Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sassy lips, oh my.

I woke up this morning and scrolled through my instagram feed on my phone. Instantly I was seeing post after post of flowers, chocolates, love notes, oh my! It must be Valentines day. Everyone can see now that your husband loves you. Roses! You have a fabulous boyfriend. YAY! You got the chocolate covered strawberries your heart desires. Swoon. Your pancakes are cut in the shape of a heart. Adorable! Not to mention those freaking downright ridiculously cute homemade valentines you made your 1 year old. Creativity overload.

I was most excited for today because I had plans to attend a Mary Kay Brunch party at my sisters house. With a bunch of sweet women I love and adore. I wanted the chance to dress up in my red hot maternity skinnies (not sure how 'skinny' they are these days), and drop my kid off at my parents for the morning. No time for heart shaped pancakes here. Momma's morning out!

In fact? My toddler threw a tantrum because I (god-forbid) sliced her banana instead of giving it to her whole this morning. The horror.

A Valentines outfit for her? Nope. I didn't have one planned. The one cute Valentines-ish outfit she got for Christmas from my sister in law was dirty because she wore it only 3 days ago. Planning is not my strong suit. But we made something else work.  And she got out the door with hearts on her shirt. I call that a win.


We managed to even stop for two valentines day balloons on the way. Besides, couldn't walk in empty-handed to my parents, drop my kid off & be all HAPPY DAY OF LOVE, PEACE OUT! without at least sending a balloon. And my kid, of course.

Finally, to the Mary Kay facial party I went. I am a ginormous MK fan, you guys. Like, love. Love love love. Yes, it's a wonder I don't sell the stuff. In fact, I'm sure my friend & amazing consultant wonders the same thing. But honestly? I'd just rather give her my business. She did a RED LIP LOOK on me! A RED HOT LIP!

I swore I could not pull this off, and maybe I still can't--BUT! RED LIPS! HOT RED LIPS! ow ow!

me & my sissy, red-lippin' it yo.
Sassy? Oh boy. You know it. That's how I felt. It was so much fun. And enough to finally get me in the V-day mood. I left there with red hot lips, a bag full of goodies from Aunt Susie to Emeline, and my red pants on. I mean, HELLO. I was a walking valentines day billboard. I should have been glowing with hot-pink lights, too.

I pulled into my parents to pick up The Girl, and she could NOT stop staring at my lips. She kept telling me how pretty it was and she wanted me to kiss her lips transferring some of the lipstick onto her. Don't die of the cuteness, because I already did. I'm writing this from the grave.

You know what else? We left my parents with the same dang balloon we came with. Because? My kid bawled her eyes out when we tried to leave the "boon! boon!!!!" with my mom.  Talk about a gift-giving fail. I'll have to teach her all about that thing we call being an indian-giver. (Sidenote: why DO we call it that?)

I walked into my house and on my kitchen counter sat two of the prettiest flower bouquets I ever did see. One with a card for me, and one with a card for Emeline. My heart stopped a little and I let out a sweet sigh. My man. He pulled through. What a good daddy & husband he is.

And you know what? I instagrammed that shizz instantly. LOOK HOW LUCKY WE ARE!!!!!!!! HE LOVES US! HE REALLY LOVES US! And then? I let my toddler tear into the gifts from her Aunt. And now? I look around my house, can smell my roses, and it looks like Valentines Day exploded all over the 2nd floor--but? Totally happy about it.

Yes. I think I do like this "holiday" quite much. Even though I postponed Valentines Day until next week in this household. Don't ask.

***

Happy day of lurrrve. I'm feelin' it.

26 comments:

  1. oh i love it when your posts literally make me laugh out loud. the balloon thing cracks me up. that is such an emekay thing to do. haha. i'm sure mom and dad didn't mind. ;)

    and you can totally rock that red lip girl. i find it hilarious that my can of diet coke has red lip stain on it. makes me feel all mysterious or something. haha

    love you sissy! thanks for my balloon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look adorable in that tunic/red pants combo! Great outfit!

    And it's called "Indian giving" because it's insinuating that Indians (Native Americans) give gifts but expect them back (or something equal in return).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love absolutely everything about this post. Everything. =) Happy mushy gushy Valentines Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your blog! You usually make me laugh out loud and are such a great writer. And you know how precious E. is :)! Great post...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Valentine's Day more than ever this year too. Maybe it's the new snazzy tennies I'm sporting from B (Happy heart day to me, yo!) or the fact that I have three boys that have my heart this year. Sadly, I had parent drop off duty this morning and I was the annoying teacher..."Happy Valentine's Day!" "Happy Valentine's Day!" "Haaappppy Valentine's Dayyyyyy!" and they all looked at me like I was nuts. Whatever. They had heart shaped cookies at lunch so V-Day redeemed itself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emeline looks so cute with her outfit. She looks like a little teeny-bopper with her snow boots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks GORGEOUS on you! And gah! flowers for you and your girl? Swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hot mama! Hope y'all have a lovely Valentine's day no matter when you celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sweet of your hubby! Enjoy what's left of your Valentine's Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can totally pull those lips off girl! And I luurve the red skinnies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. GORGEOUS! I always want to pull of red hot lips, then decide there's no way I can walk out like that so I don't. You may have convinced me otherwise. Must be all in our heads. lol. Let me guess... it's their new "Really Red" color? :)
    My fav MK lip combo is sheer blush lipcolor with Sugarberry lip gloss (I think it's been discontinued, but the newer "Berry Tart" is really really close).
    Love both your outfits too. Very cute.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The red lip looks HAUTE. Why would you think you couldn't pull it off?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look great with red lipstick! I love those red pants too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look HOT with red lips!!! I love it! And I love the red skinnies!! SO cute! You and Eme both looked super valentine cute today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You were right, your red pants are FABULOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey! I'm a new-ish reader. LOVE your blog, your writing is great (thanks for the laughs)!
    You TOTALLY rock that red hot lip.
    P.S. we grew up saying "giver-taker-baker", I guess my mom was trying to be more PC. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You girls look super sassy with those hot, red lips! ;) Glad you had fun at your brunch and the jeans look great!

    p.s. I was sick today so... yeah, definitely postponing V-day here, with my crew. Good thing we love each other every day, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your red jeans, and your red lipstick. I've never been brave enough to wear it, I'm always afraid it won't look right. :S

    ReplyDelete
  19. You ROCK the red lips! I discovered red lips yesterday, too (to match my valentine's nails, of course) and my husband was a fan. I'm going to have to try it again today and see if it looks good without all the valentines spirit.

    I always thought it was called indian giver because people kept giving land and stuff to the native americans and then being like, oh wait, there was gold there? Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm obsessed with the red lips on your and susan! You both are totally rockin' it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just have to tell you how great you look. Really, you do. That may be the best NON maternity outfit I've ever seen. ;)

    ...and you can totally rock red lips.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can see how the overflowing feeds of V-Day stuff can be kind of silly but when it's YOUR beloved giving you things, it's all you can do not to post it right away! I think D did an amazing job picking out flowers for you and E. What a sweet guy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Totally lovin' the impromptu outfit for the little miss:) & if I say so myself, you look pretty rockin' too.

    That's wonderful you got to have a momma's AM out! That sounds a perfect V-day. Who needs roses & candy anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is called Indian giver because when the pilgrims came to America, they took the items given to them by Indians thinking they were gifts. They didnt understand the Indians wanted to trade goods, they werent gifts. It is also a term that many people find derogatory and take offense too. Same goes when someone says they were "gyped". Both words, I do not use as to not offend people.

    ReplyDelete
  25. maybe someone already commented on this, but you look so much like maggie gyllenhal in that picture with your sister!

    ReplyDelete