Friday, April 27, 2012

Emeline's Big Girl Room Reveal

I haven't talked much about Emeline's big girl room, or the plans I have for it. Truthfully? Because I've had a collection of ideas in my head for months and months, and they were all a bit of a hodge-podge. I had NO IDEA if they would even execute well, at all.

I was worried. And I didn't want to have to post pictures if the room looked like garbage and a complete design (I'm not a designer) fail. I'm really good at thinking of things, or collecting ideas on pinterest--but actually making them come to life? Eh. It just depends.

But the last few days I've really gotten the urge (aka: nesting struck) to finish this room already. I am pleased with the way it came out, and Emeline adores it. That's really what matters, right?

We have one twinkly hanging light to install above her bed, but other than that? It's pretty much complete. Also, it must be noted that this room is TINY. Like, tiny, tiny, tiny. It's a 3rd bedroom in a 3 story townhouse, so trust me, it's pretty itty-bitty. But it works.

I'll sum up the little details of this room at the end. For now, look at some photos--since I'm sure you already scrolled there anyway ;)

Emeline's New Room




 ***

Room Details:
(Don't expect expensive, y'all. I am cheap.)


Paint-  The same sherwinn williams austere grey I had in there when this was my craft room and prior to that an office. I did NOT want to repaint. I just did patch-work on holes and a little touching up. Lucky for me, I really did want her room to be grey.

Bed-Ikea. It can go one size smaller than shown, and also go one size bigger making it almost the same size as a twin.


Bedding-KMart, for real. Yellow pillow on Bed, HomeGoods.

Upholstered kid-sized Recliner (yep, it reclines!)- HomeGoods.

Book Shelves- Ikea shelf-ledges I've had forever. I have them all over my house. In her downstairs reading nook, too.

Dresser- I'm gonna be honest, I didn't like this dresser much at all. I found it on a free/trade FB site and it was an awful light wood. When they dropped it off, I was disappointed because she told me it was hardwood, and it was not. So she said I could keep it and she'd rip up my check. So if you're following me, IT WAS FREE.  It sat in my garage for months and I had given up all hope on it, and kept searching for a dresser on Craigslist I could refinish. But one day last week I got the itch to just TRY and see if I could make it work. The size of it was perfect. So I took a can(ssss) of spraypaint to it--and then modge-podged the top with red & pink striped wrapping paper (yep.), and that's the finished product. It is NOT perfect. But it was free. And actually? Once it was put in the room, the little imperfections don't stand out at all. It works.

Curtains-Room Darkening Ivory shades. Nothing fancy. They need to be hemmed or I need to add fabric but I'm not really in a huge rush to do this.

Frames & Details- I've been picking up random frames and items from antique shops, beach boutiques, home goods, re-using stuff from her 1st birthday party, etc--for MONTHS.

Fuzzy Rug- Walmart

Embroidery Hoop Wall-  All hoops are from JoAnns. You can get them in wooden and also in plastic colors--so I mixed them up. The fabric is also from JoAnn's, using the fabric quarters for .99 cents a piece.

***

In case you're wondering, we'll start the transition to big-girl-bed after we return from Disney in a few weeks!

Soooooo....what do we think?

56 comments:

  1. I love it, it turned out great. Something she can grow into

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so great! I can't believe you designed all of this for practically nothing...can you come and decorate my future nursery? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out great! :) And what kid needs a big room anyways? Your dresser looks great, & I think my favorite part is the frames & things above it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so adorable! Great job sweetheart!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow! This is magazine worthy. It's the perfect blend of eclectic and traditional. I love the bedding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay...so I think you need to be on the Home and Garden channel or magazine!!! Your home decor is just so, so amazing, Momma!!!! I LOVE Miss Eme's room! It is a perfect little tiny piece of heaven for Eme! And no worries if the room is small, it is huge to her! My boys room is probably just as small, and they SHARE!

    I just adore it, and it's so awesome that you get things on the inexpensive side. :D

    Feel proud Momma! Now just to get pics of her jumping on her bed! :) <3 <3 <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore this room! How could Eme not love it?!?!?

    Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CUTE!!!! Love Love LOVE!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love it! the colors are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a really cute room re-do. I love the embroidery circles on the wall with fabric! It's a great way to get color in the room and in a different way. I know you were thinking the dresser didn't turn out the way you wanted, but I think it's SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So lovely! What a dream room! Great job lady!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you did SUCH a great job on her big girl rom! i love the little details ;) and the recliner? I.DIE. SOOO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's perfect. Great work love! And- I've been looking for a nice gray for Everett's room--- maybe austere gray it is?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks gorgeous! I bet she loves it. You did such a good job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's fantastic! And it really is most important that SHE loves it. And really? How could she not??? It's her very first BIG GIRL ROOM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it!

    I love the idea of modge-podge for the top of the dresser! That might be one of my favorite details.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So adorable. I especially love all the different frames/embroidery hoops. Really cute!

    Do you guys have anything for toy storage in Eme's room? Toy storage is the bane of my existence!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How can you say you aren't a designer?? I'd pay someone to have a room like that for my Josie girl.

    So creative, and the room doesn't feel small at all. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too Cute! I don't think you did too shabby at all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did such a great job! Absolutely beautiful! I can see why Eme adores it :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! It's the perfect amount of little girl and big girl! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job! And you are right, all that matter is that Emeline loves it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it. I think the dresser looks awesome ... I'm sure you see the imperfections more than we do in the photos but just remember, it will likely get coloured on, pooped on, scratched up, have stickers stuck to it etc over the next few years so you'll be glad you didn't invest a ton of money in it :)

    Now ... let's move on to Eva's room, shall we?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it!! I love the colors and all the different prints you used. I love that it's also a room she'll be able to grow into a bit. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was going to ask about the top of the dresser...great idea!

    Love the room!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was going to ask about the top of the dresser...great idea!

    Love the room!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You rocked this room! It looks amazing and the details and colors are perfect! And that sweet bed, makes the room! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I cannot tell you enough how in love with this I am. These are all the colors I planned on using if I had (ever have?) a girl. I adore that quilt too. I may have to grab it, even if I don't ever have a girl. :)
    (Thanks for posting where you found this stuff!)

    I am so impressed. It came together perfectly. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love how everything turned out! You are so crafty :) I can't really believe that Eme is already in a big girl room. How and when did this happen! She was JUST born!

    You did a great job though :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. So cute and Sweet just like your baby girl

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the colors and how everything just comes together! Great job, and if she likes it that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It looks DARLING! Just goes to show you can have an adorable room without breaking the bank. Just need a little creativity and a lotta love. Great job mama!

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's absolutely adorable! I like mix-matched things and love every little detail you added. Especially the state print, the owls (of course) and the way all of it pops off the grey walls (they're perfect). You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  34. LOVE it! Perfect amount of girly!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love it!
    All the splashes of color against the grey walls looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This room is so cute! You did a great job. What inspiration to redo my little man's room!

    ReplyDelete
  37. katuie! this looks AWESOME! She is going to love her room more and more! (and finally! a child who has the same size room/bed as I have had for 20+ years!)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Super cute. You know, if you have any ideas left in your creative little head, you can throw them our way and I'll just change pink into green and brown for Gray's room. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love it. :) She's not going to know the room is tiny and sometimes imperfections are what makes things perfect! (not that it looks anything but perfect now!!) Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh wow how cute! I especially love the chair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I could not love this room more. Seriously. It's perfect. It's really close to the feel I want in E's room. You did a fantastic job lady!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Saw your blog from E, Myself, and I today. I love what you did with this room. Just beautiful. Love the frames with her initials. Congrats on baby number 2.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Fabulous! Looks like it belongs in a magazine! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Katie!

    You did a wonderful job on her room! And having grey walls is a great idea. She can grow into her room. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love it. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. I am in love with that chair! The dresser looks great. What a fun room. I bet she's so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  47. SO adorable! And I've loved that IKEA bed since forever, it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love it! It just looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with that dresser!!

    It looks beautiful Katie! She's going to love her Big Girl room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love it! Looks so sweet!! I can't wait to do Chloes room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. love the new room! You did such a great job.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...