Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Signs I no longer have a baby, but a kid.

The other day Emeline and I met my younger brother for a breakfast/lunch Diner date just before he had to head back to San Diego.

After asking for a highchair, I finally resigned to the fact that my child was not going to sit in that thing. She does the whole arch-my-back & whine thing that makes it physically impossible to get her IN the chair to begin with. I should have known.

So I sat her in the booth next to me, and of course, she's happy as a clam.

Fine. I can deal with this.

Then, the next thing you know, I notice that my kid is leaning over the back of booth, peeking her little face over the edges to see the elderly couple sitting behind us.

They spotted her, too.

And the next thing you know, I hear the following conversation.

Eme: "Hiiiii!!!"

Couple: "Well, hello! How are you?"

Eme: "Goo!" (good)

She looks back at me all proud-like.

Couple: "What's your name?"

She looks at me, as if it to check & see if it's okay to tell strangers her name and I give her The Nod.

Eme: "EME!!!!!!"

Couple: "What a pretty name!"

Eme: "I pretty!" (omg. I tell her she's pretty too much. haha.)

Couple: "Did Santa bring you presents?"

Eme: "HO! HO! HO!"

And then I died.

How did my child get old enough to TALK and old enough to have a conversation? With strangers? At the diner? Over the edge of the booth?

Wow, just wow.

And in that moment, I realized she is growing up too fast. But she's a pretty cool kid.




36 comments:

  1. That has to be the cutest thing ever. EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome!! Awesome meaning she can carry out that conversation- and cute that the elderly couple was so intrigued by her cuteness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cutie pie. This never ends, by the way. It'll just hit you at the most random times.

    OK, Aidan is nine, and I still often go HOLY CRAP I HAVE A KID AND HE'S RIGHT THERE AND HE'S REAL WTF.

    Yeah. Those moments never end. You will be dying a lot.

    anywhere-is.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute toddler moment!! Just remember this on days like earlier this week, HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well now if that doesn't just melt the heart! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahaha OMG, that's the cutest thing ever. She's turning into a little person! That's so crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That literally made me LOL. That is so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's so cute. i'm in shock too every time my guy can talk to me like a semi normal person. two years has gone by way to fast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is too cute! I absolutely love kid conversation. It is the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so adorably hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my word i am crying laughing over here. i had to read this out loud to jenn cause it's the cutest thing. i feel bad for all your readers who weren't reading this in eme's cute voice. haha. this is so her. man i love that kid!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww too cute!!! It goes by way too fast doesn't it? I just realized this afternoon that Logan is becoming less and less of a baby and more and more of a toddler...he was standing at a table reaching for his sippy cup and as he stood there with it he looked like a little boy! Why do they rush to grow up so fast? At least you'll have another baby soon to squish and cuddle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am scared of the toddler-tantrum phase, but this is adorable. Maybe it won't be so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! I can't wait til mine get old enough to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. She is too cute. I remember when both of mine hit that stage where I could no longer fool myself into thinking they were still babies :( Heart-breakingly proud moment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet baby girl! There's your proof that you are a great mom! Personality says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is such a smart girl!! And never stop telling her she is pretty! Because she is! :) Always!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How sweet! What a talker too. Things are just going to get even more interesting from here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute! Kid conversations are the best

    ReplyDelete
  20. haha! this made me laugh. She's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. totally adorable! isn't it weird when you realize that the baby is just gone? OMG makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is just so cute. I love how she told them she is pretty (she is!) and Ho Ho Ho!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute! I love it. Cannot wait for this.

    E knows her name is "Eea" and she says it when she sees her reflection or a picture of herself, but we're still working on her answering the "What is your name" question.

    ReplyDelete
  24. She is a VERY cool kid! I kind of love that she says she's pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This story doesn't talk about your cool younger brother enough. You should get on that. : p

    ReplyDelete
  26. So cute!

    And she's just practicing so she can talk to her new baby sister/brother soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete