Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

...the rest of THAT. (continued from this morning...)

(This morning I shared about the first part of finding out how I was pregnant with baby #2....if you missed it, find it here.)

That afternoon waiting for Declan to get home was killer. It was absolutely the longest afternoon of my life, and I swear the minutes just crept by. 

I had the book hidden so it wasn't out right when he got home--I knew he'd need a few minutes of getting settled once he came in, so he could fully process once the whole"oh hey! by the way, you're gonna be a daddy of two!" news came out.

He came in, greeted us, gave us kisses--and went upstairs to change out of his work clothes. During this time, I gave Emeline the Big Sister book and told her that when Daddy came down, he would read it to her. 

A few minutes later, Declan came down the steps and was all "hi baby girl, how was your day?" and she's approaching him with this new, purple book, and saying, "Daddy! book!" while shoving it in his hands before he's even down fully into the living room, yet. 

He takes the book from her hand and I'm anxiously sitting on the couch about to burst. 

He's holding the book, telling Emeline he'll read it to her--and he STILL hasn't even looked at the book to see that he's about to read his fate. 

He sits down on the living room floor and pats his lap for Emeline to come sit down--and then, he finally turns the book over to see the cover.

He begins to read the title out loud to her.....

"I'm a big...........(long pause)

WHAT?

.........a WHAT?

....babe....REALLY?"  

He had a huge, cheesy, in-awe/questioning grin on his face, with Emeline on his lap---he looked at me for confirmation. 

All I could do was muster up a fast head nod & cheesy grin as well, with a side of misty-eyes.

There was lots of hugs and you're gonna be a big sister! excitement going on. Declan even commended me on the way I told him, how it was perfect since book-reading is their thing. 

It was special. It really was special. And simple. And I still kind of kick myself for not getting his reaction on video because it was just so genuine and sweet. 

But I have the memory in my head and heart and that's what matters.

And after that initial excitement and the sigh of relief that I was finally able to spill the beans to my counterpart?....he read her the book :)

***

24 comments:

  1. Ah ! This post gave me the chills! How sweet, seriously! I bet it was just the perfect moment - time must've stopped when you saw his reaction :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I commend you for being able to hold it in. I always made grand plans in my head for how I was going to tell my husband and both times I just came out of the bathroom and blurted it out. The second time it was more like "Um... I think I'm pregnant but I'm not sure" (I, like you, saw a faint line after twisting it in a million different directions under the light). What a fun memory you will have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great story, Katie! I can't believe your second little bundle will be here so soon. I can't wait to watch your continued parenting journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great story, Katie! I can't believe your second little bundle will be here so soon. I can't wait to watch your continued parenting journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sooooo cute! LOVE the book idea. good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is so adorable I may have cried!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute!! I hope the next go around I can be more creative with how I tell the husband. Though I don't think it will be hard to top considering last time all I did was wake him up at like 5am waving a pee stick in his face! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it Katie and so glad you wrote about it. That has to be one of the cutest ways I've heard to tell your hubby that your pregnant. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love this Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, that is SO sweet! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your "sister" story :) Praying for a smooth and easy next couple weeks :) Especially that a sweet little toddler is easy on her momma with this heat! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I'm all misty-eyed now!! What a beautiful story of telling Declan about sweet baby #2. So happy for you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I'm all misty-eyed now!! What a beautiful story of telling Declan about sweet baby #2. So happy for you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww what a sweet way to tell him. I know I will just blurt it out, I'm horrible at surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay so the story is great and all. But let's talk about what's really important in this post. DID YOU SEE THAT PIC OF EMELINE?? SHE IS A BABY?!!?!


    How did they change from being babies to being big girls so fricking fast? Now I just went back and looked at my pics from the day I told Ev I was preg. EVA IS SO YITTLE TOO!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww finally! I love it! So cute, and what a special way to do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally made me cry. Such a special story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw! It definitely sounds sweet. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww love this story! I always like hearing about the hubby's reactions. :) And what a cute way to break the news. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww! & I was totally sitting here thinking, "Man, I would have a dumb grin on my face and totally be crying," when I read that you did the same thing. I'm glad you shared the story!

    ReplyDelete