Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

30th Birthday Gift

I posted a photo of this gift on instagram the other day, and a few people asked me to share more about it, so here I am.

I'd been scouring the interwebs to find a great gift idea for my sister's 30th for a few weeks now. I was having a hard time coming up with something completely original. I'm normally pretty good at that, but let's be honest--how often are ideas original in the age of Pinterest anyway? But, I digress.

My mom-brain was tapped out. So, I turned to Pinterest where I found a ca-ute idea that originated from this blog, here which had a basket full of "essentials" for the Young at Heart. Basically? Fun "childhood"-inspired boxes, filled with goodies, to help make you feel young again. Cute, huh? I thought so, too.

I wish this was my idea, but alas, I'm all about giving credit where credit is due, there's nothing more irritating than not being properly cited/sourced as inspiration---and Girl Grows Up gets all of it here. Thank you, miss. Thank you. (She has no idea who I am, by the way.)

ANYWAY.

So here it is. I'll break it down for you, don't worry.


I definitely changed it to make it my own a bit, from the original idea. I created all the "tags" and labels on ipiccy.com.

On the outside of the box it reads:

Essentials for the Young at Heart
Susan, now that you're 30 you may be wondering where the years went. Well, this "emergency" kit is filled with items to keep you young at heart.


The Boxes:
(The idea is that these are labeled with fun, childhood 'things', if that isn't clear :))


"Give Yourself a Makeover": In this box I filled it with Essie nail polishes, eyeshadow, lipstick and a gift certificate to her favorite nail salon. 

"Take a Bubble Bath": Filled with a candle, bath salts, and a loofa sponge. 

"Have a Slumber Party": I stuffed a cute pair of polka dot pj's in that box, if you can believe it ;)

"Play Dress-Up": New jewelry! This box had a few pairs of new earrings and bracelets.

"When all else fails, have a drink": Self explanatory--a bottle of wine, her favorite champagne, a skinnygirl cocktail, hey, a six pack would work :) You get the idea.

***

I found all the adorable little boxes at the dollar spot, along with the bigger container, too. Add some tissue paper, a sweet card, and fill it with all your friend/sister/wife etc's favorite things and it's a pretty fun, thoughtful gift. 

Thanks again for the gist of this idea, Pinterest & Girl Grows Up.



22 comments:

  1. What a great idea! When I turn 30, think you can do this for me, too? ;) Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so cute! I might steal this for someone soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so so cute!
    Fyi, my 30th is next month. Just in case you feel like making another one. lol. jk! I'm sure Susan LOVED it. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! What a fantastic idea. I think I'll be bookmarking this post for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very cute! I'm sure she loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hooray!!! it was awesome! i love presents so having a bunch of things to open was so great! thanks again kater!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a lovely idea and looks so pretty! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog to let me know you made your own version of this gift! I love it! I am positive your sister did, too.

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sooooooooo cute..i just steal this idea and will use for the design of Gift Card envelopes when i need it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So so cute! I might steal this for someone soon.This is such a lovely idea and looks so pretty!Thank you share it.
    Discount card printing

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is soooooo lovely!
    I like you gift ideas for 30th birthday... Thanks for sharing

    Cheers xxx
    Lyn @ 30th birthday ideas

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a fun idea!!! I am totally copying this for my girl friends hitting the big 30!!!

    ReplyDelete