Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I'm back. Back again.

Thank you all for your ridiculously nice and reassuring comments on yesterday's post. There was kind of a resounding theme of, Good to know we aren't alone. Sometimes, we can't hold it all together. Sometimes, we break down. Sometimes, things all align and make it all feel piled & piled, to the point of, well, massive tears. Or whatever.

And the good news is? I feel better now.

I do have to admit, though--that yesterday morning? I still felt defeated. I felt run down. I felt tired. Too tired to conquer the day. I so badly wanted to conquer yesterday super-mom style. You know. Do something spontaneous & fun with my baby. Have a day filled with laughs & giggles that would certainly overshadow the momma breakdown the night before. But I couldn't.

All I could muster up was a text to my momma, practically begging for just a few short hours alone while I could just recompose myself. My parents are rockstars when it comes to rescuing me in these situations. I kid you not. I pull into their driveway, they're waiting at the door for us, they practically dive-bomb my car to unstrap Eme from her carseat and rid me away for some alone time. It's fantastic. Faster than the blink of an eye. Especially in those situations. I pray I can be like that for my daughters (and grandkids) one day.

I got myself the longest, most relaxing pedicure a girl could ever have. Thanks to a gift certificate for a mani/pedi from my friend that I just cashed in for a deluxe pedi. Oh. Yea. I picked the brightest, mintiest green color, because why the hell not? And then I just did nothing. For almost two hours. TWO HOURS I got completely foot-pampered. And it was heaven on earth.


I was a better mom because of that. Don't laugh. It's true. Momma's need a time-out, too.

But today? Today was a different story. I woke up to the sun shining and the birds chirping. After a full nights sleep for everyone.  I decided against lingering in PJ's all morning and instead got us both dressed and ready for the day right away. I had a kick in my step, I did. Enjoy today? Yes. Yes, we will.

because WHAT is there not to love about polka dot sunglasses?

And there's something to be said about what I like to call red-cart-cruises. I mean, really? Lingering all those fun aisles of Target, full of shoes, accessories, scarves, and dresses. Yes. I admit, it makes me happy. And finding the prettiest Easter dress for Emeline? That's smile-worthy, too.

So is stock-piling crap from the dollar spot. It's all smile-worthy in my book.


And then chick-fil-a dates with her sweet cousin, Kylie. Can't make those smiles up.


As we drove home, sun-roof down, me and the little lady both rocking our funky sunglasses and fist pumping to random pop songs that came on Pandora, I felt genuine happiness again.

I'm back.

33 comments:

  1. Anyone who says that mommas don't need timeouts are deluding themselves. I'm so glad you got to recharge. The nails look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!! So glad you had a better two days! Seriously lovin' that mint color too! Eme and her cuz are just too cute, Eme's smile is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad your having a much better day today! loving your mint polish and that pic of Emeline and Kylie couldn't be any cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your feeling much better today, your toes look fantastic, love your tattoo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So stinkin cute! And so glad you had a better day! Definitely have to make time for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you got a mommy time out! Love your choice of polish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My nails are that exact color too! lol. Glad you got some much needed alone time.
    And we do those red cart cruises way too often. I always come home with something extra. I'm not like that anywhere else. Brad says it's the lighting they use. I think it has more to do with the wall-to-wall, ridiculously fun stuff.

    (are those sunglasses from Target? I may have to pick some up for our beach trip!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that you are BACK! Every mama needs a little time to recharge (I think I might be due, soon). A pedicure is Exactly what I would choose to do with my free time, too! And I love me some Target time, too! Love those bunny ears, looks like I need to make a trip (oh darn) for someone's Easter basket!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad today was better Momma! Such adorable pics of E, when did she get so big?!?!?!! Love the toe color

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're such a good momma! I'd die for pedi right now. Well, not die, but yeah. I actually have a gift certificate to cash in too.

    Glad today was great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pedicures are the best! I love your shades...I'm in need of new ones for spring. The polka dots are sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! Glad to hear it :) Nice color choice on the pedi

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish we lived close to family for that reason... you are so, so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have such cute feet and toes! And I love the color you picked. That is my go to color when I can't decide what color to paint my nails.
    Also, Eme and her cousin are absolutely adorable. Glad you are feeling better! C:

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pampering is a requirement, mama or not. I'm glad you got your time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! What a blessing. Love the pic of Em with her little cousin...so adorable. = )

    Irish

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you got your Mojo back!!! It's the best feeling waking up to the sun shining and the birds chirping! I love it! And Eme is just tooooooo cute! She's got like the perfect smile! I tell you. That's what everyone compliments on Chloe, All the time! That, and her eyes. Can't get enough of it! Wish we lived closer! Our girls would have a blast together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It makes me happy when you are happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay!! P.S. That last pic? With her cousin? Um... cutest Eme smile I've ever seen. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the pedicure colour you chose, and the last photo of Eme and her cousin - too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. this post made me smile. so glad you're feeling better although i do think i caught your funk from yesterday :( sigh.

    is that wand in the dollar spot at target?!? i need some!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I could just copy and paste my comment from Gina's latest post...but we'll suffice to say that I'm happy you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I find it interesting (and by interesting, I mean hypocritical) that for someone who talks about being a Christian so much, you feel the need to swear as often as you do.

    You're annoyingly spoiled by your family and friends. And then you whine and brag on your blog simultaneously, and it's offensive. I find it sad that soon you will have two daughters to have such a negative influence on.

    No wonder your daughter seems bratty.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Elle, there's no need to be nasty. Don't read this blog if it bugs you. There's nothing wrong with someone complaining. WE ARE NOT PERFECT and neither are you. Now take a hike! :)

    Katie, there's nothing wrong with admitting defeat. Parenting is HARD! I have these days too. It's a special blessing to have family close that are willing to love on your babe for you to have some "me time" :) I just got a pedi thanks to my mom this past week, not to mention a break from "parenting" while we visited my parents...ahhhh bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Elle, who ever you are. This is not the place for you to display Your UnChristian attitude. I believe the Bible tells us not to judge others, as we ourselves will be judged. Katie is loved by her family and friends (she has no idea that I am doing this) and this is her outlet to be "real." I am sure that you have moments where you swear or whatever you think is ok. Telling Katie that she is spoiled (albeit I am sure you don't even know her) is not acceptable. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
    I hope Katie continues to do what she does and she doesn't let you bully her or other people. She has been nothing but open to all of us about her struggles, her happiness, her humanism. Don't ruin that for us because you are jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't wait to see what you found for E's Easter dress! Yesterday WAS a gorgeous day and I had a similar pep in my step :) Spring does the body good.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so glad that you're feeling better. Motherhood can be a straight kick in the crotch at times. Not to mention that pregnancy hormones have super tear producing powers. It's good that you got some time for yourself.

    Second of all, I had to say something, bc it was annoying me. Some people can be straight up bitches yo. This coming from a Christian too. Who the heck cares how much you whine and complain? If you don't like what you read on a person's blog, then don't read it. And obviously she has no kids to take care of, bc if she did she wouldn't have that 10 foot poll stuck up her back door. Haters will be haters. Done.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I needed some pep in my step this AM so we did the red-cart cruise too :)

    I could NOT find an Easter dress for Lizzy for the life of me.

    ReplyDelete
  29. i just had to say something...i don't understand why someone would read a blog they don't enjoy. and then feel the need to comment so negatively? doesn't make sense to me at all. katie, you are an honest, likeable, funny, smart and caring mom. pretty sure any negativity stems from jealousy of some kind. it's ugly, hope you don't have to deal with any more of it on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I so agree that mommies definitely need a time out and just a break. What a sweet precious picture with her cousin

    ReplyDelete
  31. I had a week away with my husband, that was a wonderful Momma break! I came back refreshed and with lots and lots of patience, something us toddler moms need an abundance of.

    By the way, I was scrolling down and reading your post and my son gleefully screamed out when I scrolled past your daughter and her friend. What cuties.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yay! Getting time to recharge is so important.

    ReplyDelete