Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Recipes, the easiest of the easy.

Anyone who knows me knows that I don't exactly pride myself on my duties as a chef/baker/kitchen diva. Because, I'm so not one.

I wish I was. I wish I really enjoyed time in the kitchen, but I don't. I just don't.

But for some reason, yesterday? I spent a lot of time in the kitchen and I tried out a few new recipes. Some, not even recipes at all. Just thrown-together-stuff that kinda worked. So I figured I'd share because I'm all about SIMPLE. SIMPLE. SIMPLE recipes. AKA: No more than a few ingredients, and all ones that I can actually understand what's in them.  Because searching for stuff in a grocery store? Oh. Yea. That gives me hives.

So first. Yesterday at lunch, my husband was coming home for his break. I SO BADLY wanted to beg him to bring home pizza, but we've been trying to be better about our spending habits and sticking to our budget. So I scoured the pantry and found we had flour tortillas, spaghetti sauce, and mozzarella cheese. Voila!

Tortilla Pizzas
Small or large flour tortillas, spread a little pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce on them, generous amount of mozzarella cheese, then sprinkle some italian seasoning & garlic salt. Pop on baking sheets in the oven for 5-7 minutes at 375. Or use a toaster oven! Easy. easy. And so so good.

At dinner, I had some chicken thawed, but was sick of making it the same 'old, same 'old. I decided to look for a simple recipe for chicken nuggets, and used this one. I honestly think the skinny taste ones would be better for the future.

Then, we are kind of out of EVERYTHING, but I wanted to have a veggie with dinner. My go-to veggie is normally green beans, or something like that. I sautee them with evoo and garlic, etc. But, we're all out. So I had a bag of baby carrots, and I thought about steaming them. But, ew. Steamed carrots? Not my cuppa tea.

I figured if I could find a recipe or some seasoning that made them taste good? I'd be game to try. 

I steamed them (just cover with water, bring to boil, then takes about 10-12 minutes), drain, then melt some butter over them, some lemon juice, pepper and dill. Honestly? YUM. The flavor combo was so delicious and perfect for spring/summer. I was once a steamed carrot hater, but I'm a convert now. 

And then? I got the nudge (aka: pregnancy craving) to have peach cobbler.  So I searched around for the easiest recipe ever and went with Peach Cobbler Dump Cake. Seriously, it takes like 3 ingredients and was EASY and freaking delicious. 


 So, there ya go--a few simple little recipes from the girl who rarely cooks. Go figure.

Happy Friday!

12 comments:

  1. You were busy! All of them look/sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tum! I love making easy tortilla pizzas. I like to load mine up with veggies too. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should try the chicken recipe I posted this week. Super duper easy and good! Dip chicken in yogurt, then Panko, then cook. Yum. My picky kids even love it!

    I'm impressed you made cooked carrots taste good. They always taste awful to me. I'm a raw only carrot fan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made the skinny taste nuggets, and they are awesome! My picky husband loved them, and my son, who doesn't normally eat meat, ate 8! ( he's 2.5!) They are super easy to make too, which is a plus in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a huge fan of cooked carrots either. Someone in Fred's family made them once and they were awesome. She boiled/steamed them then cooked them with orange juice. I tried it once-just added oj and simmered once they were soft. Yum! Sounds weird but it's actually really great. I'll have to try your way too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Easy is right up my alley, I'll have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cobbler looks like the one my grandma used to make all the time. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Peach cobbler is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You go girl!!!

    Carrots with butter and honey are oh so good! ;)

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks and sounds super yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete