Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

When nesting strikes, and a big sister "moment"....ruined. Ha.

I feel a little blah about blogging here recently. The thing is, I kind of get the general idea across the board that everyone (okay not everyone) is in this state of funk. So I know I'm not alone. At least to some degree.

Is it because it's summer? I think that could be why. But it just seems like less people are around this time of year. Even I kind of pull back from reading and commenting as much, simply because I'm out there, doing stuff, all day long basically. And seriously, when the weather is awesome--who wants to be inside (if you can help it) anyway?

But still. I find it my responsibility to document anyway. Because the thing is? I suck at all other forms of documenting. A baby book? What's that? I feel guilt over this every.single.day so don't remind me.

I digress.

Back to the case at hand. We're busy. But a good kind of busy.

Yesterday The Nesting Urge hit for the 2nd time. A few weekends ago it hit but I had pulled out my back (which sucked), so it ended up being me sitting on a chair, saying yes & no to random objects my husband was purging in the garage. Not exactly my idea of the best nesting day ever. But my garage is finally clean.

Nevertheless, it struck yesterday. Randomly. And prior to that I've done basically nothing to prepare for this new little one. Not because I don't care, because I do care--but because there is such a different relaxed pace about this 2nd child, and especially with her being the same gender. It's just so easy. I have so much stuff already. It's just a matter of getting it out, cleaning it, setting it up---you know?  Then making a short little list of the things I should really pick up to have on hand, and a few things I should freshen up on. It's SO MUCH DIFFERENT than the first baby, when everything is brand new, and fresh, and you have 50 billion new things from your baby shower for your husband to build and set up.

I went through all the baskets and drawers in Emeline's nursery and started transitioning them into the Big Girl Room because we're getting serious about that transition this week. I went through the Sock Drawer From Hell and matched them up and separated by size because holy cow, that was long overdue. I pulled out bins from the basement of newborn clothes and busted out the Dreft detergent and started laundering all her clothes, blankets, hats, etc. The house currently smells like baby detergent and it.is.divine.

While going nesting-crazy, I had come across a wee little newborn diaper that was shoved back into a basket. Emeline took an interest to it and wanted me to help her diaper her 'baby'. Then, I showed her how to swaddle the baby. She picked the 'baby' up, started patting it's back and rocking back and forth like an old pro saying "oh, 'da baby, so sweet" and all this goo-goo, gah-gah nonsense that was cute as pie and ohmigoshImeltedintomyshoes.



I then had this little weepy moment about her being a big sister and how great she'll be, when seconds later I caught her standing at the top of the steps with this shady little look on her face. AndJUSTlikethat my "moment" was gone as she dangled swaddled 'baby over the steps as I hear her yelling "I THROW YOU!!!!!!!"

We will work on Big Sister 101 some more tomorrow. Ahem.

***

Happy Tuesday!

19 comments:

  1. I think Eme is going to be a fantastic big sis! She just seems so sweet and genuine. I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally feel the blogging funk. If I wasn't able to do some of it at work (shhh..) then I wouldn't get up half my posts. It's just hard, especially during the summer when like you said, it's hard to not be outside just enjoying life.

    Emeline is hilarious, my niece said the same thing about her baby brother, but she is amazing big sister now. I can't wait to see Eme actually interacting with Baby Deux!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bahahaha. She'll be a great sister, throwing and all. ;)

    I wish I blogged more, but you're right...nice outside, no time, exhausted from fresh air by the end of the day, so bed wins. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! It's a good thing you won't expect her to be the sole carrier of baby sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOLed at the last part because that has totally happened in our house. Nothing sweeter than a little girl holding her Elmo and patting him on the back gently and then chucking him into the wall. ;) So excited for you with your baby smelling house! Miss that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I literally just spit out my water laughing at her throwing the baby. OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh nesting. This is my first baby (I'm 21 weeks) and I feel like I've been nesting since we found out the gender. Every Saturday I clean every square inch of the house. I can't wait until we start setting up the nursh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, I am right there with you in the funk. Oh well, no big deal. But your right, about the documenting...so I better get on it...LOL!
    Oh fickle toddlers...so cute one minute and total stinker the next...LOL! I'm sure it will be love at first sight when the baby is actually here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg.. that was too much. I laughed so hard. My brother and I are only 15 months apart, and my mom turned her back on me for a second and I came running into the room with my brother Dan, in a choke hold in my arm with me saying, "My baby" Dan was only a few weeks old, and my mom about had a heart attack when she saw him dangling from my arms blue in the face. Yep, I almost killed my brother, but redeemed myself a few years forward when I saved his life. Haha...

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome. she so cracks me up. she's going to be an amazing big sister. so amazing. and at least babies are resilient ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The airborne stuffed animal at the end had me laughing... I needed that laugh! Love that girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute - and too funny!!! She'll be fine with baby sister :) Can't wait - so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That made me laugh out loud! I bet Emeline will be a great big sis. Katie, dont feel bad about not having a baby book. You have a baby BLOG!!! which is infinitely more detailed & photo-dusted than any book! Is there a way to use iPhoto or snapfish or something to collect your posts in book form?

    ReplyDelete
  14. And so it begins... ;)

    Aw, just teasin'! She's going to love that sister of hers like crazy!!

    And yes, the smell of Dreft is SO sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure she's going to be a wonderful big sis but i am dying over the "shady look" on her face and actually dangling her before throwing the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg I seriously peed my pants, I needed a laugh like that :) I only laugh bc I know what an amazing big sister Eme will be, but heck she's still 2 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAHAHAHA! That totally made my day.

    I feel ya on the blogging thing. It's not that I don't have anything to blog about. I just would much rather be doing something else.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That hilarious, though let's not leave her unattended with new little sis just yet.

    ReplyDelete