Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Oh sweet beach.

Our long weekend beach trip was a blast. I'm sure you had to be living under a rock to not get that vibe from the billion instagram photos I took. But, it was refreshing. And fun to just be a family of 3, soak up that time with Emeline and really just get to enjoy her--just her, as her last few weeks of Only Child wrap up.

We went with some friends and their adorable family. This friend and I were super close friends in high school, and then we had one of those tragic falling outs where we didn't talk to one another for years. And years. And years. I'm serious. In fact, I never, ever foreshadowed her being a part of my life again. Just because our lives went in different directions so much so at the time. But little did I know that God would weave our friendship back together again many years down the line.

When I was pregnant with Emeline, Lauren was pregnant with her daughter, Finley. She reconnected with me on facebook when she found out that we were due around the same time. We apologized for whatever we could remember happened in the past, acknowledged how much our lives have changed since then and the growth we both had as individuals--and a friendship started to form again.

Then our worlds were rocked as we both experienced the whole childbirth thing when our little girls were born just 3 days apart.


The girls started doing swim together and they became fast friends. Insta-bff's. Squeals. Unprompted hugs. They talk about each other daily. Their sweet friendship makes me smile. In a way, our girls brought us back together. No, they absolutely, positively did. I'm grateful for that.


Not just our little girls are friends--but our families, together. It's good.

I'll ease up on the sappiness---back to the beach recapping. Ahem.

I think going away with another family can be risky. You just don't know if it's gonna jive. Your family dynamics, your parenting styles, your children's schedules---is there pressure to do one thing or another, or will it be go with the flow?

And all I can say is--this trip was perfection in that arena. Heck, in all arena's.


It was relaxing. We went with the flow. We had times separate as families and then lots of togetherness. The girls napped on sync with one another and woke up in sync with one another. We had our own rooms, but were right next door. The ebb and flow was perfect. A great, perfect balance. And it definitely rang true with me when I self reflected a bit and realized that not much stressed me out this weekend. At all.


I'm pregnant and slow, but no one seemed to be bothered by that. I (tried) to keep my pregnant complaining to a minimum, but in general, for being so pregnant, and all the walking we did--I felt pretty good. Our husbands get along wonderfully, and our girls were angels most of the time.

We had fun times at the shore. We watched cute little matching bathing suit booties run down the beach. Life was good.


I really don't know if I could have had a better time on this trip. It felt like the perfect way to kind of end this little chapter of my small family of three and prepared me to welcome my new sweet baby into this world in just a matter of weeks.

And I'm grateful for good friends who we shared that time with.




****

Bring it on, baby. 

14 comments:

  1. So sweet :) God works in mysterious ways. So glad you and the girls had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are gorgeous! I'm so glad you guys had a great time and you have totally totally lived these last few months, weeks, days to the fullest as a family of 3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd loved all your Instagram photos. ;)

    And I love that you rekindled a lost friendship. That is awesome.

    You are glowing in all these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures are wonderful!

    Thankful for repaired friendships myself! It's amazing what the Lord can do.

    Glad y'all had fun! You look great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A new baby in just a matter of weeks!! HUZZAH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! How blessed you are to have that friendship! And Eme and Finny's too! I don't know how you stay alive around those two - I die from the adorable pictures, I'm sure it is much better in real life! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos! Love your dress.

    Now have a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such an adorable family! I love reading your posts and seeing your pictures. :)

    http://insunshineandshadowsmew.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had such a great time Katie! Glad to hear it was a success. So cute that Em has a bff already.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! My best friend of like 10 years and I had a falling out and I hope some day this could be our story, but probably not. Maybe this is our story with the friend from high school that I have playdates with regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sigh...I wish I could reconnect with my friend who now hates me. I am SO tempted to email her on FB but I'm scared!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you guys had a fabulous time on your trip!! You look super fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are so cute together! Love their matching suits. :)
    Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you've found another family you can vacation with! We are blessed with good friends that we love to travel with too. It's so much more fun that way...

    Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete