl & parents there just got me. I started getting all choked up and tears kinda flew out of my eyes. I said something to my sister like, Ohmygosh that was so emotional, and then wiped my eyes real fast before I became a blubbering mess. I guess I'm a sap. But in that moment I just felt so....good. I felt so supported.
At this point, I think I was already looking forward to the finish line, the hype, the fun stuff, you know. When we came around the last corner I just remember thinking we are so close! We sprinted the last leg of it, and I heard the cheers of my friend Kristen, who had finished shortly before. She was my running accountability the last few weeks and I'm so glad we got to run this race 'together' per say.

As we got closer, it was so nice to start to hear the cheers from my family. Just as we were approaching the finish line my iPhone came FLYING out of the case and I caught it mid-air (while sprinting), and it kinda of threw me off. So, with my phone in hand, in a bit of a tizzy, we came a running through the finish line (and I looked a bit sloppy). 

But it still felt amazing.
we came in at official time of 33:07!
There is no one else I'd rather run beside than my sister. We've come so far this last year and this truly felt like the icing on the cake! Such a privilege, really.
It was so great to see my husband and sweet girl at the end. Sadly, I have no pictures of Declan that morning, but I swear he was there--and cheering me on like the best of 'em. I love that man and his support means the world. Later that day this gorgeous bouquet of flowers showed up at my door with the  most beautiful note. 
Nothing could wipe the smile off my face on Saturday and the sense of accomplishment I felt. 

Is it addicting? This whole running thing?

Well, I signed up for another 5k which is in 13 days. You tell me. :)

****

Happy Monday!

48 comments:

  1. Ok I'm beaming just reading this! I am so proud of you sissy for going after it! Running with you will be one of my most cherished memories ever! And how did I not know about the iPhone fiasco at the finish line? haha! Thanks for recapping that day so beautifully! Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome and D is right! You are such an inspiration to so many! So glad you have pics from this special day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! This is truly inspirational. It has been quite a while since I have run a 5K and I think you just inspired me to sign up for one. Also, I love your running outfit. I have similar pants + jacket, but what is the white top that is so nice + long?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!! Would you mind sharing the brand of your running tights? I need a pair so bad! I saw you got them at Target, but what is the label?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I'm crying.. again.... CONGRATS Katie, this is seriously inspirating.
    you might have spread the running bug... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been reading for some time now but never comment. I'm going to change that! I love, love, loved this post! I used to be a runner in high school so I understand that "runners high". I miss it so much. It's tough for me to run since I've had 2 knee surgeries and could be up for a replacement if I don't take care of myself. However, after reading about you running.... I want to SO bad. The problem is finding the time. My husband works a lot, it's too cold for my 2 month old, and I'm nervous to put him in the jogger just yet. Any tips? (FYI- I hate treadmills. I need scenery!) Congratulations!! You've totally spread the "get in shape/just had a baby/need to change body" bug to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok - you got my tears going!!!! Now you have experienced the emotional side of running for sure. Yes it is addicting - AWESOME job!!!!!! Good Luck on the next one - WAHOOOO.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats again :) So good to meet you and your family! Pretty sure I'm signing up for the next 5K too so this time we'll have to get a picture together!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are awesome!!! Congrats on finishing {and even doing it to begin with}!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I better start commenting more often. I felt like such a dweeb saying something to you, but I also thought, "Well I do read her blog, and she is inspiring, and holy crap, she is even more lovely in person."

    Thanks for the mention, and I saw you from way far behind most of the race. From this first time 5ker, it definitely feels like a great accomplishment. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad I didn't put my mascara on before reading this because tears are ROLLING down my face. Congrats, friend. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so proud/excited/happy for you!! That's AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm such a nerd in the fact that I couldn't wait to open my reader this morning to read about your race!

    I am so stinking proud of you Katie! I KNEW you could do it and the fact that you said you hated running and that you just weren't a runner, makes me even more proud! I feel like a proud runner mama! haha

    You are amazing and have given me even more motivation to keep on going. I'm so glad you did this. and even more happier that you love it enough to sign up for another one :)

    Go you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO SO SO excited for you! And so proud of you! Way to go girl! You are an inspiration to so many!

    ReplyDelete
  16. so glad you're race went well :) and beyond happy you signed up for another one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So exciting! You are definitely an inspiration. I'm going to get back on it and run the St. Louis St. Patty's 5 mile Run. I did it 4 months after having Mia and it was such a great feeling of accomplishment. After following your journey, I'm going to do it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. this post and these pictures got me teary eyed! what a great accomplishment!! congrats, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations!! :) You've made me want to suck it up and just get started on this whole "losing weight and getting in shape thing". :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats girl! I'm glad you had such a good experience for your first race!

    I wish we had 5k's more often around here--there is basically only one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! That sounds like it was incredible. And how awesome are you for signing up for another one already?!? You're amazing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations lady! And, that note from your sweet hubby. You are quite lucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Katie,

    This is such a wonderful post. I got all warm & tingly just reading this! You should feel so good about yourself. And so lucky to have such a great relationship with your sister, it is one to envy!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an amazing accomplishment, i wish i was able to run (physically unable too) so that i could do what you have done.

    what an awesome hubby you have to buy you flowers like that :)

    Good luck with the next one.

    Where did you place?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey girl! Love love love this!!! 5ks are amazing and so are you! So inspiring!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats! Thats awesome! You both are so cute...and SKINNY!!! I seriously need to get my butt in gear! You two are motovating!

    ReplyDelete
  27. A wonderful, happy day indeed! :D

    I think it's so neat that you ran with your sister too!

    And you know I'm so happy and proud of you and especially for signing up for another race already. WOOT!

    You'll be running longer ones in no time...

    GREAT JOB!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Katie, I literally cried when I read your post today. What a crazy awesome year you've had!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Katie, I don't know how to start but I have been following you for quite a while now and I wanted to say that I adore you. I think you are a very inspiring, cool mom and sweet sister. I've been meaning to comment on your post every time you have entry, but unfortunately, it always end up error. Anyway, congratulations to you. You have lost a lot of weight (I think) and you look really good.(blooming in fact). I am honestly shy on sending you this message but I will give it a try. Thank you for the inspiration you have been sharing us. I hope you have a wonderful week ahead with your lovely family. I hope you know that you are such an inspiration. Cheers from Switzerland (another fan of your from other continent) Ciao, xöxö

    ReplyDelete
  30. Im a new reader and I love your blog! You go girl! and by the way, I have registered for a 5k for Feb(thanks to u) wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congrats! I love your matching earrings. What a freaking accomplishment, it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  32. So glad that someone else says the buttcrack of dawn :) I am so proud of you! Not just for running, but for doing something that you never saw yourself doing! For pushing yourself to be your best!! For inspiring me to be my best!!!! And for sharing it with all of us! You rock!!! Love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is so awesome!! Your pics are great! I started running last year and after my first 5k, I was totally addicted too! I actually placed a couple times in my age group- such a great moment for a total "non-runner" starting out... and having your family there really makes the races so much fun! Congrats!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Holy cow. Go you! That is so awesome. I especially love that D is so behind you in all of that. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great job! It is wonderful to see how much support you have. I'll be running my second 5K on Thanksgiving morning:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations! This is an awesome post, and I love that you had matching earrings, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. You did it!!! Congrats on running your first 5k! I loved reading about your race day.

    ReplyDelete
  38. oh i love the pics of you and sue together! and that group shot of all you awesome girls!! such a triumph of all you have accomplished and so many people you have motivated! congrats to you girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Declan's note made me tear up. So did reading all about the race and your amazing day (because you're a great writer and because I'm 39 weeks preggo & hormonal). That is so sweet! 2011 was honestly your year. GO YOU!!! Good luck at your next 5k in 12 days. Maybe you're addicted. Do you get that runner's high? I'm not a runner, so I have no idea. Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Joy,
    Sara in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  40. Katie...I loved this post. You have come so far, and you truly are an inspiration to many women out there today. You totally rocked that run, just as you have rocked weight loss. I am so happy for you..And what an AWESOME husband to send you those beautiful flowers...so sweet!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Congrats on such an awesome accomplishment!!! You guys are too cute...and I love that your sister brought you matching earrings to wear on race day:-)

    Running does slowly becoming addicting after time...I never thought I would ever say that:-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hooray!!! Congrats on your first 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  43. This is SOOO awesome, Katie! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is awesome, I along with so many others are so proud of you!

    And that card from Declan melted my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Sorry I haven't been on to comment on this yet but you KNOW how proud I am of you and how much of an inspiration you are to us all. We'll be cheering for you on the next race! xox

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is belated I know but WAY TO GO! Congrats on finishing your first 5k Katie- sounds like it was a wonderful day! And look at you already signed up for another one! Runner's High definitely exists. :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi there! I'm a friend of Susan's from her YWAM days :) I've been following her weight loss journey and only recently learned of yours too! CONGRATS! As I read this post I teared up because you both bring me so much hope that I too can do this. Since having my first kiddo (2.5 years ago) I've never been the same. I've now had 3 babies and am very overweight for my 5'1 frame. My MIL just bought me weight watchers today to help me get going and reading this was very encouraging. Thank you for sharing your journey and inspiring me! I am excited/nervous to start!

    ReplyDelete