Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

If today is anything like yesterday...

...then I'll have one heck of a birthday.

Yea, it's my birthday. Another year older....wiser, right? Meh, whatever. I'll be off spending the day with my little family and honestly? That's all I want. Okay, that and maybe a shopping spree. But whatever.

Yesterday was awesome though. Actually, I take that back. It wasn't all awesome. I started off in a bit of a funk and so I knew me and Emeline would have to run off and take a little trip. To do something. Somewhere. I would bring my camera. I would bring the iPad (of course, so if there was any down time, I could read...ahem). I would feel the sun on my cheeks. It would help renew this weird funk I felt coming on.

So we did. We packed up quickly. I stuck a snack and a water cup in my purse, wrapped her little fleece jacket around my camera to protect it (ha), and slid that, along with my iPad into another purse,  grabbed a blanket, and off we went. To the pond at the park, to be exact. Determined to turn this day around.

It's tranquil there. So peaceful. So sunny. And just...nice. At the top of the hill are a bunch of rocks. Her and her cousins enjoy throwing rocks into the pond, you know, for fun. So we brought a bag along and loaded it up with rocks first. Then, as we were about to walk down the big hill to the pond, Eme reached up and said, "Mommy, hand?" She needs me, my girl. So we walked hand in hand down the steep hill until we found a nice sunny spot close to the pond edge.


 One thing I love about Emeline is while she's adventurous, she also is very cautious. She plans her steps carefully and assesses a situation before fully just going for it. She wants to stay safe, but the girl loves some fun, too. She's a good balance, that's for sure. She knows to not go too close to the edge of the pond, and as she gets close she often points out her finger and reminds herself, "No, no Emeline" and then looks back at me as if to be all See, ma? I listen.

We watched as a sweet little duck came grazing along the pond. Honestly, he came to see us--I know it. I think that made her day.



We threw rocks in the pond (but never near the duck, mind-you). She picked me dandelions ("fowers"), and she saw those itty, bitty butterflies that come out this time of year dancing all around her. And I watched as her eyes lit up and she yelped, "BUTT-FLIES!!" and then did a dance, clasping her hands together over and over yelling, "I CATCH 'EM!"

It was joy in her face. She didn't stand a chance to catch those butterflies, but she sure as heck tried.

She ate her snack and had cheesy crackers all over face, and in her teeth, and insisted that I not wipe it off, while she walked around with this big old stick acting like Queen of The World. 



I know that typically you hear how exhausting children are. And you know what? Sometimes that is beyond true. But other times? They invigorate you. They breathe life to your bones. They bring you up. They're able to bring you out of a weird hazy funk. They make you laugh. They sit in your lap for a cuddle at the exact time that not only they need it, but you do, too.

Doing this mom thing can be fun. Sharing little adventures with her. Watching her discover new things like the butt-flies, the grasshopper, and the flopping fish in the middle of the pond. Her excitement over taking a picture with momma. Those things.



...and next year? At my birthday? There will be two little girls I get to love on.

Happy birthday to me. How blessed I am.

40 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a beautiful day! Happy Birthday Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I hope it is as wonderful as yesterday because you definitely deserve it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to you!!! What a glorious way to spend the day with the one you love! May today bring you laughter, joy and peace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you have an amazing day with your precious family : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is adorable! A fabulous birthday post :) I hope today is awesome for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy birthday! today is my birthday too and my name is katie too funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie, you have me in tears this morning. You are so very right. Kids are so life-giving! Happiest of Birthdays to you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMA!!!!!!! Hope today is mind blowing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Make me cry! I am so emotional this morning...tears are flowing! Happy birthday to YOU, sweet girl. You deserve every little bit of happiness and so much more. I am so excited for this stage of life that you're in...I can't wait to journey along with you and your little family over the next year! Such big, wonderful, joyful things are coming your way, and it makes my heart happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the pictures, hope today is another great day! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday!!! You guys are too cute. Hope you have a wonderful birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday, sweet girl!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eme's colored denim kills me! So sweet.. Happy Birthday, Katie! I hope you have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday love!!
    It's my birthday too, hope to have as beautiful a day as you and E!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday love!
    Today's my birthday too, I hope to have as beautiful a day as you and E had.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am now, from here on out, going to refer to them as "Buttflies". That is hilarious.
    Happy Happy Birthday, friend! Have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday! Emeline is just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely beautiful and have a very happy birthday my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday! Great pictures!!!! These are really sweet! Hope today is bright and sunshiney for you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Happy Day! Hope it is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Happy Birthday! Hope you have an amazing day! What great pictures!


    Please fill us in on where you got your adorable yellow purse! LOVE LOVE LOVE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday, love!!! Loved this post! Hope today is equally amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous pictures! Like always. Don't you just love when they ask to hold hands? It melts me.

    I hope you three are enjoying today to the fullest. Can't wait to hear about it. Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well it looks like we'll have to celebrate it all weekend!! Yay for having a birthday over a long Easter Weekend! Love you so much my "little girl"!! So Blessed to call you my daughter!
    Love,
    Your Momma

    ReplyDelete
  25. So very, very true! I love how rejuvenating they can be.

    Looks like you guys had the perfect day!

    Hope you're having a beautiful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday!!! Hope it is fantastic and full of the things that make you feel special.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ahh bliss, to spend quality time with your sweet Emeline.

    Hoping you had a fabulous birthday:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful day with Eme! Hope today was a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds like you had a wonderful Birthday, so glad! The 5th was my due date with my first but he was born on 4/2 instead. :)

    Happy belated Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete