Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

My Post Baby Body, round two.

Here we are, 4 weeks postpartum, and I think I'm ready to talk about this. Honestly, the only reason I even waited so long to talk about it at all is because I thought it'd be kind of a sore thing to talk about after having a baby. Oh that girl only cares about her body? She should be at home snuggling her baby. Pish Posh. 

Don't you worry, there has been absolutely NO shortage of baby snuggling around here.



But I admit it's been hard not to think about my get-the-body-I-worked-hard-for-back plan. If I'm being completely honest, I thought about this through my pregnancy. While I enjoyed a ton of crap food I probably shouldn't have ever eaten, if I'm being honest. Do I think I ate less as far as quantity of food goes than with my first pregnancy? Yes. I do. But I definitely didn't make great choices, and let's be honest here---cravings are a beast. They warp your mind and you forget everything you know when one hits. So, there's that.

The good news is, that I was all around more fit this pregnancy. I weighed a whole lot less to start than I did with Emeline. All that work I did last year was completely worth it to make this part easier and less daunting than it was last time.

For example, here I am at the end of both pregnancies. 

(forgive me for the bare belly pic...but it was literally the closest pic to the end I had...
less than 24 hours before Lucy arrived)

***

I gained 31 pounds exactly with each pregnancy. Kind of weird, huh?

So, this time around, I'm not waiting 7 or 8 months to kick my rear in gear to get fit again. Last time I was lazy. Last time I thought that was the body I was stuck with forever. This time? I know better. And since I got my body to a place I was very happy with last Fall, running 5K's and all, I know that's my goal again this time. Because ultimately, it's about health and feeling good, for me.

Postpartum comparison....well, there's no comparison. My uterus shrunk down pretty fast this time compared to last, and I'm not really sure why.



Honestly, that was the best part about this thing so far....I didn't walk around looking or feeling pregnant for weeks after like I did last time. In fact, I was shocked when I finally got the courage to look in the mirror at the hospital the day after Lucy arrived. I just expected it would look like last time.

The nurses made several comments about how my uterus went down much faster than most women when they'd do those annoying belly-push-checks.


So here it goes...Operation Lose The Weight, 2nd time around begins.

Stuff for this time around to note:

-I'm 4 weeks postpartum as of yesterday, and to be honest? My weight hasn't changed pretty much at all since week 2. But I haven't changed the way I eat, really--or done much exercise other than some walks here and there.

-I have exactly 21 pounds to lose to reach where I felt best and most fit. But who knows, I may go for more.

-I'm a little nervous this time because I'm exclusively breastfeeding. I wish I was one of those girls where bf'ing makes me shed pounds like whoa, but it DOESN'T. It actually makes me retain water and extra weight so I'm praying that I can still lose weight while nursing. It's important to note it could be a slower weight loss than last time for this reason. Who knows though, maybe I'll be surprised.

-I'll be following the weight watchers plan again, so I'll be tracking points. I started tracking as of this morning! Welcome back to my world, WW. Welcome back.

-I will run again. Last night was my first post-baby run and I went for a mile straight on the treadmill (because it was pouring rain). I'd always rather run outdoors, honestly. I was going to follow the C25K plan but I just hate the walk/run thing, so I'd rather just increase my mileage by .25 or .5 every few days until I'm back up to 5K running plus. I hope to run in a race by October/November. (I realize most people wait until the 6-week-check to run again, but honestly I know my body and I feel great. I've healed so much better and quicker than last time, too.)

-I will be taking my measurements today, too. Those are super important and were VERY important on my last weight watchers journey. Some weeks I'd have no weight loss, but would lose inches--so it kept me motivated.

****

And now...here's the sucky part for me. Posting my "before" pictures for this weight loss thing. Ugh. I hate it. My brain tells me to STOP! DON'T DO IT! Don't you have any pride? But I know I need to.

Here I am last night. Right before my run. And after having spaghetti for dinner a few hours before. Oh, and I'm wearing too tight running capris, hence all the bulging pudge. It hasn't even been a full month since I've had a baby. Okay. Excuses, excuses. Here it is.



Time to get healthy again. 

Let's do this.


50 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration! I'm only 18 weeks pregnant but can't wait to get back on WW after the baby comes :-) You look great and I can't wait to see your progress. Good luck and thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know you can/will rock this just like you did last time!!! and for the record ---oh!my!goodness!your!kids!are!cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh... it's like reading an old post of mine.
    For ME, it came off much slower the 2nd go round. I, too, hold on to extra weight while breastfeeding.
    I felt the exact same way when I looked at my body in the hospital after MJ. I thought- "well that's not TOO bad!" I also thought I would look the same as I did postpartum #1.
    So it's a good thing you've got less to lose this time.
    However, it may take you as long, or longer...
    It gets harder after each baby to lose I think.
    Also- C25K will keep your heart rate cycling- walk, run, walk, run, etc.- which means maximum fat loss. So I'd really follow it if you can. You'll burn more calories. AND it give your body some time to rest so quick after labor.
    Just my 2 cents.

    You can do it girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, you are such an inspiration. And you have a got to attitude which always helps. I haven't recently had a baby; in fact my "baby" is four. I have been kicking my butt literally and figuratively since March working my booty off, or at least trying too. And everyday I try not to beat myself up because I am no longer the size 2 I was when I got married; I am a very curvy size 14. {ugh that sucked just typing the numbers} Anyways I just wanted to say I know you can do it! And I think you look great 4 weeks post out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking great, lady! I'm looking forward to following along and getting some good motivation for post Baby 2 as well. You got this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to follow your journey! That will be in just 15 short weeks so I'm glad to have you motivate me along the way.

    Also. Maybe it's also that your face is thinner but you all around just LOOK GOOD and I keep thinking "her hair looks so great dark like that". Just thought you should know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get it girl! I started this weekend too after my rib finally healed and man, does it suck. I know eventually it will be old hat, but I know you can do it! :) We have about the same amount of weight to lose, so I wouldn't be opposed to some friendly competition as motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Question... I'm wanting to join WW again but am curious how it works when bf'ing. Are the points the same? I just don't want to mess up my supply. I am so ready to get this baby weight off!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this, and for always being real about your weight loss experiences. You looked AWESOME through your entire pregnancy, and you still do. Seriously, you are a HUGE inspiration to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm nervous too. Breastfeeding doesn't make me lose weight either, and it's HARD to think that it could be a year or more before I start to feel "normal" again. Sigh.

    Go girl! You know you can do it, and you know what works!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl you got this!! You look pretty darn amazing for only being 4 weeks post partum!

    You've done it once, you can do it again! Can't wait to see how it goes this time around!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just started WW again today, too! I lost a bunch of weight after my daughter was born but over the last 8 months I put back on about 8 lbs... and now none of my pants fit since I bought all new (small!!) jeans when i lost the weight. Here's to lots of #WW tags on instagram!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well you know you and your sister are a huge inspiration of mine. Good luck to you again! I will say that you might stick to the C to 5k program because the intervals allow for maximum fat burn. If you're looking for more of a challenge, you could totally start at weeks 3, 4, or 5.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dang girl, you look good right now! I'm excited to follow you through another weight loss journey. You're the one that motivated me to get off my butt and do it (although I was also one of the lucky people who did lose a massive amount of weight just from bf'ding.)!

    I definitely be here cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.S. You look amazing already!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look great. I'm two weeks postpartum right now and I have 20lbs to go. I didn't lose any last week and was a bit frustrated, but I've eaten whatever I've wanted whenever I wanted. I'm starting to cut back on my sweets today and adding in healthy options. We will see how it goes but I did also feel a little selfish worrying so much about my weight with a two week old in my arms!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so inspiring! And I know that you will totally rock this again! I can't wait to see all your successes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You already look fantastic! I was totally one of those people working out before 6 weeks post partum...as long as you feel good, do it! And don't worry, as I was soaking up my newborn snuggles, I was totally worried about my weight...everyone secretly does it:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are going to rock this just like last time! I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look great at 4 weeks and good for you for running already. How did it feel? I'm at 3 months and still have at least 10 lbs to lose - maybe WW would be a good plan for me too? Do you find it tedious to keep track? I am so so so tired of the nasty flabby muffin top. I fear I am one of those people the bf'ing doesn't help me lose weight but instead retain like you said.

    Good luck on your journey, you're incredible and I know you'll be where you want to be in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ok....I'm SO GLAD I FOUND YOUR BLOG!! I started following you in June. February 2011 I gave birth to triplets (two boys and a girl...but my daughter was stillborn) I had gained 41 pounds and had them at 31 weeks. I thought 41 pounds was great for triplets! It took me awhile to start doing something about losing the weight...with having twin newborns and mourning the loss of my babygirl, I didn't start exercising until 6 months out. Any way I lost the pounds...but didn't get my body back in the shape I wanted and BAM...found out I was pregnant again. This time with just one baby. I thought...piece of cake I can do one baby. And the pregnancy was much easier. I wasn't sick at all like with the trips. But it was during the summer and oh did ice cream sound good! I gained a horrendous 60 pounds with Jacob (who was born 6 weeks ago..July 16th) So I was motivated to do something about this and quick!! I had Jacob on a monday, I joined weight watchers 5 days later! I have 22 pounds left to lose before I hit the pre baby weight mark. But I need to lose 20 more on top of that! I'm so excited you're posting your progress on your blog. It will keep me motivated and encouraged! I DO NOT have the courage you do, to post before pictures. kudos to you!! You look great! Thanks for being an encouragement to me :) (my blog is randhholguin.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If I would have accomplished all you have I would be talking about my postpartum bod too! Seriously, no judging here and you already look amazing and are really a huge inspiration to me! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your honesty. Good luck and remember to cut yourself some breaks here and there.. YOU CAN DO THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i'm with ya...i had baby #6 (3 weeks ago come wed) and i have a ton to lose

    ive got 16 more to lose to pre preg and another 15 to get where i was after #4. haha....

    i need to work out and walk ...but i'm too tired these days chasing all the kids

    u look fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good for you for getting back in the game so quickly after Lucy. You look fab {really you do}! I wish you the best of luck and I look forward to following you on your post baby weight loss journey.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look great either way.

    I'm right there with ya on the weight loss train except I wish I only had 21 pounds to lose...which by the way isn't surprising how little you actually lose after giving birth. I only lost 4 pounds after having a 7 pound baby.

    I think I have about 25 to go since I gained (cough) 60 (cough) pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You look AMAZING! I am days away from having my third & can't wait to jump on the wagon with you... but it will take me MONTHS to look as good as you do now. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, the difference in your one week PP pics is amazing! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  30. you look great! im worried about my post baby body and how i will feel, i think i will find it hard! x

    ReplyDelete
  31. You should still be able to lose weight while breastfeeding. Just make sure to take it slow and watch your milk supply. Sometimes just drinking more water will get your supply back up to where it was.
    I am still breastfeeding my 9 month old, and I decided to get healthy much like you back in 2011. I've lost all my baby weight and an additional 30 pounds. My supply was still fine!
    (I didn't use Weight Watchers, though. I used the book Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson.)
    Good luck, Katie. I'll be cheering you on from Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This post made me want to hug you. Seriously! I'm 30 weeks pregnant with baby # 2 and I can't wait to get back on the "Get my body back" bandwagon. Of course, I'll take wonderful care of my baby boy, but mama wants to feel human again!!

    Rooting for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am right there with you! Posting my postpartum pic tomorrow...eek! You look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Good for you Katie! I am so nervous about this after I have the baby, but excited all at the time same time. I am so ready to take this weight off and more I can't even stand it. I plan on joining your post-baby body challenge October 15th...6 weeks post-partum for me. If delivery and everything goes well and I can muster up the strength to start it at 4 weeks I will, but 6 weeks is my this is it, your time of eating what you want is over and we are on it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good for you Katie! I am so nervous about this after I have the baby, but excited all at the time same time. I am so ready to take this weight off and more I can't even stand it. I plan on joining your post-baby body challenge October 15th...6 weeks post-partum for me. If delivery and everything goes well and I can muster up the strength to start it at 4 weeks I will, but 6 weeks is my this is it, your time of eating what you want is over and we are on it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  36. In just a few weeks, I'll be right there with you! Definitely excited for you as you jump back into this... good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I was just trying to explain to my husband why I wanted to loose more before we try for #2 and about the desire to bounce back faster etc. perhaps I should just show him this blog since you said it so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Seriously, you are going to rock this! I've already told you that you are the one that inspired me to run and I seriously can't thank you enough for sharing your journey last time and now this time! So, now I have some questions! Are doing just the basic ww plan or the nursing plan? I struggle with that part because you have to have 1800 calories, yada yada yada. I guess that's why it's hard to lose that last 5 to 10 lbs? Secondly, where all do you measure? I can definitely see how that would help keep you motivated! Lastly, you really do look great!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Dude! You look great!!!!! The pics of you after Eme and after Lucy are like seriously 2 different people! It's just amazing! You are going to rock it the second time around and you will be better then ever!!! I'm excited to see the progress! Get it Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  40. You got this! You are like my workout hero!

    ReplyDelete
  41. You legit look AMAZING. Thanks for the inspiration! I have lost all of the baby weight from my March 2011 babe plus 15 lbs and now I'm terrified to go for number two since I'm afraid of "undoing" all of my hard work. You give me hope.
    Good luck with your running-- you're going to rock it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think you look amazing for only 4 weeks postpartum. Get it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Katie, you look great - you were a beautiful pregnant woman both pregnancies and such an inspiration to see your body transformation last year. I'm also exclusively breastfeeding but looking to start weight watchers at week 5 or 6 post partum. Just know that you're doing a great job and it really won't be too long before you are at your goal. Thanks for being so transparent for all the masses out here!

    ReplyDelete
  44. i'm seriously so glad you're posting this. i was ridiculously proud of you last time and i know you'll do this again in no time. although i do think you look amazing right now. way to go girl. i can't wait to follow along again!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you for being so honest with your blog. You were the reason that I got off my butt and lost 25 pounds this past year, after watching you on WW after Eme. I know that you'll kick the weight again, because you know how to do it. I just can't believe you're running already! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  46. You look great Katie! And I'm amazed at your stick.to.it.ness. ;)

    I thought of you tonight during my run when I was feeling sluggish and tired and just wanted to go home and go to bed. I thought, "Look at Katie...she JUST had a baby and is all motivated and here I am ready to throw in the towel. Move it sister!" LOL. Thanks for the motivation to those of us 'lazy' moms that wait 8 months to shed the baby blubber. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  47. You look fab, girlfriend! I have no doubts you will have your pre-Lucy hot bod back in no time! Hopefully we can do another race together sometime ;)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Looking good lady! I'm taking the "do not work out for 6 weeks" to the fullest and enjoying "doctors orders" while I can. My 6 week apt is next week so I'm sure I'll be back in the gym soon after.

    I did WW after Ethan and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  49. looking good mama! keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete