Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A very hodge podge post about pregnancy stuff.

Warning: There might be whining ahead.

I'm feeling very pregnant these days. I know, it's about time as I'll be 32 weeks this weekend. I'm at the point where certain tasks (like flipping over in the middle of the night) are super annoying and I swear there needs to be a bed pulley system invented for very pregnant women who are a million weeks along like me.

Even though bending over and picking up toys completely makes me feel like all circulation is cut-off, and I may have to hold my breath while doing so? I guess I feel generally pretty good for being so pregnant. I can still bend over and paint my toes, put my shoes on, play with my kid, and am told that I "look small" often (although I tend to just carry kind of small'ish thanks to my long torso). I mean, I still have two whole months. Sometimes that feels like an eternity, and sometimes it feels like it'll be here in a flash.

I went back through some posts from my last pregnancy yesterday and basically I discovered that I do feel a whole lot better this pregnancy than my last (as I was complaining about things like bending over much earlier, and swelling, etc) I don't want to be naive and attribue that all to weight loss, though--but it definitely could be part of the reason. The other blaring obvious difference is that I was teaching, on my feet for most the day, with hundreds of children hanging around me, on a rigid schedule traveling between schools--and so, of course I was beat by the afternoon and going to bed early. Oh, and swelling.

So while I am having to be out and about, at the parks, chasing (literally) a run-away toddler (who is FAST by the way), it's not the same level and intensity of working full time outside of the home (at a job like teaching elementary kids), in my opinion. So I'm not really surprised that I feel better this time, despite the weight loss.

I made the mistake of scrolling through my iPhone pics two nights ago. I was lying in bed, shoving my phone in my husbands face saying things like, "Oh my gosh, look at how skinny I was. Will I ever see that again?" and having serious moments of panic and maybe even a few shed tears (hormones for me kick in something major at this time, fyi). It's hard for me, I'm not gonna lie. That part of pregnancy. Giving up your body. Because sometimes, no matter what you do, your thighs and tush STILL grow. Your arms get a little flubby. And your face gets thicker.

I was sharing my pregnancy weight woes with my friend Kristen who is just 6 weeks behind me, and after some back & forth conversing, she texted me with, "You have your whole life to be skinny"--and I guess she's right. In the grand scheme of things, even though pregnancy feels like forever, it really isn't. It's a little drop in the bucket. I'm working on adapting that perspective.

In the meantime, I'm signing up for 5 & 8K's within a few months of the baby being born to make SURE I stay motivated, and I'm already planning my return back to weight watchers just to make sure I see those small jeans again. However, I will enjoy the last two months of this pregnancy, or do my best anyway.

I'm starting to find myself picking up newborn diapers at the store here and there, and getting the new baby a few new essentials so she has some things of her own, and not all hand-me-downs from her big sister. Declan and I are getting really, really excited to just meet her. Do the whole newborn thing again (although sleep, I will miss you, so), and just love on some sweet smelling baby mushy goodness again.

It feels long. It feels forever at times. I know that all too well.

But I know it will be sooner than I can imagine that she's in my arms and growing up insanely fast.

**

Until then...





17 comments:

  1. You absolutely will be your skinny self again. Know why? Because this time around, you're prepared. You've already done this. You have all the tools to make those iPhone pics a reality again.

    Knowing what to expect is half of the battle. It's so easy to stuff your face, but now that you know how hard it is to lose weight - every bead of sweat, every tear, and every happiness that comes with each success? You know you have what it takes.

    You got this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel! I'm about 3 weeks ahead of you and have gotten to the point where I just feel so big and tired all the time! I teach too, so being on my feet all day exhausts me and leaves me with some lovely cankles. My husband assures me I will get my body back... but these days that just feels so hard to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PLEASE send me this bed pulley. I need it. BADLY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After L, I lost all my weight and was feeling really good about my little body. And I totally panicked about the weight gain with G. I wrote a post at 17 weeks (!) talking about it! It'll come right off. it will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already feel this way and we just found out we're having #2. I am so not looking forward to newborns or having a closet full of clothes that don't fit. I lost the weight pretty easily with the first one but I'm terrified it won't be the same this go round.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree--pregnancy is MUCH EASIER this time around since I'm not working and on my feet all day long.

    I'm also kind of dreading the whole pregnancy weight gain/weight loss thing. This is probably the first week that I will have actually gained weight during the pregnancy, and I'm not gonna lie, it's making me a little anxious! I feel ya...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling "whiney". I'm 37 1/2 weeks along & unless my boy comes on his own before June 18, that's when they will perform my c-section.
    I'm so exhausted, SWOLLEN to the point I can't even tie my tennis shoes across my big fat feet anymore(!!!), and I'm sleeping in the recliner in the living room because I can no longer lie down without pain.
    I can't breathe I'm so big & to top it off I've been suffering with a severe sinus infection for 2weeks, so I can't hear out of either ear, I have to put antihistamine drops in my eyes like 5 times a day, and it makes it even harder to breathe since I'm all stopped up in my head. So I'm feeling ya, girlfriend! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, yep and yep. I feel like I could have written this post a few short weeks ago.

    32 weeks is when I hit a wall and felt pregnant, like really pregnant and I was thinkin how am I going to make it 2 more months?

    Toddlers are super fast, how do they do that? I feel like an idiot when I'm chasing after her, especially when I had the big preggo belly.

    The weight gain? Ugh... I look longingly at my skinny self from a short 9 months ago. How can one gain so much in 9 months...ugh. It will come off, I know it will. I think I can, I think I can...

    Oh and wrangling elementary kids while pregnant should be against the law. I teach Elementary Spanish so I'm also traveling and man I was beat by the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! You look amazing. :-)
    I absolutely love your bucket lists! Do you have one you're making for summer??? hint, hint
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look amazing and I can't wait to see pics of the new baby girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you lady! 27 weeks and I feel HUGE! And I was overweight when I got pregnant so it's 10x worse than it could be. I dont know how I'm going to make it another 3 months especially with the numbness I have in my legs from my tight hips. And the carpel tunnel syndrome I have recently developed in my hands. Lord grant me strength! I can't wait to get back in shape and lose all this weight.well that and meet our beautiful baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "You have your whole life to be skinny!"

    I LOVE this! And it's soooo true. Please remind me of this when I'm having an "I worked so hard to be skinny and now I'm fat and pregnant and I'll never get there again" moment!

    In the meantime?? Enjoy these last few weeks of not having to count points and work your butt off. You're growing a human afterall!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you shared what your friend said. I need to write that down next time I'm pregnant, just to remind myself the weight gain won't last forever! haha

    (and dude, my toddler is fast too! what the heck?! their legs are like 2ft tall!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. don't think i've ever commented before...maybe...

    anyway, i think you look fabulous! i totally understand how you can compare two pregnancies. i did it with my two boys {my first pregnancy was actually easier}!

    Eme is just darling! as the oldest of SIX girls...i can tell you the BEST gift you are giving her is a sibling...& a SISTER at that! there's nothing like having a sister as your friend! i think you'd agree ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You'll be your skinny minnie self faster than I think you know ;) I'm also eager to pick up the C25K again...I was in my 3rd week of training when I got pregnant. I want to run my first 5K in the spring!

    I also like how your friend said we have our entire lives to be skinny. SO TRUE. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  16. girl you will be skinny again. for sure. i remember hitting a wall at 33 weeks and thinking there was no way in hell i would make it. but i did. and you did once and you will again. i imagine this pregnancy has to be way different as you missed the summer months mostly with e.. you're my hero for being pregnant in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be skinny again! Yes pregnancy is wonderful - and your friend is right - we have ages to be skinny!

    BUT - I firmly believe that feeling good about ourselves makes us better wives and moms. You know what it feels like to feel fit and healthy and you want that back. That just means you value yourself which is so very important!

    I know you will be right back to where you were pre-baby #2! And until then, cherish being pregnant and having just Eme!

    ReplyDelete