Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hook, line and sinker.

I very rarely read books anymore. I just choose to do other things with my time. Inside, I think I've always kind of longed to love books, the way my sister did. She could devour a book in a matter of hours, and I have visions of her on Christmas day, after opening a stack of books, cuddled on the chair in the corner, under a blanket, paging through her books and flying through them. Deeply involved in them. Not able to put them down. And finishing them lightening fast, ready to pass them off to my grandmother to read. She always loved her book recommendations it seemed.

I always admired that. But it just wasn't my thing.

It really, really, really has to be an amazing book to keep me deeply attached, so much so that I don't even want to put it down.

When one of my favorite bloggers, Kelle Hampton, was in the process of writing her book, Bloom--I knew this would be one of those books. The very rare read that I could hardly put down. Well, I had hoped it would be that way anyway. I just gotta read her book, I told myself.

Yesterday, it finally released. Over the weekend we got an iPad, and so I quickly downloaded iBooks. I searched for Bloom and it came up within seconds. It sat around on the Shop screen for a while, until I finally just let myself hit buy now, because what the heck, it's my birthday week anyway. And Happy Birthday To MEEEE!

I was in a lot of pain last night after our church community group. They had thrown me a really sweet little birthday shindig, with a strawberry shortcake birthday cake, and wiggly candles. They sang to me. I held my girl and she smiled from ear to ear at the birthday song. I think she thought it was for her--but it was amazingly cute nonetheless. But on the way home I kept getting these pains in my stomach, where it only felt good to lay in one position, on my back. Which was kind of weird, normally my side is my go-to position when something hurts.

It was late. About 10pm at this point, and oh the pain. But, I remembered that Bloom had been downloaded and all I could think about was drinking in all those words of someone I truly admire. So, I drew a hot bath because I knew I could get comfortable there, and maybe it would ease the pain I was having. I got in my bubble bath and propped the iPad on my round belly. Every word drew me in. Every colorful photo made me feel like I was there.

I warmed up the bath one time, and even looked at my toes to see how pruney they were. Total prune status goin' on. But I kept reading. At one point, my husband came in, absolutely HORRIFIED at the site of me holding the iPad over gallons of bath water, and pleaded with me to NOT LET IT FALL IN, but have fun reading, and goodnight babe, love you.

Eventually I decided I should probably head to bed, but within minutes of drying off and trying to adjust myself to a somewhat comfortable position, I heard the cries of my eye-tooth-poppin' toddler girl. After reading the first few chapters of Bloom, I couldn't help it, despite the pain I was having in my stomach, and need for sleep, I jumped up, eager to be the one to comfort my sweet girl back to sleep.

I guess that's what a good book does, huh? It changes your perspective. It helps you see things differently. And specifically this book, gave me that extra does of gratefulness, of this time just left with me and her, before she shares time with a sister.

This morning, I couldn't get to my iPad fast enough. We cuddled in bed, me and Emeline, for about half an hour, while she sipped milk and watched Disney Junior, and where I soaked in another chapter, and sipped on my coffee. A solid stream of tears coming down the left side of my cheek because of the way I was leaning on the pillow, and duh, because of the words of this book. I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm pregnant, expecting a 2nd baby girl, just like Kelle, and that her recounts of every step of her journey with Nella is written so raw, so full of emotion, that it's hard not to feel her every pain and ounce of happiness, too.


Four chapters in, and I'm hooked. I'm reading a book that I actually enjoy. And so much so that I may ask to go get a birthday pedicure tomorrow, splurge for the extra long one, JUST so I can sit and read in peace and quiet, and heck, maybe even finish it while my toes get extra pretty, and my legs get massaged.


Yep, that sounds perfect to me.

***

Happy Wednesday, friends.

30 comments:

  1. I know...I haven't been able to put it down! Amazing book! Glad you're loving it too!

    Happy [early] Birthday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the review, Katie! I've been following the progress of Bloom too and was trying to decide if it was worth it. So glad to know it is. I'll def be checking it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting my copy today and I can.not.wait! I also read Kelle's blog and that woman is just amazing! I am so excited to read this book. Can't wait to be inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) It's magical, isn't it? I love reading. I'm so glad you're enjoying the book.

    You are one brave woman to take the iPad into the bath with you! I just got one myself and I am in LOVE with the thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read ALL the time, but it's so hard to find a book that grabs you. I'll have to check this one out, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited for my copy to come (hopefully soon!). I'm glad it's has your good review! I could hardly expect less because she is an amazingly captivating writer. That is my favorite part about books. The way a writer can pull you in with words. Kelle is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My pre-order book should arrive today and I absolutely can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to have found your blog and the next book on my "to read for fun" list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I know that feeling of devouring a book so well. It's the BEST. I haven't read Bloom yet, but it is definitely on my list, if my honky-tonk library ever gets it in stock!

    And also I was totally freaking out about the iPad over the bathtub. That would NOT have ended well for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha! This is me right now! I've barely been able to put it down since last night (I think we're about at the same point too). :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good that you are enjoying this read! I may pick it up myself. I find reading to be sooo relaxing and a fun escape. Maybe it will kick start a new habit for you:o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I pre-ordered the book and it arrived yesterday and among all the chaos exploding in my house I choose to read this book last night instead of cleaning up my house. I read it until I couldn't hold my eyes open any longer. It's just that fantastic. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do it girlfriend!

    I'll have to add this to my list. If I ever finish The Hunger Games. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love her. I can't wait to start reading mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I pre ordered mine and it will be here on Friday and I cant wait to start reading it. I love Kelle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well....just like your Big Sissy, I am a reader! :D LOVE to read!!!

    Thanks so much for this review, I WILL surely put that on my to buy/MUST read list!

    Have a great day Momma! Tell Little Miss to take it a bit easy on her Momma today. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I started crying as soon as I read the book dedication.

    I think from my Instagram feed, you already know how excited I am/was. Can't wait to get home tonight to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to get my book! Friday can't come quick enough!

    I simply adore Kelle, Nella and Laney, Brett and those handsome boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry that you weren't feeling well yesterday! That was so nice of your Church to help you celebrate your birthday! Happy Birthday, by the way!!! Hope you have a great day tomorrow.
    As for "Bloom" I am right there with you. I'm about half way through and I am having that problem where I want to completely devour it, but I know the minute I finish it I will be sad. It is is so moving and wonderful, just like I expected! Glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1. Proud of you for reading on the iPad int he bath.
    2. Proud of you for reading on the iPad with a toddler around.
    3. Is iBooks free? I downloaded the Kindle app and have bought books from Amazon to read on that app. I wonder which is better? Or cheaper?
    4. Now I wan to go read...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love her blog, can't wait to read this book!
    Hope you are feeling better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. If I don't get into this book soon, I may just die. My copy SHOULD be here today...meaning it better be or my UPS man is going to have a crazy lady to deal with :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been waiting for the book and plan to start it tonight. I can not wait!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I too am a follower of Kelle's. I am definitely adding this to my want list.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Alright, I'm gonna have to download it too! Good thing i already read Confessions of a Scary Mommy since that came out yesterday too! I just love that our blogging friends are getting published!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hooray for awesome books! So glad you found a kind you can't put down. I absolutely adore her blog, she's so inspiring. Can't wait to check out her book.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Katie! Ironically, I happen tp follow her blog and yours. I just finished the book tonight, I went and commented on her blog, then in my normal fashion, wandered over to yours and here is your review for the book. I love it!! I was totally hooked and I'm looking forward to sharing Nella's story with as many of my friends as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can't wait to read it!!

    oh, and I heard brent scream...and yell a dirty one in the driveway a few weeks ago when he dropped our iPad. just scratched the corner, but he was crushed, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can't wait to read this either....so happy to hear how touching it is.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ahh i have been out of town since Tuesday and got the email that it shipped. I can't wait to read her book...I per-ordered it last August!!

    ReplyDelete