Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A dose of patience for you, a dose for me.

Did you ever notice that children have this way about them...? I mean, they're kids. They can't help it. It's bound to happen. You know what I mean.

You have the car packed for an outing, 45 bags in your hand trying to get out the door, your kid(s) sitting there with only one shoe on because they just took one off after you put them both on. You're fumbling over all your bags trying to wrangle your dog, put the daggone shoe back on, and then after that's over, you turn your head for two seconds to shove the milk sippy cup in your bag that you almost forgot only to see that your kid just spilled cold coffee down her perfectly clean (and new) shirt.

You breathe a very, very deep breath (aka, a sigh), and drop all your bags. You tell your "uh-oh, uh-oh"ing toddler it's okay and march back up your billion townhouse steps to change her shirt. While up there, you realize you better soak that new shirt or else that stain will never come out. While rinsing that shirt for .3 seconds, the kid(s) find their way into something else. You know, like pulling all the books off the bookshelf, or playing (and breaking) all of momma's necklaces. Whatever.

You're all ready to leave now. You tell your kid it's time to go, and they want to jump to you instead of walk down the steps themselves. Fine. It's faster that way anyway. "I jump momma!" She jumps. Pregnant, tired momma sighs again, and wonders how long she'll be able to keep up with the jumping stairs act. For now, momma still can handle it. Sort of.

You realize that adorable clip you had placed perfectly in her hair mysteriously went missing before we even got in the car. Great. You then throw in the lime-green clip you found on your kitchen floor instead because you don't have the energy to search for the perfect one that actually matches, which is probably all the way in her bedroom, 3 floors up.

When you're finally ready to open that door to get all bodies in the car, your mischievous, sneaky little dog runs out beneath your feet and straight for the street. You drop the bags for the millionth time and go running for your dog before he A) gets hit by a car, or B) acts like some bad-A dog and starts barking up a storm at the poor little toddler boy across the street. Within a minute or so, you get your dog to throw put him back in the house, only to find your toddler roaming the side yard playing with "buggies" and telling a bumblebee (!!) "you're so cute!"

Aye-yi-yi.

You coax the kid back to the car before she gets herself stung and we have that fiasco to deal with. You strap 'em in, after they've asked for their sunglasses (in which you must shove a bunch of crap on the floor to side to find in the first place) and then give her a book. You fling a bunch of bags into the car and then finally get into the drivers seat yourself, buckling your seatbelt, and thanking Jesus you've finally made it into the car. When...you realize you left your sunglasses just inside the door (that you just locked), and you will for sure need them on this extra sunny day.

Back in the house. Get your sunglasses. Back in the car. Turn up the music. Loud. And you're finally off.

And this is even prior to arriving at your destination. In which case we all know about a million other kid occurrences happen. Outfit changes. Diaper explosions. Running out of wipes. Dumped bag of goldfish everywhere. Meltdowns for no particular reason. You forgot the stroller. You name it.

I think you get the idea. And this is why moms run late so often, just sayin'. And? Double, triple, quadruple these scenarios depending on the number of kids you have. Truly. Granted, some days the stars align and you can get out of the house in a flash,  or have a perfect, flawless time out. But most the time? I run into lots of little detours. Which is okay, and normal, I think.

Through all the little detours in my plans, throughout our day, due to little mishaps, or my kid just being a kid--I realize how much I have to just let go. I say a little prayer here and there to just have more patience. More grace. More go with the flow-type attitude. That's all I can do.

My reaction to situations, my ability to just chill-out and not stress over the little things then helps my attitude the rest of the day. It's a little thing, but something I pray as my family grows, that I'll be granted extra doses of patience.

Okay, loads of it, please.

*My friend Gina wrote a post the other day that spurred on this post. So thanks, G :)

29 comments:

  1. Wow! I couldn't have said this better myself! This scenario happens almost daily at our house too, it's comical. Some days I'm all, eh whatever, and other days I'm literally pulling my hair out wondering if it's even worth it to go wherever we are going that day. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a huge dose of patience everyday. Sometimes I let it get the best of me but I'm trying to get better and make myself take a step back. Glad I'm not the only one that had to pray in the matter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every mom who reads your post today is going to sigh a deep sigh and say, "Oh lord, I know EXACTLY what she's talking about". I was getting stressed out just reading your post! I struggle in the patience department about 1/2 the time... the other part I feel like I have incredible patience to let her just be a kid. But, often, it's not when we're trying to get out the door. Thanks for reminding me that we're supposed to be patient. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *sigh* this is our routine every time we have to leave the house. This very routine makes it difficult for me to get to work on time 5x a week. YIKES! Somehow I sail in at the very last second but I feel grateful to have just made it. This was not me pre-kids, I was the one who was 15 minutes early.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't tell you how many times I say that I don't know how I became a parent because I don't have enough patience!

    Reading this makes me so glad that I don't have a car right now so I don't have to go through that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just perfectly described my day most days...minus the matching hair clips lol. Ugh we all need patience and yeah I'm pretty much 15 minutes late everywhere we go no matter how early I start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post Katie! It is all so true. I've been thinking about getting a license plate with some form of "Always 30 min late". I attempt to leave "early" if I have somewhere to be at a specific time but I am still at least 20 min late. I'm usually struggling with all those things you mentioned plus the fact that I'm making and feeding my kids their breakfast in the car b/c I'm ALWAYS late. It is also inevitable that my 18 month old will poop her diaper right as I'm finally ready to walk out the door for the last time... or not. I think toddlers have a secret code amongst them :). They sure are cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew. I'm exhausted now! ;) I feel ya though. We've all been there. That extra dose of patience really does come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES. I watch Lizzy's cousin two days a week, and we literally have to leave a half an hour early to get two streets away to the library for storytime...an hour if we're walking! Granted, sometimes we sit in the car for fifteen minutes if we're walking, but sometimes we roll in literally a minute before it starts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep. Totally been there. A lot.
    I've always been afraid of asking for patience. That prayer is usually followed by a week straight of these types of days. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha, sounds exhausting just reading about it, you forgot being 5 minutes from the house and having to turn around when you a. realize your phone is still inside the house or b. the child asks for something you forgot! Why do they insist on bringing everything they own with them every time you leave the house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are supermom!!!!! :)

    In all seriousness, love this post and on days like that, God extends his grace and his hand out a little more!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to add that my husband thinks I am off my rocker half the time because I can't remember to buy the milk... oh gee... could it be because of all these little occurrences that distract me? I totally know how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO true. Thanks for this post. All we can do sometimes is just take a step back and breathe...then continue on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you happen across any of that extra patience, can you send a little my way??? LOL. I can't even imagine wrangling a toddler and being pregnant...you get major props!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sometimes I think my two year old gets in to little hings only to preoccupy me enough to get into other stuff! And it isn't just a toddler teait - my five year old STILL tries my patience on the regular.

    One day we will miss this... one day we will miss this...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you're already putting this into practice because you're definitely going to need it when baby comes along. Just keepin' it real. ;)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seriously, going anywhere with my kiddos takes me forever. I try to just not do it. I'm usually stresed before the garage door closes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. being preggers with #6 i always try to be early...i never want ppl to think 'oh she's always late..'

    i can't always say i'm put together though...the kids are dressed with shoes on...i always have to double check i have a bra and panties on haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your description made me giggle. I could really visual your struggle. Wow, I think Moms are such rock stars. Don't think I have enough patience to handle all that everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'll take 57 doses of this patience, please.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Seriously, this is sooooo true in so many ways it's ridiculous! One day, coming home from day care. I got Chloe out of the car and grabbed all the many bags from the car. (my purse, my work bag and her day care bag) and we start our journey up the walk. When I get to the porch, climb the stairs and put the key in the door, I turn around only to see Chloe RUNNING down the walk straight for the STREET....omg, so I push the door open, throw the bags inside and run after her. Crazy girl. She only made it to the tree, and she was giggling the whole way, but I tell you, I about had a heart attack!! So, I totally feel ya girl! I get it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i read this earlier at work, but had to stop halfway through because i was getting all worked up for you. i can't tell you how many morning like this we have. sigh.. and if you find some of that patience, can you please share? k thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So it was one of those fiascos which you so perfectly described getting into the car, only Shiloh wasn't happy and was crying and throwing a huge fuss. I had just read a blog about praying before speaking and so I tried it. We were buckled into the car and on the road and he was still crying/screaming and I said "Mommy's going to pray now!" and he quieted up and waited while I prayed outloud for patience and wisdom and peace. Not that God is our "charm", but he helped me then and there and it was such a Duh! moment. Why don't I involve Him more often?

    on a side note... I don't worry about the shoes until we are at the destination. For us its so much easier and not worth the hassle on days where he is determined not to wear them.

    and You're already a pro for multitasking for when number two arrives!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Baha. BAHAHAHA!

    Not because I'm laughing at you, but because its my life. Times four. And then some.

    Parenthood isn't for the weak, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh man!!! Sooo needed this!!! I go through this WEEKLY (thank goodness it's not daily), when I run my errands.

    Patience....patience is very much needed. And I feel so horrible on the days I lose it. :(

    Little things I have learned: Shoes just go thrown in the truck. And I know to get MYSELF dressed and ready FIRST b/c if I dress the boys first, then they are at the front door having meltdowns b/c they want to leave already. I put the boys in the truck, turn it on...THEN gather the rest of my stuff. And cannot forget the cars, or trains, or books they just have.to.have before your trip.

    Ahhh....the life of a Momma. Gotta <3 it! ...and I pray for every one of us, Mommas to have all the patience we need for our happy, chaotic life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I feel like patience has become a lot greater now that Morgan has entered the terrible twos a little early. Kids just require a ton of patience for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  28. First of all, THANK YOU for the shout out. As you know, shout outs from your blog go a l-o-n-g way for little ole me. ;) So thank you.

    And? I SO know. Especially now that our house is on the market. It makes the getting-out-of-the-house-in-the-morning-chaos even more, well, chaotic.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Katie you said it perfectly! Know how you feel:)

    ReplyDelete