Thursday, March 15, 2012

The fullness gushes over.

I don't know what it is, but lately, I am enjoying mommyhood even more than usual. There is so much life being brought to my heart over here, and it's so good.

My heart is just bursting with momma love. So much of it. It's no secret that I think my kid is amazing. I think that every parent, in their own right, find their children to be awesome. I am no different. But for some reason this week I've just slowed down more.

I notice everything. All her little quirks. Her little facial expressions. The number of times she says "thank you mommy" when I hand her a cracker or "oops, sorry momma" if she drops something. I've been noticing how the warmer, more humid-like weather makes her hair curl up even more. And how darn adorable it looks up in a single ponytail with her 'bangs' pinned back. How adorable her little white, pasty arms look in those sweet little tank tops. And how happy I am to see her little chubby toes hanging out of her sandals once again.

This year feels so much different than last. She was so fun last year, so fun. But this year is different. She's older, even more fun (which I never thought was possible), and everything just feels so NEW! and Exciting! And amazing! to her. I am finding myself so wrapped up in her every day little excitements that I, too, am feeling the same excitement. Over things I didn't know I ever cared about. You know?

Like yesterday afternoon, we were sitting on the deck in this nice, sunny, blissful March weather, blowing bubbles. We blew bubbles last year, but this year? It's so much cooler. So much more fun. She ran around the deck jumping up and down smacking her hands together yelling, "I CATCH IT!" over, and over and over again. You couldn't wipe the joy off her face if you tried. And you couldn't wipe it off mine, either.

It's those little things. And this week I've just had a lot of full-heart-mom moments.

Like watching my girl run a playground like she's done it forever. Sliding down every slide known to man, and always by herself like a big girl. Or getting along with her friends so well and making me proud that she cares so much at her young age about other little people. Or how she tickled her baby cousins belly and made little faces at him to get him to smile and laugh. How she learned to swing on the swings on her belly for the first time. Or how she cups her hand around her ear and says "what's that?" every time she hears an unfamiliar sound. Or how she'll spot every single bird "tweet-tweet" that's around. How she had her first experience with a "bug", and how dang sweet she was to that little gnat. Yes. A gnat. She cried when it flew away saying, "Bye bug" through tears.

I'm just in awe of this little person. She really is a gem. And yes, she can frustrate the daylights out of me some days, but this kid? Is my heart. She makes me so proud to be a mom. To be her mom.

I'm privileged to get this opportunity. Momming this baby girl. Making the decisions to have water ice for lunch one day because it's more fun. Being able to dress her in bright, funky colors because why the heck not? Getting to buy her that minnie mouse bookbag because her face lit up when she saw it. Getting her the ugly Dora shirt I swore I'd never all because it makes her happy and she did a little jig when she saw it at the store. Letting her have the last sips of my slushy because I love her that much. And being honored that she wants to wear her sunglasses in her hair "like mommy do".

Kids have a way of expanding and stretching your heart more than you ever knew possible. That's for sure.

And thank God for that. I need her just as much as she needs me.

22 comments:

  1. This is such a good post.

    I'm due next month and can't wait to experience all these "little" things with my son. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made my eyes well up with tears! You really do have a way with words!

    I couldn't have said it any better - I feel the very same way except my lil man (15 months) is getting to explore EVERYTHING for the first time - and it's so amazing to witness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww...
    This post just reached me in a deep deep place! Makes me want a child. I love the bond you share with Emeline. So precious. So dear.

    Thank you for the wonderful longing this post gave me that made me realize that I DO want to be a mother someday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been having moments and days like this too and it just makes me so so happy. Most of all proud and honored.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED everything about this!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this so much. You captured her little personality so well, like we were right there with you.
    And girl, you're heart is just gonna up and explode when you've got TWO of these little cuties running around! :)

    ps. I've done the same thing at the store. The other day I found some Thomas the Tank Engine gift bags on clearance for $.42 at Target. Of course, I snatched them up, but he has been carrying that package around ever since, just staring at the pictures. lol. It definitely is the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bah. you just made me tear up! What a lovely and very true post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet sweet post! I feel the same exact way. Easton truly just brightens my day. I think me and L look at each other more and smile now than ever...just watching what he does, listing to what he says. They really are gifts! So glad y'all are having lots of happy moments. It's amazing what Spring does for everyone!!!!! Sunshine for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I could yank this post right out from under you and speak the exact same words. Being Mom to these precious sweethearts is just the greatest blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sweet post from a sweet mama with a sweet little girl. I've had a few days lately where I'll just be looking at the twins and think "how did I get sooo lucky" They are so fun right now. I'm glad you've had amazing weather to enjoy lately! I'm a tad jealous of it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, wow! I've been on the boy train before I was even pregnant. I wanted a boy, I craved a baby boy. Got my boy, I wanted another boy. This post just woke up something inside of me, I want a girl!!!

    Your Eme sounds like such a gentle sweet soul, her talking to the bug? Melt my heart! Declan would have tried to eat it. Blegh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet post! I, too, and feeling the joy of motherhood at the moment. Truly, God's very best gifts comes wrapped up in flesh. Especially in daughters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this whole post. What a fun age this is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those pictures! Especially the one on the left :) She's so cute! love her lil' outfit

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such an awesome post. I really hope I get to be a mother someday. Hopefully one day soon, and not just to my furbabies. You sound like such a good mom and your daughter is adorable! I can't imagine what her reaction will be when she encounters a ladybug for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know what my favorite is, the little piggies peeping out at the end of her sandals, her drinking a slushey with her shades on or her shades in her hair. Seriously, she is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is just the cutest thing ever! Being a mommy is the greatest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know just how you feel. You just want to squeeze the adorable out of them!!!! It's wonderful that you appreciate the small things. You sound like such a good mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can really relate. Stepping away from the internet more often and being present with my boys has made such a difference. Just a little while ago, B sent me a text to tell me he has to work three extra hours tomorrow night. Of course, I immediately sighed, frustrated. But then I decided we'd go out for snow cones and have an awesome little boy/Momma night. It's easier when they are these ages. Happy you are happy too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is hands down one of my favorite posts of yours ever. This age is so hard. SO hard. But thanks for reminding me of how cool these little girls are. And how freaking lucky being a mommy really is.

    you've got a sweet girl there :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...