Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Ch-ch-ch changes.

It's kind of a big day around here. I've remained mum on this subject for the last month, but I think it's finally time. Time to talk about the big changes that are happening for my husband, for my family.

Job changes are a big deal. A big, hairy deal. And that's exactly what's happening around here. Today is my husbands last day of work, at the only place he's ever been employed (besides being a server at LoneStar, which doesn't count, we try to forget that phase often, as I was also a server at a restaurant next door to his, and boo to waiting tables).  A place that he's worked since he was 15 years old, after school for a few hours a day at first. Then, summers full time. Then, working part time around his college schedule. And after college, offered a full time position.

Ten/eleven years later--here we are.

The thing is, this job has been great. It has provided my husband with so many tools. So much experience. He worked his tush off harder than anyone I know. He poured his blood, sweat and tears into this place, into managing what was a failing department and making it something better, today.

In their busy season (Fall into Christmastime), he seemed to work virtually around the clock. Weekends, Sundays, even, after having worked already all week long, many more hours than he should have. Because he felt that ownership, he believed in what he was doing, and most of all--it kind of fell on his shoulders and he felt the heat more than anyone else as the manager. To say that season in our lives was stressful? Understatement of the year.

But still. Despite all that--we're both grateful for that job. For that experience. That it was just next door to our house. That Emeline & I could visit on a whim. Or bring him lunch. Or he could come home for lunch. And that he grew as a person and employee-making him into the catch he is today. As cheesy as that sounds.

This past month he got offered a job that I have no hesitations in saying, he will love. Why? Well, it's actually in the field he studied in school, and enjoys in his personal life. Computer stuff. Design. Back-end website stuff, coding, etc. (Words I just don't know how to use properly, so I'll just not, so I don't embarrass myself). His new job title is a Multimedia Developer. Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? :)

He no longer will be managing a slew of people. It's a different type of job, totally--and we're both ecstatic for the change. The change of pace around the holidays, the change of scenery, the change in responsibilities, the change in general.

Change is good. And this came at the perfect time.

I couldn't be prouder of him. I know at times he felt like he'd be doing something he wasn't truly passionate about forever--but I know sometimes when we're in it, it's hard to see out far enough to know that God ultimately has a bigger plan in mind. And He did for us. For Declan. And I'm really, really excited for him. And proud, mainly :)

They'll be some adjusting for me, too. His hours are slightly altered here. It's a further drive (well, anything is further than NEXT DOOR. ha.) There will be no surprise! daddy is home! lunchbreaks. But overall, it'll be good.

I'm excited to see life sparked back into my husband--because he'll be thriving in an environment he was meant to be in. And ultimately? That makes for a happy wife, too.

So cheers! To Monday. To his new, fresh, career start.

Prayers for a smooth transition are always welcome and appreciated. xo

30 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job! That's exciting and scary all at the same time! I'm sure this change will do everyone good! Hopefully it will lead to more time at home and less stress!

    Congats Declan!

    Prayers for a smooth transition headed your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome.
    Congrats to Declan and really all of you on this exciting new chapter!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I hope all of you take the transition well : ) Congratulations to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to your hubby! That is wonderful for all of you! Next week starts something different for us too. My husband who hasn't worked a summer since college will actually be working. He's just interning but it's for the company that he will start working for full time after he graduates in December. We've always had summers off together so this will be different, but I'm excited for both of us. I get some alone time back that I haven't had for about 2 years and he gets to do something he's excited about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Change good :-)

    Good luck to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Declan! I was wondering one this "topic" I'm glad you are moving into a more exciting, less stressful part of life.. good for you guys <3 Monday brings a brighter future for you both! I'm sure this was hard for him, but sometimes, even when we feel as if we have to be loyal, it's not always the best for us, kuddos for his strength and determination!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Declan! It sounds exciting.
    Good luck y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome, congrats to Declan! 15 years at a job is unheard of these days, but it's awesome that this is the kind of work ethic he has and the loyalty. Some employers still very much appreciate that.

    Congrats again to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to him!! That sounds like it will be so great and I'll be praying everything goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats y'all! That's exciting!

    Prayers being sent for a smooth transition!

    sidenote: I always love coming to your blog and finding a new, fun design. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Change is good! Congrats to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, that's GREAT! Declan's experience reminds me of Brad's so much (I mean, his lifelong dream wasn't to work at Target after studying finance, ha). This gives me hope that Brad's time is coming too. Totally understand being a Christmastime-job-widow. I'm ready for the change. Just hope God's timing is a really really soon. :)

    Congrats Declan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so very similar to Brandon's story... he started his job at 16 and worked for the same company until he was 28 and started his new job last fall. In addition to him using more of his skills, I noticed how much happier he is now-- not that he was unhappy before, but the change invigorated him. I am so happy for your whole family! I am sure there will be adjustments, but I know it will be the best for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats again to him and many prayers for your family as you make the transition. You know that we did a similar thing just a few months before Evalyn was born and it was/is amazing. Our lives/family/marriage etc were transformed by the change in job. Seeing your husband so burnt out at such a young age is so so hard. It is so wonderful to see them doing something they love and are passionate about!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah wow, congrats to him and to the family! I'm glad to hear that it is in his chosen field and it sounds like a wonderful career move for you all.

    We've had some job changes around here too lately that are positive but still a bit stressful. But such is life... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to go D!!!! So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats all the way! That's such great news and we're so happy for you. We had a similar situation a few years ago and it's been wonderful. What a difference doing something you truly love makes.
    Praying for a happy and smooth transition for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on the new job! I am sure the changes will be great. I hope you and your baby girl get to still visit him at lunch sometime. That is just about the sweetest thing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's so exciting! Congrats on the new job! Getting something that is right up his skill set sounds like a great place to move to. Change is sometimes a good thing and it sounds like this one is just that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations and prayers for a smooth transition to working farther away!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love your writing! When my husband got a new job I think I wrote like a sentence about it. You make me almost cry! I hope this new job is mon-fri 9-5! So hard for us mommas when our hubbies work more than that!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Change IS good, you're right. Here's to hoping new jobs equal happiness and a wonderful fresh start for Declan (and Peter and I, haha)!

    ReplyDelete
  23. congrats! Hey are we ever going to get the story of how you found out/told D you were prego with number 2? I remember that post being accidentally deleted...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats to Declan! What an exciting time!

    Your work-from-home gig is with the same company, right? Will you still be continuing on with that?

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's fantastic! My hubby was in a similar situation of working for a long time at a job he liked but wasn't his passion. We had to make some adjustments for him to actually work in the field he'd studied for and really wanted to be in. But I knew he'd do that for me if it was the other way around. I'm excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is so exciting!! Congrats to your hubby & to your family!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aww, congrats to Declan, it sounds like a wonderful opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats on the job change! I hope things go well and he has a great first day!

    ReplyDelete