Pages

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Sweet times with my big girl.

I heard Emeline over the monitor this morning around 9am. We were out late at fireworks last night, hence the sleep-in (although I wish 9am was normal). I looked over and saw Declan still perfectly asleep.

I peeked to see what she was up to and she had her head behind the curtains, and her eyes peering through the blinds--all the 'perks' of big girl bed, you know, she can get out and roam as she pleases. She was saying, "There's Daddy's car! There it is!"

I snuck out of bed quietly to go get my girl, and when I entered the click of the doorknob surprised her a little. Morning Baby. Hi Momma. Our morning cuddles & kisses were exchanged, she was wide awake on her own--hence, no morning meanies were present. I changed her. I pulled up her wispy blonde curly hair into a high pony tail. I remember when she had no hair and I wondered if I'd ever get to do this. She requested to wear her minnie-mouse ears.

I deemed her my helper to take Mac outside to potty. I grabbed her a cup of milk on the way down to the basement. She wanted me to hold her and carry her down the steps. Of course I did. And when I went to take Mac out she said, "My turn, Mommy, my turnnnn!" (aka: I do it myself). This is part of her daily vocabulary now. Everything. She wants to do everything herself. It's both adorable and exhausting. And a test of patience for sure.

I clipped the leash on Mac and let her open the door for him. Then she snuck out through my legs and went straight for the swings, where of course, she wanted to swing like a big kid. She fumbled to get on the swing with her sippy cup in hand, but with a little help she managed.

After a few minutes we went back in, I held her hand up all the steps as we went back to the living room. We laid around for a little bit and watched some Disney Jr., and then she asked to cuddle with her baby sister. Of course, to her--that must include pulling my shirt up. But who am I to deny that kind of love?


She began to sing to her. A made-up song that I so wish I could share but it involves her name, and rhyming words, and seriously, it was adorable. She is such a sweet girl. We both giggled when her song was over. She was proud.

I said, "Hey, let's go get breakfast!"--and told her we could stay in our pj's when we go. We got in the car, disheveled and still groggy, shoeless and all, to run through the Dunkin Donuts drive-thru. Just us.

From the moment we got in the car, she requested "baby, oh" and then quickly followed that up with, "Bieber, please."  Clear as day. I laughed---I did, I can't help it. There's something about your 2 year old requesting Justin Bieber that makes me smile. You better believe I turned it on, and loud. She sang all the lyrics. We jammed on our drive. I'd glance back to see her jamming and it made my heart full.

The song ended, and she requested "Baby, Oh, Again?" I normally tell her that we'll listen to a few more songs, then go back to it. But this morning? I clicked back and we listened to it again. She danced and wiggled and sung in her carseat.

And again.

And I couldn't help but think about how silly and precious at the same time this one on one time with her is. Being that my days as just her momma are dwindling down. It's not that I'm sad about that, because we're excited and ready for the changes, and eager to watch Emeline fall into big-sister role. But I'm also trying to just savor the fact that right now I can give her lots of undivided attention. I can carry her down the steps at her request because for now, my arms are empty. I can take her out on a whim, in our pj's, shoeless to get breakfast for the family. I can listen to Justin Bieber in the car with her on repeat, loud, because there's no sleeping newborn.

This time is so sweet.

Mornings like today remind me of that.

***

19 comments:

  1. So, so sweet!! Em is going to be an amazing big sister. I can't wait to hear baby girls name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post!! Emeline is going to be such a great big sister!! And who doesn't love a breakfast run to Dunkin Donuts!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such truth. And a good reminder to just savor the little things in life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this photo on Instagram and melted! She is so, so sweet. Once the baby is botn you'll have to tell us the song :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. GAH! Tears! One of my favorite posts you've written sissy! felt like I was right there with you. So glad you had such a great morning with her! Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg, I just loved this post. So precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I might have a tear! So sweet. I just picture the two of you sneaking around quietly while Declan sleeps. Isn't it nice to savor the time instead of ugh it is morning? So nice that I can read blogs of all you mommas have #2 and get even more time to cherish my one on one time with C. Dying to hear what baby girl's name is. When you posted that pic on instagram I thought I saw an A in a picture but I think it is a bird. I'm trying to be a detective!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so sweet ! I can't get over it !!! .. your doing such a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Precious. That's a morning you won't ever forget. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sweet! I've been doing the same thing with E these days too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That time with your big girl is the best!! I hope that even after the baby comes you can still have some Eme and Mommy time sometimes!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's one of the sweetest posts that I've read in a long time. Love those simple days when it's the littlest things that make us so very thankful to be moms to some amazing kids!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this post just needs a big 'ol LOVE button. such a sweet morning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The picture just makes me melt. Such a precious time for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That photo is so sweet. Love it and these special moments you two have. I think Emeline will remember them forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to make a hormonal, tired new mama bawl.

    ReplyDelete