Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

Things are good

I was about to start this post by just venting. My shoulders are tense. The malls were crazy. My kid is currently fighting bedtime (it's Sunday night, by the way). My husband just went off to work again, for the second time today, and for the 4th time this weekend. Not a single present is wrapped. And gosh darn it, my house is a freakin' mess. Not the kind of mess that's easy to hide either. The kind of mess with clutter everywhere, and stained carpets.

Oh geez.

Forgive me. I just vented.

But the truth is, amidst all those things there are so many, many good things. I know often times I let the SUCK of life get me down. The stupid things that stress me about. Or feeling the burdens of my husbands work stress (it's hard on wives now, too--trust me). Or the fact that there are applesauce splatters on my wall, and goldfish crushed into every crevice of my carpets. But really...things are good. And it's not just because of things either.

Tonight, as my husband was reading our daughter her bedtime story, our yorkie was curled up next to the recliner, and I was just sitting there, thinking, dude, I have the best life ever. These people that are in my life, they are what make it. Things are good.

Earlier today my sister and I braved the malls for a few last minute gifts and tried on a dress or two for some upcoming Christmasey events, and we just stared at ourselves, standing side by side in the mirror, and were all, dudes....we are skinny. Oh my gosh, look how skinny my legs look! Does my waist really look this small? Gosh, running has really made me have nice legs. And I smiled. Things are good. 

We made one of those pre-made Stouffer kinda family meals for dinner tonight. Neither of us has the energy for anything else, and I fully expected it to be gross. I mean, it took friggin' 80 minutes to cook (good lawd, it took forever!) after all. But honestly, it was good. My belly was full, and we were satisfied. We had a hot meal. Things are good.

I've been complaining about having unwrapped gifts...but I have gifts to give. 

I was annoyed that my husbands key got stuck (yes, STUCK) in the door of the house tonight...but I have a house. A warm place to call home. 

The depths of filth (I so wanna blame my toddler for this, but I'll withhold) in my car disgusts me...but I have a good, working car. 

Sometimes I feel the pull of family dynamics and it stresses me out.....but we have family. Lots of family. And great family at that. 

Lots of times when I really stop and think about something, the things that feel like problems, or annoyances, or just little mishaps...really? Are just there to cover up bigger blessings. Or to chip away at my gratitude. And that's no good. 

This Christmas I'm reigning it in. 

I'm re-evaluating. And I'm taking note.

Thankful for all the people in my life. The place in life I'm at. And the things God has in store for us. They're all things I don't deserve, but I'm so blessed to have.

Things are good.

***

Happy Monday!

22 comments:

  1. This post gave me chills :) You are so right, my friend. And yes, you and Susan ARE that skinny and DO look that tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Katie, you have such a way with words. This is so true in my life too. I get so wrapped up in the "messes" of life a lot, like too much. This is a time of year to just reflect. So thank you for reminding us to all step back & enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great post for a tired Monday morning at work...just relishing a few minutes here before the craziness of happy, loud, Christmas-excited kids rush in the doors.

    I also read that Declan got stuck in the door, I didn't read the part about the keys and was picturing how the heck he was stuck...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good perspective! I often have remind myself of these "truths" as well when I'm getting all down on myself. Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true. I've been contemplating a post like this too, just because I needed a reality check. I even sent a text to B last night apologizing if I ever take him for granted. A very sweet friend of mine is going through a divorce (right at Christmas :/) and wrote about how she actually misses feeling ice cold feet touch her legs in the middle of the night. Just made me want to give her a big hug and also realize how blessed I am.
    Thanks for the reminder. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful attitude!! Thanks for sharing and inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! I've been doing some reevaluating myself, and I too think things are good. They are so good. And I'm excited for what the future holds for my little family. My life. Because now? I just feel so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Katie! It's so easy to get caught up in the stress and "have-to's" of this time of year. It's nice to take time to be thankful for the many blessings that keep us so busy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. After my day yesterday, I needed some perspective. Thanks, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This time of year, it's good to take a step back and really give thanks for what we have around us. I complain about all the things I have to do this holiday season, but you're right - I have family to give presents to and that's a pretty awesome thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great post. thanks for inspiring me to keep my attitude in check this week, and celebrate the GLORY that is around us. Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this post as I'm knee-deep in the beginning of weeding out a food allergy that has taken over my daughter's life. My daughter is currently in the next room over babbling to herself as she fights naptime with everything in her, even though for the past 2 nights she's slept miserably {and, so have I}. My nerves have been shot to hell and back 500 times in the last 48 hours... but, things are good. You are absolutely right about that. Every time life slows down for 2 seconds and I look at my perfect little family... I'm reminded of exactly how blessed I am.

    Ps. Was it the Stouffer's lasagna? I think that one takes a really long time to cook. We eat those Stouffer's meals probably once a week... they're sheer genius =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great reminder this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so right. I feel like the stresses of the Holidays have had us all in a mood lately, but I know we've got so much to be thankful for this year. Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I just wrote a total Debbie Downer post but I'm glad I read this because it cheered me up.and reminded me that, yes, things ARE good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm desperately trying to hold on to and claim all the JOY that this time of year brings! This was a great reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Phenomenal post. Thank you for reminding me to stop, breath, and think of all my blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always love how you always are positive like this. Love when you write these posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Finally catching up on blogs! Omg.... So behind!!! Great post , love!

    ReplyDelete