Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Messy Mom Mondays

A few of my blog friends are writing about keeping it real as a mom today. Moms who are being honest about just not having it all together all the time. Who don a messy house. Laundry that needs to be folded. One shaven leg (kidding. but maybe). The list goes on.

I'm all about being honest. I've written plenty of times about the hot mess I often am in this whole mommin' thing. How my house is almost always messy. Laundry rarely, if ever gets put away, and my bed? Is never, ever, made. EVER. Oh, and about how rarely I shower. Because it's true.

Pregnancy has made this all so much worse for me lately. Just feeling so terrible, and having no real desire to do anything other than sleep, rest, or...vomit. You know? Motivation level sinks.

So today I'm confessing I don't have it all together. I never do. And I'm okay with that.

My kitchen table....right now? Looks like this:
What? You don't keep a can of whipped cream handy? Quit judging me :)

Oh, and that stuff behind my laptop? All clutter. Things that need to find a home and have been sitting there for weeks. I know. Just sign me up for hoarders already.
Oh, if you noticed, those are a bag of Shockers candy. My craving, yo. My friend Gina mailed me some because I cannot find any around here. She rocks.

Kitchen floor always, always, always has toys on it. I trip and stub my toe on a daily basis. We have no playroom, and our 'living area' is only a small living room & kitchen. Hence, why toys are everywhere. Or because I don't find cleaning up during the day even a battle worth fighting. Before bedtime? Sure. But during the day? Why bother.

Somehow in this house the banisters have become hangers for everything. And it's a horrible habit and makes it look messy all the time. But let's be honest, it's SO MUCH EASIER to just hang things there.

While running around and snapping pics I peeked under the living room ottoman and found random mega blocks, an old dead laptop, a curdled sippy cup of milk (UGH), and crunched up cheez-its. I didn't take a picture because it was too hard to properly portray the yuck. But? I'll still tell you all about it. Feel lucky.

My bedroom is a mess. The bed is never made. The covers are never tucked properly. The floor is strewn with random crap that most likely my toddler helped put there. And the pretty dresser top is still overflowing with Christmas gifts that need to be put away. Christmas was almost a month ago

Pizza from Friday is still sitting, unedible, in a box on the counter in the kitchen.

Masses and masses of laundry is down in the basement, folded (thanks to my husband), but will likely never get put away (because I suck at that). 

Today, it's unlikely that I'll shower, even though I'm a day overdue because during the (ridiculously short) naptimes my kid takes these days, I'd rather lay down, too. I can never nap, unless pregnant. Ever. If I'm pregnant? I'm pretty much a nap champion. So I'll likely remain dirty.

And? The only reason I shave my legs these days is because we have swim class once a week. Without that? I'd be a hairy beast until the spring. That may or may not be based on facts from the past. Lucky for my husband we're doing swim.

----

Alright. I think you get the picture by now. We don't have it all together. I don't have it all together. But we have loved, well-adapted, happy children, yea? 

So it's all good.

Go link up with either Jess or Britt, and share your Messy Mom Monday post.

38 comments:

  1. That "clutter" on your table? Not very bad at all! We have much more & i clean it weekly & then it piles up again! MAIL! UGH! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. Everything you wrote about your house sounds exactly like mine but I'm not pregnant, I just have 2 kids under 2. But I don't care about the mess as long as my girls are happy cleaning can wait

    ReplyDelete
  3. The twitter request you just got was me, btw. Just one of your readers! I finally joined the twitter world. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are so real in your posts!! The clutter on my dining room table is out of control.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh girl THANK YOU for posting this! Remember last week when everyone was posting pics of their perfectly manicured bedrooms? I was cringing b/c my bed is NEVER made! Only on Mondays when my grandma babysits at our house, she makes it. But other than that it's a big heaping mess of blankets, always. Oh and the hairy legs? I pretty much have a once a week rule during cold months. Poor J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If we hadn't just cleaned the house from top to bottom for a party we hosted over the weekend I'd totally be joining in on this! Because normally? You can't even see our kitchen table. Or the island. The family room floor is constantly littered with toys. As is the hallway. And the stairs. We won't even mention the tile floors. Yikes!! Oh. And the icing in the cake? We just took down our Christmas decorations. Yep we are those people.

    Thanks for keeping it real today!

    Ps. I totally looked for Shocktarts for you the other day but came up empty handed. I usually see them at gas stations. Next time I fill up I will see what I find! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute post. Your mess is cute too...really, it is. You don't even want to see this mess. Ha! ;)

    I think you always look/seem like you've got it together...that's a talent. Especially if/when unshowered. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never know what to do with my table-top clutter! I always have piles of randomness, just waiting to have a space to claim for their own.

    No joke --- we will invite people over just to force ourselves to make our home look habitable. Omg. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! The honestly of these posts really help moms, like me, who feel inadequate and overwhelmed! I try to tell myself that it's ok that I dont have it all together but it's still nice to see that other moms of toddlers dont have it all together either!

    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. I HATE finding random sippy cups of curdled milk. Nine times out of ten, I just throw them away.

    Thanks for being REAL, always :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh girl I feel ya. We too have a small living area so toys are always out everywhere! Your table? So,not bad at all! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this link up, I can't wait to join in. I actually cleaned...well I picked up yesterday so I'll have to wait 24 hours, or less to snap some pictures. Now that I'm looking around the house, I think I have enough of a mess already.

    And making the bed? Me neither...never. Last time I made the bed was only because an appraiser was coming over.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah. Welcome to normal, I think. I love that we're all in the same boat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! Way to make me smile on a Monday morning, Katie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Katie, if there's anything I'm learning right now, it's don't sweat the small stuff and for me to focus on what's important!

    I love the way you keep it real. I just want to say you're a great Mom with a thriving chilled who you adore, a wonderful husband who adores you, and you're a great wife. In the grand scheme of things, that clutter means squat!! :)

    Keep on girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great. And I love the curdled milk you found. I think I did that twice last week. :) I just hope you weren't the one to dump it out, being pregnant and all. If so, you're a brave girl.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad Brittany and Jess started this idea- it's about time us moms got more real with each other about the state of our houses etc- why are we always striving towards this perfection standard? Crazy! I blame society- we need to know that while we're sitting there looking at our messy house, hating it but not having the energy to change it- that a billion other moms are doing the exact same thing. Thanks for keeping it real as always!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love this post. and it made me feel normal. so going to have to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. you never know what "treasures" you will find under the couch. sometimes it's like winning the lottery... (for my boys).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pretty sure the can of whipped cream takes the cake here :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wish my house was only as messy as yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The clutter on your table has NOTHING on my kitchen bar! haha! I remember what it's like to be terribly sick while preggo with number 2, all the while taking care of the toddler. It's hard, SO hard. You are doing a great job. =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This makes me feel so much better, to know I'm not the only person who has a banister that looks like that. Because really, what is a banister other than a really great place to hang bags?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lol. . . Love the post and your no showering self :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks like my kitchen table. Which has doubled in our house as my desk!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this because its so true that we dont always have our act together but as long as our kids are happy its all good :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE THIS, Katie. I love it when people keep it real.

    I haven't gotten out of bed today. I mean, I took a bath last night, but I'm still in PJs. It's so warm and nice in here.

    Bedroom is a hot mess. Clothes everywhere. I have to dig when I do get dressed and go out somewhere.

    But hey. It's winter. And you're pregnant. It's definitely better for you to rest than to try to be supermom. I hope the sickness lets up soon, though. It sucks to feel crappy like that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The only way I'd sign you up for hoarders is if that kitchen table was piled with stuff beneath and above. and if the rest of your house looked MUCH worse than this. What your describing here is just regular life, IMHO. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. We'd make a fortune if we could figure out an easy, basically self-organizing system for the kitchen table/counter. It's always been my dumping ground!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This totally made me laugh out loud. I always run around cleaning before the housekeeper comes on Tuesdays and it's like WTF is the point of a housekeeper if I clean before she comes???

    ReplyDelete
  32. Two things- We have Shockers down here! They're yummy. Right now I love those chewy mini sweet tarts though. And? I never make our bed either. No excuse. Just lazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for being real!! I cannot express it enough to just be yourself. It shows you are comfortable in your own skin:) Love it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love Shockers and I seem to have a hard time finding them around where I live too! bummer...

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am having so much fun going through these MMM posts on Britt's blog :-) Our kitchen table seems to be a catch-all for stuff that doesn't have a home. Not sure how that happens, but every week it's a mess! And if we had banisters in our apartment, I guarantee that they'd have stuff hanging off them. Instead, I use doorknobs and mirrors!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the Eagles glass on your desk! We used to live in Center City Philadelphia and miss all the sports teams and being able to walk to everything (except Ikea, which was a forever drive at the wrong time of day!).

    ReplyDelete