Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

My motivators

This weekend, as you know, I ran another 5k. Probably because of the bitter cold that's creeping up on us, that'll be my last one until Spring. And this time? I ran it beside not only my sister, but besides my friend Kristen, and my other friend Ash.

We were the most adorable group of four girls running you ever did see. 

Yes, that would be my pony-tail-a-swingin'.

I'm just so grateful to each of these girls for lots of reasons. 

Of course, my sister, Susan is the reason I began running at all. I mean, if she didn't spur me on to run that last 5k I'd probably still be spending naptime on the sofa with a bag of chips. Now I just do that a few times a week, and the other times I run. :) 

Attending her first 5k, when I wasn't running, just there cheering her on? Was total a turning point. I thought, hell if I'm not there to run the next one with her. And so I trained, and I got myself from a place of a non-runner to a 5k'er at least, and I couldn't...no, I wouldn't have done that without the motivation of my sister.

My friend Kristen. She also really helped motivate me, too. The great thing about our relationship is that she was a blog reader (although we had lots of mutual friends as it seems), who 'came out' (hehe) in one of my old de-lurking posts about a year ago or so. We started chatting, we have kids only a few months apart from one another, and both trying to lose the post-baby weight at the time. She and I became pretty fast friends, and since we don't live too far apart, we try to get together with the kids as often as we can.

Well, she and I both were all Okay, I'll run this 5k if you do. So we both started our behinds on the Couch to 5k program at about week 4...and every time we'd run, we'd text one another. Ask about the run. We'd whine if we didn't feel like running. We'd tell the other to get off the couch and do it anyway. And it helped. Big time. And we ran our first 5k together a few weeks ago. Granted, she ran it a ton faster than me (I blame the fact she was an athlete, ha). But, still! We did it.

Another one of the girls in that photo is Ashley. I'm grateful for her, too. See, she was/is a friend from Twitter. We knew we both lived pretty local, and ironically went to high school together but never really knew of each other. We both sort of took up running around the same time. We'd be all get your butt to the gym and do it anyway if motivation was lacking that day. Or we'd just comment on each other's runs, etc. We'd all signed up for the same 5k, and so the day I met her face to face? Was the day of my first 5k a few weeks ago.

So far, me, my sister, Kristen, and Ash have run two races together. And this past time? We all stuck by each other for most of the race. All of these girls have really helped me with my running goals and I appreciate them all so much. 


All this to say, that having some kind of 'support team'...for me? Is totally critical in this running thing. For me, it's part of the reason I'm able to keep going when I want to stop. It's the reason I get on the treadmill during naptime. Or it's the reason I'll go out for that run the second my husband walks through the door. 

For me, having some accountability...even in just the form of a text, tweet, phonecall--to moan, gripe, or cheer each other on....it's important. 

So, thank you, girls. Truly, thanks.

20 comments:

  1. I seem to identify very closely with this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really make me want to run. Or at least workout. But there is no time except middle of the night. I squeeze every minute I can out of my current might-kill-me-soon 5a-midnight schedule. I don't know how you find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl I so relate! You have been great at keeping me motivated and encouraging me along the way. My cousin is a runner, runs halfs and stuff, and she's such a great support too. Oh and J! He loves this change and encourages it every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post you are doing so good and you are a motivator for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So proud of you! And for real, you are looking teeny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That photo you posted this weekend made me smile. What a great hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for wonderful and supportive family and friends. What would we do without them? Congratulations on another 5K! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I truly believe a support system is key!
    congrats on another run! so, 10k next ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This makes me happy. Thank you for being one of my motivators :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so awesome that you have that! You are amazing for starting and finishing things- go you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can absolutely echo everything you wrote in this post. You and Susan have been such great motivators for me and I don't know if I could have done it without you girls. You are both great friends and great inspirations and I'm so glad I got to run with you girls! Next time, I'm going to finish with you girls too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A) you make me wish I had a sister
    B) you make me wish I had a treadmill
    C) you make me wish I was a SAHM so I'd had time to run on a treadmill
    D) you make me wish I had a running buddy for support

    But most importantly- you make me realize that not having those things is no excuse!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the first photo with your swinging pony-tail- how cute! And I totally agree- motivation from others is so encouraging!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so awesome you have your running friends to count on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You totally motivate me to work out!!! I got a few questions for ya :) as usual, hehe! Is there certain clothes that are better to run in. See I hate to run cause honestly I jiggle to much and I know you don't have any jigglies but was wondering what you thought?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Late to the party, but congrats on your second 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A support system is KEY. Love your smiles and so proud of you for getting out there and doin' it again!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. A great support system is important, especially in those times you want to fall off and get run over by the wagon :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that you and your sister and your friends do this together. :)

    I am convinced that if I hadn't had my little "group" I would not have made it through TColl. Having other people to support you is SUPER important.

    ReplyDelete