Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Things I learned this weekend...

...my car will fail me. It was in the shop on Friday, and then? The battery died while in the driveway yesterday afternoon. Could it have died about two days earlier, you know, in the parking lot of the service center? Apparently not.

...my husband is particularly good at detailing a car and there is no excuse for why I ever drive around in a dirty car now that I know his amazing detailin' skillz. Okay, so maybe I should be better about keeping my car clean to begin with. But still. It's hard with a kid, man.

...putting the car seat in and out of multiple cars over and over again due to said car troubles? Will drive my husband crazzzzzzy. I don't know if anyone else has the Britax Roundabout but that thing is a pain in the arse to get in and out.

...also, am I the only mother on the face of the planet that has no earthly idea how to install a car seat? (Not the infant kind...you know, the bigger ones?) 

...having two puke-free and relatively nausea-free days does not mean I'm in the clear. In fact, the next day my puking will return so violently just to be all, I told ya so.

...my sister can talk me down from the ledge in pretty much any situation and I'm grateful for her sound advice and wisdom. Also for her encouragement in reminding me who I am when I need to hear it.

....having Declan take photos for a review (that I'll post tomorrow) of me in maternity pants? Torturous, I mean, fun. I should have just set up a tripod and done it myself. But thanks, sweetie :) haha.

...simple worship songs at church can send me to tears when I need it. I love that. I was having a really rough morning yesterday and we were singing "Victory is Mine". The verse Joy is mine...Joy is mine...Joy today is mine... just hit me. I can choose joy. I needed to hear that and let it kind of soak into my heart and mind.

...I am loved. Only God can judge my heart and He knows my desires, my intentions, my heart and passion for His calling on my life and the life of my family. I am free in knowing that despite being a sinner, I am redeemed by grace alone.

...I still hold true to the fact that I cannot watch action'y movies without feeling sick to some degree. I know it sounds weird, but I watched something I wouldn't normally watch last night with my husband and went to bed with an intense headache. As usual, I then woke up with the same headache. I'll stick to my rom-com's or sappy movies from now on.

...even though I thought it was impossible, I stayed up on Friday night hanging out with two of my sisters until nearly MIDNIGHT. I know, HA-HA right? But, dude I am so sleepy when pregnant and end up in bed most nights by 9pm'ish. So, midnight? That's LATE for me. I felt like such a big girl.

...getting a manicure (thanks to my Living Social deal, and also? For FREE b/c I had 3 friends buy from me...thanks y'all) and then spending the entire next day scrubbing your brother-in-law & sister-in-law's new house will result in said manicure being no longer. Good thing it was free, yea?

...along with that, scraping paint off of and then cleaning both the inside and outside of 12+ windows brings an unusual but fulfilling satisfaction. Now, to find the motivation to clean the insides and outsides of MY windows. Ha...right. I'm putting this on my nesting-urge list. You know, when that phase hits and all.

...pretty feet make me oddly happy, so thank God that free pedicure is still in tact ;)

Happy Monday!


27 comments:

  1. So sad that your mani didn't last! I hope you car starts cooperating, because car seats are a pain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post kate. it was a jam-packed weekend, wasn't it? thanks for the shout out. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I need to do the same on my windows. But it's so not fun! Add to it that I have a giant cactus underneath the one window that needs it the most. Wanna come do mine for me? ;-) I promise to help you pick cacti needles out of your baby bump when you finish, haha. Not enticing? Darn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't do actiony movies either. Not b/c I get sick though, just don't like them. Makes for a miserable movie night in the Dew house b/c J loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you're going to be so proud of me then. I had to learn how to install Noah's big car seat all by myself one time. It was NOT fun. And dude, it IS hard to keep a car clean with a kid!

    The "choose joy" thing seems to be a theme for me this year. I'm reading it (and writing it) everywhere. Love it when songs really resonate. At least for me, it turns the song from just a song into real honest-to-goodness worship.

    Sorry about the crappy day yesterday, though. Hope this week is much better and makes up for it somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will take the Roundabout over the Boulevard any day!! I have Boulevard in my car and Adam has the Roundabout in his truck. If we ever need one of our car seats removed? It is his. Mine is staying in my car FOREVER.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie, go to the fire dept. or look up car seat checks in your area :) They will be able to teach you how to properly install her seat. I am a car seat nazi and I still have to call my girl to help me :)
    On that note, we also spent the extra money to buy another car seat for hubs car, yeah it was expensive but I never have to take it out again until it is time to raise her straps. Then if hubs needs to pick her up, he just goes and gets her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Putting in a car seat really isn't that bad, especially when they're forward facing and using LATCH--I promise!

    Our car is always ridiculous--and it doesn't help that neither of us are particularly clean in that way. I've found axes, adult sized footie pajamas, and all sorts of pipe/plumbing tools in the trunk area. I'm always like, "WHAT is this, and WHY is it in our car?!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also have no idea how to install a car seat. I don't even know how to do the infant one. I'm sure I could figure it out but I have a husband that can do it...although maybe I should lean.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I needed this in more ways than one. The "choose joy" was right on the money. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can tell you right now you are not the only mom who doesn't know how to install a car seat!! I have no idea how to, my husband always does it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My hubby and I went and saw Avatar in 3d when I was pregnant... mistake! I spent most of the 2nd half of it with my eyes closed because it made me so sick and gave me such a bad headache.

    I have the britax roundabout and have no idea how to install it. My hubby hates messing with that thing too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have no idea how to insall a carseat. And I have no intention of learning so that my hubs will keep doing it for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um yea. The carseat thing? You are not alone. And girl ,you should have waited for your mani on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should try the "2-week gel manicure"-it's a keeper:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Songs at church are constantly sending me to tears. SO touching

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, busy and educational weekend, huh? ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ditto on the carseat thing. They render me completely helpless!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know how to do the carseat either. Well, I don't really even try, because just looking at it stresses me out. haha

    I loved your thoughts on God knowing your heart and calling for you and your family. I can get so caught up in "well, that will look so crazy, or I must be crazy for wanting that!" but it isn't up to other people, and who cares what it looks like! Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like you had a good weekend overall! I love that song "Victory is Mine." So grateful for God's love and grace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Irish@Lovesoflife....Choose JOY. = ) You had such a busy weekend full of so MUCH. I do like action movies BUT...I'm like you in that I will take a rom-com over that anyday. Hope you feel better Katie. Take care.

    Irish

    ReplyDelete
  22. That totally sucks about your car. You never realize how much you rely on then until they break down.

    As for the carseat, give it a try. It's not so bad. It's kind of role reversal at our house....I don't think my husband could install it. I'm kinda weird about them though, I don't trust anyone to install it right besides me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh man, a friend of mine has totally become a car seat installation nazi (like, i think she's actually become CERTIFIED in how to install them), but i'm not sure what one or two places i could direct you to on the subject. but she keeps posting on her FB about it. i'll try to find you something. i do know that she feels extremely strongly about how people need to use rear-facing car seats.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh dear - I hope your violent puking doesn't reappear too many more times!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yeah, I'll pretty much go to any lengths to avoid installing a car seat.
    Hopefully those two days of non-puking herald the beginning of the end of morning sickness!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Don't feel bad that you can't install the "big" car seat. I cannot for the life of either. It is impossible!

    ReplyDelete
  27. grr-I hate moving the car seat. We have a Britax boulevard and a roundabout and a cosco scenara. Yes, we have THREE car seats. We only have 2 cars. Once a week, my awesome friend keeps Monroe while I lead a small group at a local college, but I have to drop him off to her after her Bible study, so I had to move the seat. That's taking the boulevard out, installing it in her car, then taking it out and installing in mine every Thursday. Her car doesn't have latch in the way back either, so I'd always rip my hands to shreds trying to feed that seatbelt through. Finally, I told Fred we were buying the $40 dollar scenara (it's only 40 bucks and still has a great rating-definitely worth my sanity!). It has a wider hole for the belt and I can leave mine installed. Mama is a much happier camper at drop off now!

    ReplyDelete