Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

More things.

I poured my heart out yesterday on my post and received nothing but encouraging, kind words, and oh I've been there, and oh I'm there with you now, too---and it made me feel normal. And somehow I think I made other moms feel normal, too. Thank you, so much, for being pretty much the most encouraging group of people, ever.

I am not sure where I'm headed with this. So bear with me.

Both girls woke up this morning at the exact same time. 8am, actually--so I feel like I can't complain about that. It's much better than 7am, and a hella lot better than 6am or some god forsaken hour (which rarely happens around here). And I've been a little worried about what I'd do if that happened--but really? No big deal at all. We made it work, and thank you Jesus for the moby wrap.

Speaking of the Moby--I heard so many mixed reviews on this wrap but I really, really like it so far. Yes, the long piece of fabric seems to GO FOR MILES. It's not convenient to just shove in your diaper bag or something (in my opinion), but it can be done. And once you know how to wrap it once, you're golden. It's easy as pie. I'm currently typing this post as a little sniffly newborn is strapped to my chest. Both hands are free. I can sip my coffee. I can type.  I consider this a huge win.

Also, I feel like it's a good wrap when you really don't want people to touch your baby. I guess all wraps are kind of like that. But, you know what I mean.

**

You know how people write posts (I did too, last time) about their favorite baby items? On the 2nd kid, they talk about how their favorite things have changed and all?

Yea. I don't really know if I'd have much to say on that this time. My two favorite things for this baby are the moby wrap as I said, and gowns. I forgot how annoying snaps are and honestly, in the middle of the night I'm way too tired to be snapping some puzzle together. It usually ends up a mess and is more irritating than it's worth at 3am. I've probably made my husband go out and buy about 6 more newborn gowns for Lucy so far. Me=Lazy in the middle of the night. Sue me.

So if you're about to have kid #2--my suggestion is: get a wrap that you can be hands free while you tend to your toddler (or write your blog posts), and stock up on gowns. You will be way too tired to unsnap anything in the middle of the night, trust me.

There's that.

**

I could, and maybe should write a post about how breastfeeding is going this time around. I wrote about the subject a few times with Emeline. I'm no die-hard, but I know it's best for my kids and my body seems to jive with it, so I go with it. I feel way blessed that I can, even though it's a total and complete body sacrifice in my opinion. For now all I'll say is, it's a million times easier this go around. I never had one issue in the hospital where I couldn't get her to latch properly. She's eating well and gaining weight like a champ. And honestly? It hurts so much less this time, too.

In fact, at the hospital, the lactation consultant walked in while I was nursing the baby in a pro hold, hands free (using the boppy), perfectly latched kid, with my laptop up on my knees while I was editing photos---and she just smiled and said, "Oh 2nd time moms. Doesn't look like you need me, dear!" We both just laughed and I told her that if I ended up needing her I'd call for her. It really has been a cinch though. So grateful.


(all photos in this post are courtesy of my sister-in-law, Lyryn--thank you, Lyr!)
Speaking of photos, I did Lucy's newborn pictures myself (and you saw some of them). I mean, that's part of the fun having your own little baby model to play with, right?

But I really wanted some lifestyle-type photographs of the family. Ones I could actually be in. So I'm grateful that my sister-in-law, Lyryn came when Lucy was 1 week old and did that for us in our home. Here are a few of my favorites.





***

And that's all I got.

Have a happy weekend, my friends.

xo

34 comments:

  1. My god, those babies are gorgeous! So is mama! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for saying that breastfeeding hurts less the 2nd time around. I'm actually pretty worried about it, because the let down felt like knives traveling through my veins for the first 2 weeks with Zoe.... so that statement gives me hope!

    also, I absolutely LOVE the last picture. It's just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca- I had the same issue with my first son and the let downs. They were so painful that if I was having a conversation while bfing and had a let down I couldn't even keep talking. I would close my eyes and hold my breath til it passed. With my second son I could feel the let downs but they were never painful. Just a slight pulling sensation. So I have a theory that let downs get less painful with each child. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. You are just so gorgeous! Your little family is so cute. I really appreciate your honesty on your blog. It makes me feel a little less terrified of one day having two children. Lucy, in all of her squishy sweetness, is making me long for another baby. Hopefully we will have another one soon. Love the photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes a wrap and a good carrier for when they get bigger is a must with baby number two. We have the boba baby carrier and I use it all the time- more so with outings than at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I totally agree with the breastfeeding the 2nd go around. WAY EASIER. Of course I wasn't sure if it had anything to do with the fact that I was only NOT nursing for 9 months in between babies. So glad to know that its easier even if there is a bigger gap.

    2. I really wanted my 2nd to be a wrap baby, but I just couldn't do it. I felt like if I tried to bend over to do anything with my toddler that he would just fall out!! But I'm glad it is working with you!

    3. You look amazing! I know its too early for you to be back on WW but just wondering if you've already lost a lot of the baby weight.

    4. Lucy is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for advice on the moby wrap. I wasn't sure if I would use one with the second, but you've convinced me. Your family photos are so gorgeous! It must be so awesome to have so much photographic talent in one family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such beautiful pictures! Your daughters are going to LOVE to be able to go back and look at these as they grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pictures are so sweet!

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your girls are gorgeous! must get it from their momma! i love how honest and to the point your blog is, takes the words right out of my mouth! thanks for the laughs and cries everyday that I can have along with you as I get through this time as well. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I discovered the love of my Moby when Connor was about a week and a half. My summer master's classes had started and so did his reflux. He needed to be upright but I needed to be doing homework. The Moby was a lifesaver!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These pictures are so so gorgeous! Love them! I'm glad you like the Moby! We had 0 problems with it when Kendall was small, I loved it! I could vacuum in it and everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, this certainly delivered a swift kick to the ovaries! Love the shot of us peeking into your nursery through the door - so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ditto on the breast feeding being so much easier the second time, it just works. My husband use to work on a farm and always relates to breafeeding to when he milked cows and he explained to me that second time cows have better developed mammary glands and produce more milk. He compares me to a milk cow, nice. Anyway...wow, that's a weird comment.

    Oh and I'm glad that photo sesh was staged because you can't possibly look that good just on the fly, right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. My friend was wearing a moby at Noah's party, and it looks so comfortable! We had one of those clunky backpack type things, and it was a pain to use. Totally investing in a moby next time.
    So happy the BF is going so well! That's a huge relief, I'm sure.

    The pictures are beautiful! And I'm thoroughly impressed you were able to look that gorgeous so soon after having her. Seems like I spent the first month in PJ's after Noah. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Jesus for Moby wraps....and when she is bigger I looooove my Ergo baby(and the big kids can ride in that one too!) I loved gowns with my boys too!

    Your family photos.....breathtaking my friend :)

    Keep rocking it momma!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE the pics! Wish you or your sister in law were close to do mine! :) I guess I need to get some more gowns- can totally see that being super helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am in love with the last photo. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such beautiful pictures, Katie! I especially think the pictures of you feeding tiny Lucy are so special, as it's nice to capture that moment in time as it's such a brief time in life, ya know?

    Random question: when do we get to see Lucy's nursery? Or did I somehow miss that post?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm loving all these posts from you mamas that just had your 2nds! I also am loving all the breast feeding pics! I love your lifestyle pics. You have a gorgeous smile but he closed lip pics are so pretty! I'll have to try that next time we get pictures taken. I'm sure I'll look ridic!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the one with you and Lucy, with her laying on your chest. That was my favorite way to hold Simon. I *sort of* wish I could snuggle him like that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The pics of you BFing Lucy are just beautiful! And that one picture of you and Hubs kissing Lucy, her face is just priceless! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the photos but definitely the nursing! So beautiful to see a sweet baby getting fed.

      Delete
  22. It's so awesome that you're breast feeding in the pictures. Matt and I were just saying how we don't have hardly any pictures of me like that. It's such a sweet phase and in the grander scheme of time it's such a short phase. What a perfect beautiful way to remember.

    Loooove the moby too. Now you're making me prematurely ansty

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous photos of your oh so beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  24. 1. I love the nursing pics but the last pic is my favorite.

    2. Lucy's black hair reminds me of my boys' as newborns.

    3. I buy everyone gowns when they have a baby. It's my go-to gift.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Um...you look STUNNING, as if you don't always...but my goodness. Being a mother of 2 definitely agrees with you, ma'am. This just makes my heart smile. You know how precious I think your family is...and this just took it up another notch. Oh goodness, I am just in love with those sweet girls. Can't wait to have one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're looking great!! ;) Both of you girls are goregous! You are blessed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I always love your photos and I love hearing all you have to say. Even your stuggles. I have even thought about you during the day! Crazy huh?
    I am also jealous that you have two beautiful baby girls. I want to have a second in the near future and I really hope my girl can have a sister <3

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ok so I don't comment nearly enough as I should because I'm always reading on my phone and you know the gist but Katie dear, you are just glowing!
    I'm in love with your sweet little family and I absolutely (still) love reading all about your lives. I love these photos and I love your honesty about everything.
    You are blessed girl and I know you know it!

    p.s. your hair looks amazing right now and I really want your rich color :)

    ReplyDelete