Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

One day at a time.

Yesterday was my first day alone mom'ing two girls. I'm not gonna lie and act like I wasn't a little bit nervous, because I totally was.

Having Declan home for the first week was amazing. He was able to pretty much take care of all of the needy toddler issues, while also taking care of me, so that I could take care of Lucy. Basically, he made me breakfast and lunch everyday and I could french kiss him just for that. But he did even more. Grocery shopped (twice). Changed diapers of both girls. Got up with me to help with Lucy. Took Emeline on outings to keep her busy. Put her down for naps. On top of his regular stuff like nighttime/bathtime routines, etc. The list goes on and on.

I guess I got a little spoiled because I honestly thought I CAN NEVER DO THIS ALONE.

Which, in hindsight, was a mixture of hormones...and, hormones.

Because it can be done. So long as you view little things as successes.

I'm here to tell you we survived. And mothers of 2+ are not allowed to laugh at me. Mmk?

Yesterday's little successes were as follows:

When my 2 year old woke up, my newborn was still asleep. This was huge for me. I figured if that could happen? I'd be golden. I could get her up and changed, breakfast fed, all while Lucy still slept. It worked out just like that and it was perfect.

I got to eat breakfast, too. I honestly expected to never eat again, well--nothing other than snacks or something I shove in my mouth in quick passing of the pantry. But I had toast with peanut butter, cantaloupe, and blueberries. Oh, and coffee. COFFEE IS A MUST.

Emeline was on her best behavior. Do I have to tell you that our morning was filled with a lot of lazy couch sitting, cuddling, me nursing a baby, and, oh, THREE MOVIES? No. I don't have to tell you that. But it's the truth. Watching movies yesterday was part of our survival, and I'm not going to harp on myself for that. It happened. I don't feel bad, either.

I got both my children dressed. I could have easily declared it PJ day. But, I figured that if they got dressed, even if I didn't? That it would somehow make me feel accomplished. It did a little. Does it matter that they weren't dressed until noon? Who cares.

We had lunch. Silly, perhaps--but, we sat at the table, and so what if it consisted of hot dogs and cheese sticks (for her), and an iPad for entertainment. We both ate, people. I had two meals by 1pm. I even checked my email during this time and responded to a few questions. (Also, sorry if I haven't been good at responding lately, don't hold it to me--I promise to try and be better once things settle down a bit...)

She napped. Thank the sweet baby Jesus--I told myself all day if I could just get to Emeline's naptime, I'd be in the clear. Three blissful hours she napped. And then? There was only one hour left until the Daddy Will Be Home prowl out the windows began.

I loaded the dishwasher. I kept up with the house. Yep, small successes. For what it's worth, I left the unloading part to my husband. Hey, I had to leave him something to do after all.

I took a shower. You know that taking showers are a luxury once you have children. So the fact that I managed one on Day One Alone? Awesome. Do I have to tell you the reason why is because my sister was here snuggling Lucy at the time? Darn. 

I had dinner on the table. I wish it was because, you know, I whipped up my best meal and did meal planning and grocery shopping-but nope (let's be honest, when do I do this, ever?). We just have awesome friends & family who have been bringing us dinner. And last night was no exception. I mean, I at least plated the food. That counts for something....right?

I kissed my husband when he got home. How is this a success? Because I didn't want to kick him, or punch him in the gut for leaving me. I didn't want to be all I can't believe you left me with two kids, and must be nice in your peaceful office all day.  I was genuinely happy to see him, he missed us, too--and all was right in the world.

My successes were small. But we did it. We had peace during the day--and honestly, I had moments of Wow, I can totally handle this. It was good. I can do this mom of two thing. I think.

I just won't tell you about the part where both my children were screaming/whining/crying during dinner, at the same time, and the chaos that ensued. No, I won't tell you that part. I will just say that I'm so glad they saved the chaos for when daddy got home. :)

One day at a time...

photo credit: taken by my sister-in-law, Lyryn

33 comments:

  1. Ha ha dinner time with a toddler and infant. I remember it well. I am actually posting about it this week it was so bad. Hang in there and great job on your first day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can do this! Your first day alone sounds like a HUGE success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are TOTALLY rocking this! And that picture, nothing short of pure gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture is gorgeous and it sound like you are rocking the Mama gig over there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Katie! You can do it girl. My hubby got 2 weeks off for paternity leave. I couldn't have done it without him. Probably dealing with postpartum depression kept me in my pajamas a lot longer than I would have liked. Here we are almost 2 years later and both of my children are still alive and thriving. Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, Katie, Declan is so tiny! And so darn cute. You're so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you get a standing ovation from me! Excellent job... I hope Day 2 goes just as smoothly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha someone just calle Lucy Declan! Whoops!!!

    Keep on keepin' on :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look gorgeous. And I am so happy you found some balance. Even if it was for one day, its glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I felt defeated after only a few hours with ONE child, so the fact that you not only survived an entire day alone with two, but rocked it like a boss pretty much makes you supermom in my eyes!

    Hope today goes just as well!

    PS That picture is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HOORAY FOR A GOOD FIRST DAY!!!! I know you would do a great job! I love Lucy's little head of hair. LOVE IT!!!! Hoping today is just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to hear that day one went so good :)

    & that picture? adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, I've got to pick your brain about naptime--does Eme go to sleep on her own when you lay her down to nap, or do you rock her? Did you wait until Lucy was napping to get her down? Lay it out for me mama, because this is the one area that I feel like just is NOT going to happen for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear the first day went well. It will get easier. Hoping that day 2 goes just as good

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm completely jealous of the dinners you are getting. I did have one friend that brought dinner one time after I had Luke. But that was it. And since I do this often for friends that have babies I was like "what tha?" But that's ok. We survived! So enjoy your yummy meals!

    And I'm glad your first day went so well. There will be easy days and crazy days but God will equip you for all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are totally making it sound easy!!! Your doing great!!! And that picture is too cute for words!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are totally making it sound easy!!! Your doing great!!! And that picture is too cute for words!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are totally making it sound easy!!! Your doing great!!! And that picture is too cute for words!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job! I have to tell you...I found going from 1 to 2 kids much harder than zero to 1--and you never expect that b/c you think, "I've done this before!" You're doing great...enjoy these days and never apologize for movies, quiet time, etc--you've got a lot going on there!! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay, Momma! :) it feels great to celebrate each tiny step and focus on the positive in it all. I was totally nervous my first ay all by myself too, but we all manage to adjust! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really Like this post!! is funny, and you keep it real!!

    And take a shower, wow big successes

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like your Day One was a huge accomplishment. Keep your head up, sounds like you are doing amazingly well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Huge successes, not little ones! That is amazing, and you look fantastic while doing it all!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope that picture wasn't from today or you are going to make me vomit. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Not only do you rock, you made day one sound like "SUPERWOMAN!" Congrats. Remember, the little things and successes...that's life when we started adding more little feet to the fam = )

    Irish

    ReplyDelete
  26. You go momma! I'm glad you're blogging this stuff so I'll know ahead of time what life is like with two, because lets be honest, I'm a little freaked out at the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look amazing and you ARE amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You put my first day home alone with 2 to shame! You go girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am impressed. Sounds like a great day with your two girls at home!

    ReplyDelete