Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

I believe in Kony 2012.

Ignorance is bliss? No. Ignorance is just ignorance.

You guys, I wanna talk about all the Invisible Children #Kony2012 stuff you see going around, because this is a cause I believe in. I have family invested into this cause. I have family who spends time in Africa on a yearly basis. I believe this is an opportunity for us to all have a worldview. Band together and do something, anything, because SOMETHING is better than nothing.

I have been so appalled that a measly Tumblr site created by some joe schmo college kid, taking a negative/opposing viewpoint on IC's Kony 2012 mission has become the talking point surrounding this. That there are people spreading this message to oppose something so great that IC is doing. And the fact that people take what this kid is saying as gold? And then spreading the negativity? Using verbiage such as "a hoax", "a scam", "a publicity stunt" in regards to something THIS LIFE CHANGING?

Dang. This is exactly the reason our world is so corrupt. Because there will always be people opposing, rather than seeing a good thing (capturing the man who enslaves & enslaved thousands of children), and being part of the solution instead of the problem.

The good news is, Invisible Children put out a public statement just last night where they're able to set the record straight based on the critiques they've received. And this is CRITICAL that you read and understand it, especially if you want knowledge. Especially if you WANT to know the truth. To not remain ignorant to so called "facts" & slanders.

I'm willing to bet that those trying to disrupt such a cause haven't even watched the Kony 2012 video. And if you are someone who hasn't watched it yet, DO. Please. Do. I know it seems long, but it's too good not to take the 29 minutes to watch.



KONY 2012 from INVISIBLE CHILDREN on Vimeo.

I've mentioned before that my little brother works in San Diego for Invisible Children and has for the last few years. In fact, he created the design work surrounding this entire thing. The donkey/dove/elephant thing? He did that. He is deeply involved with all the people at IC, and they are good hearted, legitimate, and mostly, passionate about injustices happening around the world.

They are doing SOMETHING. They went, they saw with their own eyes something horrific happening, and they are passionate to see change.

You can help. We can all help. Don't fall into the naysayers, find out the facts on your own. The true ones.


***

19 comments:

  1. Amen, sister!

    I had to write a little about this also because of the negativity that I was seeing on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *thought* your brother was involved in IC! If my life wasn't so crazy right now (house/trip/job/life), I would have called you about this yesterday. I haven't had time to look into it but I'm SO glad you posted this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this! I've been "lurking" for a while, but wanted to make my presence known :) With all the negativity surrounding this, it's nice to see you just presenting the facts and urging people to become educated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been a supporter of invisible children for a number of years now, and it deeply saddens me to see the amount of skepticism and hate going on around it. How can people deny that these children need help, and I've even had one person tell me that countries need to mind their own business. Is this really what this world has come to? I'm a big supporter of Kony2012 and I truly hope and pray something gets done about this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just have to leave a comment and I am not a big commenter. I think this video is definitely bringing something to attention that DEFINITELY needs to be dealt with on a national level.... I just wish as well that the abuse of children in the US were also brought to this level of attention.

    Over 3 million reports of child abuse are made every year in the United States; however, those reports can include multiple children. In 2009, approximately 3.3 million child abuse reports and allegations were made involving an estimated 6 million children. (http://www.childhelp.org/pages/statistics#1)

    The National Child Abuse and Neglect Data System (NCANDS) reported an estimated 1,770 child fatalities in 2009. (http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/factsheets/fatality.pdf#Page=2&view=Fit)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the folks behind this movement are incredible. It gives me hope that my voice alone can count. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just watched and posted to my personal and blog FB pages and tweeted it. This needs to spread like wildfire. I'm ordering the kit too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't really reply either way, because I have not done enough research into this. I'm glad there is information out there, and that awareness has been spread. I think that any organization, in this day and age, when they are using social media to spread the word - has to expect kickback from other people. I hate to get into statistics wars, because they can generally be used to prove that the sky is purple and the grass is blue. I do think that awareness is good. I do also regret the fact that people's awareness is very fleeting, and for most did not go beyond clicking "share" on Facebook. But that is a more general lament on today's society. I do a lot of organizing around poverty in our country, and run into the same issues.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't realize that your brother was doing the design work on the campaign. He did a really wonderful job on the design stuff!

    I am concerned with some of the negativity surrounding the financials and the other things that IC addressed in the release last night.

    But what a way to create awareness! I think they're doing what they set out to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you katie for posting this! I'm so sad to see people say " enough with KONY already" thats the whole point to use social media to bring awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've been sharing, and we've ordered some kits to help spread the world! I can't wait to see what the future holds for Kony 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anyone who watches that video will be moved and will take action. Thank you for posting and writing about it. I have passed along on FB and lets pray that 2012 is the year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, Katie!

    I feel like it's fine to check out charities and see what percentage of funds is used for overhead and what percentage of funds is directly poured into the cause--it varies a TON across charitable organizations.

    But just because we decide that the overhead at a particular organization is higher than we'd prefer, that doesn't mean that it's a "scam", which is what I feel like the Tumblr site is suggesting...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate all the negative crap too. Like today in class a girl started hating on it saying how the guy who made the video makes a yearly salary of $92,000.

    I just don't know how to resond to that. but I believe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing this. I joined the campaign online yesterday and was moved by the video. It really inspires me to believe in the power of people.

    And there will always be someone out there to criticize. I mean, people even criticize Michelle Obama's campaign to get kids moving and eating healthy. People are so cynical!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had no idea your brother works for Invisible Children. I think that's so great. I'm 100% in support of this, and you really captured everything I've been thinking surrounding the negativity. Hugs to you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How incredible to be so closely involved with something so life altering. I am also SO glad you gave an example of the fantastic graphic art your brother did as well. I knew he worked for Invisible Children, but was so excited to read that he designed that specific logo. I have many reasons to support this cause, but now want to help even more by owning some of your brothers beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How incredible to be so closely involved with something so life altering. I am also SO glad you gave an example of the fantastic graphic art your brother did as well. I knew he worked for Invisible Children, but was so excited to read that he designed that specific logo. I have many reasons to support this cause, but now want to help even more by owning some of your brothers beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete