Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Prayers for Pop Pop

I grew up with one grandfather. My dad's Dad. He is caring and sweet, and exactly what you picture when you think about what a grandfather should be.

Every time he sees me, he tells me how beautiful I am. "My little Katie". "My girls" he calls my sister and I, his only granddaughters amongst 7 grandsons.

In his older age, he was one of those men of few words, but when he did speak? The words are gold. He truly means what he says. You can see him radiate when you walk into the room, because he's just so proud of you. So happy to see you. Genuinely happy.

I often remember seeing him getting teary eyed, while trying to remain inconspicuous during family gatherings. I assume just because his heart was so happy, seeing everyone together, his grandkids, his great grandkids. He has that pride & joy that grandparents have. The kind that makes you feel all sorts of special as a grandkid. The kind where you know they brag about you to their friends and neighbors, and show off your photos for anyone and everyone who visits.

My Pop Pop has been married to his soul mate, my Grandmom, for 60 years. SIXTY. They are best friends in every sense of the word. My parents have been married for 36 years. The legacy of love and marriage and commitment they've passed onto generations beneath them is commendable and I'm so grateful for that.

My sweet Pop Pop went into the hospital last week for some serious pain in his back. From what I understand it was some sort of compression fracture on his vertebrae. Seeing him in so much pain when we visited was hard, but the doctors assured us with a simple surgery they'd be able to give him some relief. While in there doing the surgery, they did a biopsy.

Two days ago, on his 85th birthday, the biopsy revealed they found cancer, and most likely a pretty aggressive kind.

My heart aches to think that on his birthday this was the news he received.

We don't know details of how long we have left with him. We've heard a few things thrown around, but nothing official yet. We know that age is definitely a factor. I'm so grateful for the full life he's lived. But it certainly doesn't make this any easier.

He's such a good man. I'm so grateful for all the time I've had with my Pop Pop, and the time I still have. I'm so thankful that he saw me walk down the aisle, and held my first baby girl in his arms at the hospital when she was barely 24 hours new. I'm so thankful for the Christmases and other holidays I spent with him. And all the long sleeved size L Eddie Bauer shirts I bought him. And the way a framed photograph was the best.gift.ever to him. The many, many hugs and kisses I've gotten over the years. I'm so grateful for my grandfather. My Pop Pop.

I may only have grown up with one grandfather, but at least he's a darn good one.

With my Pop Pop at the hospital, yesterday.

Ways you can be praying for my Pop Pop if you feel so led:

-Wisdom for the doctors
-For my Grandmother, who is really struggling, being as dependent as she was/is on my Pop Pop 
-For our family, to make all the right decisions regarding his care, hospice, hospital transfers, etc.
-For my Pop Pop's peace, to his heart and mind. And mostly that he would make peace with Jesus.
-Timing. Timing of everything. As a family there are so many things going on. I believe God is in the details, but just pray for timing, in general, to be perfect and ordained.

***

Thank you. Thanks for those of you who have been praying already. Who have seen my tweets, or instagram photos, or facebook statuses.

***





38 comments:

  1. My heart aches for you and your family, please know that I'm praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for your pop pop, sweet friend!!! Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for your beautiful family. My heart hurts for you and your family right now. Things like this are so difficult and I pray for peace for your hearts and your sweet Pop Pop to be at peace with the Lord. Sending love.

    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww Katie. Y'all are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending prayers your family's way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for your family and your sweet Pop Pop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Pop Pop sounds a lot like my Opa was. The world is a better place because he was here and I'm sure it is as well because of your Pop Pop. We will be praying very hard for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww katie sorry to hear that :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. praying for your family & your sweet pop pop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My prayers are with you and him. I am so sorry to hear this :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending prayers for you and your family as well as the nurses and doctors who are caring for your pop pop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having just lost someone to cancer, my heart aches for you and your Pop Pop. Take comfort knowing he will one day be dancing with Jesus and smiling down. Prayers and lots of love being sent your way dear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Pop Pop sounds like a wonderful grandfather and man. I am so sorry for this rough time. My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am crying over here, Katie. You are so blessed to have him in your life and your daughter's life.

    I never had this so it weighs heavy on my heart. I'm thankful my children are having the same experience as you.

    Many prayers for your Pop Pop and all of you at this difficult time. <3

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thinking of you at that time. The last photo with your grandpa staring over at Emeline with a big smile on his face is one you should treasure forever.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never had a grandpa in my life since mine passed when I was very young. Your Pop Pop and his story brought tears to my eyes. I will be praying for you all.

    Love Em's little ringlet pigtails, she is a doll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww! I hate hearing that! We just found out last month that my only Grandpa has cancer too - its so heartbreaking! My Gram is a mess, I can only imagine finding out that your love (your life) for the last 58 years will have to struggle with something so heavy!
    I will certainly keep your PopPop and family in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my heart Katie! You and your family will continue to be my prayers.

    Life is so hard sometimes.

    This is the 2nd post I've teared up reading today. Strong words being shared today.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have tears! I prayed all those prayer requests. I didn't grow up with a grandfather at all like that. I hope both of Chase's grandpas live to be 85 and get to hold his children!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been and will continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Prayers for you, for him, for the doctors, and the coming days.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so sorry. I will be praying. We had a similar situation with my great-grandfather. He was super active and then was diagnosed with liver cancer. There was nothing they could do but make him comfortable and let him enjoy the time he had left.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The love of a grandparent - nothing like it. Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so sorry to rad about your Pop Pop, he sounds like an amazing man.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh sweets I'm so sorry! Its never easy no matter what age they are. You and your fam will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You know my prayers are flowing, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Prayers to your family during this rough time.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My heart breaks for y'all Katie... This is something no one should go through. You know I'm sending prayers your way love.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm a big baby--crying at work while reading this! My heart just breaks for your family...I feel like this post could've been written about my grandfather and about my grandparents...and it just makes my heart ache to think about you and your family going through that. Praying hard, and praying frequently... God is right in the middle of this. As hard as it is to remember that, His hand is controlling every move, every moment, every thought, every prayer...Love you, sweet friend. Sending you a hug over the computer :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Keeping you an dour family in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for all of your prayers! He is coming home on hospice care this weekend. Please pray for Katie's grandma as she is broken hearted over the thought of losing her beloved husband.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  32. I will be praying for you and your family during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Praying for your family. This is hard while not pregnant but more so while. I was pregnant with my 2nd when my grandma got sick and had a heart attack. My parents did not tell me right away due to my high risk pregnancy but it was hard. Praying for strength for your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Praying for your family. This is hard while not pregnant but more so while. I was pregnant with my 2nd when my grandma got sick and had a heart attack. My parents did not tell me right away due to my high risk pregnancy but it was hard. Praying for strength for your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  35. sir my mother rajeswari suffering from cancer,liver,kidney,zaandies.doctor says she is on last days to live,so we trust jesus,jesus gives us new life in the situation by a prayer,so kindly prayer me in the name of rajeswari,cell no.+919492389399

    ReplyDelete