Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

...and here comes the Rah!Rah!

A few years ago I used to be an eye-roller at All Things Weightloss.

My dad and brother were going through a phase where they were losing all sorts of weight. They are men, and so they basically made a small diet change and BAM! weight dropped off them. Just melted off really (stinkin' men). But anyway.

They started feeling good about themselves (as they should!), with the change, and I started to notice that the weight/exercise chatter crept into almost all our conversations, all!the!time! It was irritating back then. Super irritating. Why? Because I was overweight.

That's the truth.

I hated hearing anyone talk about weight loss, working out, getting fit, blah blah freaking blah when I was sitting on my butt doing nothing, and feeling unhappy about myself. I guess I felt some sort of inner turmoil. A conviction really. That ultimately I was the problem. I can only be mad at one person here, and that was myself (at the time). But yet I'd roll my eyes and be all, Do we REALLY have to hear about how you lost another 5lbs this week? 

Ultimately. Now? I can completely and utterly see that I was the one with the problem. Not them. They were proud of their accomplishments, and how far they'd come--and yet, in my own unhappiness with how I looked, I had a hard time being happy for them. Twisted, really. But the truth.

So now...I mean, it's different. I'm the one being rah-rah-get-it-gurlll about running, and fitness and weight loss.

And ultimately. I GET IT. I get it now. I'm proud of the weight I lost last year. I'm proud that I did it the old fashion way, good eating and exercise. I am. And I'm proud I'm going to do it again, and am working at it now. I'm proud that I'm running again. And I'm gonna post pictures on instagram after I just finished a good run because hell yea. And I know that's going to annoy people, and that's okay.

Because I get it. I really do. I've been there. I've been the annoyed party. I've been the eye-roller. I've been the, ohmygosh are you really talking about weight loss again thinker.

The thing is this. I know that to some people? It's motivating and not annoying. I admit that I'm more than motivated by social media when it comes to fitness--it's true. When I see one of my friends on a weight loss journey post a picture that she just ran X amount of miles, and I'm feeling like sitting on the couch at naptime? Suddenly I'm all, Dang if she did it, I should, too.

I can't tell you how many times I've been pushed on to keep working out. Ready to stop running and a Nike+ "cheer" comes through my headphones via facebook, and I'm all, Okay push it, go further, Katie, you got this.

Now that I've walked one weight loss & fitness journey, and am currently smack dab in the middle of another? I know how much it means to be encouraged. And I feel awful that selfishly I wasn't able to 'support' my brother and dad back then. Ultimately, it was my own issues coming out. But now? Now I know. I know how much it means to be cheered on, encouraged, how far a you've got this girl goes, and what-not.

I will always support my friends in this way. Always.

Just a few hours ago I got my butt on the treadmill and had intentions of running about 22 minutes. In fact, I didn't even plug a distance in because I didn't want to be 'locked in' in case I wanted out, man. Because my head was telling me, you hate running! Don't do this.

At about 1.75 miles in I knew I was getting close to stopping. A little over 2 miles was my 'goal' today, and I couldn't wait to stop. But for some reason, I just kept thing, how freaking awesome would it be if I JUST KEPT GOING and did a 5K today? I even thought about how fun it would be to get to say, YAY! First 5K post Lucy! and all that. I started thinking about the fact my baby hasn't hit her 2 month birthday yet, and ohmygosh, I could be back to 5K status before then....was it possible?

And then I got in the zone. And just.kept.going. And when I wanted to stop? I told myself how awesome I was. Yep, I totally did. Normally I have negative self talk, it's bad. But today? Nope. And dang-it, I ran that 5K and I did it strong.

I kept thinking of this sign I saw on facebook this week.

(source)
I can. and I will. I did.
So I will rah-rah all the live-long day, cheer you on, and encourage anyone I know in this journey. Because it takes work and dedication, and dang it, you deserve it. We deserve it. The end.

28 comments:

  1. get it mama!!! congrats on running 3.1 miles, you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go girl!!! That is amazing!! Makes me cannot wait to have this baby and get in shape! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Katie! You totally rock it. I can't believe you can already finish a 5k again. That is just too awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are most definitely an inspiration! 5k already is awesome! I really want to try the C25K app. I just have to get my butt in gear and stop making excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. get it girl, get it get it girl! you are a rock star and totally an inspiration to me and so many others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a brandy new follower (as in I started following yesterday) and I already L-O-V-E your posts so much! This is exactly what i needed to read today! Congratulations on yur 5K! You should be super proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you and this tons. I want to write a longer comment when I'm on my computer. But seriously. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay you! I know what you mean about men losing weight so quick (annoying) but I GET it now. Now I can celebrate with others who have lost weight, because I've done it too. I know how it feels and I know how they feel. And the whole social media support thing? You and your sister are the reason I joined WW. Honestly. I can't tell you how many times I've watched the vlogs y'all did a while back. You(and S!)are truly an inspiration. Keep up the GREAT! work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome job! Get that pre-baby body back girl!! So proud of it! It's been great reading through your fitness transformation this past year! You are one hot mama! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl, you inspire me! Keep on sharing. You're so right about why it annoys people, it annoyed me when I wasn't trying because of that conviction that I should be trying! Way to go. You and your sis really inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go Katie!! Next step: 10K!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um... AMEN!! I can totally relate to this 100%! Congrats on your first post-Lcy 5K! You rock it girl, and you totally inspire me to get to that level again. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. excellent job!!!! You keep posting this stuff and we'll keep encouraging you =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. AWESOME!!!!!!! There is sooooo much mind control in running I have decided. At least for me! So, what is this Nike+? Do you have to have the Nike shoes that you put a chip in it? I could be totally off base on that one.. Ha! I ask because it would definitely motivate me to hear some kind of cheer from people commenting on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  15. First of all, that is awesome.

    Secondly, I need to know more about the Nike thing. Preferably before Tuesday when I do my first run.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your first of many 5k's post Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So awesome, Katie!! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing post! I know it will inspire so many! And way to go picking back up where you left off. The world is your oyster!

    ReplyDelete
  19. get it girl!! and what's the nike thing? i've been using mapmyrun which might be similar but i don't know how liking and all that works..

    ReplyDelete
  20. You kick butt! You are definitely my motivation. I jogged for five minutes today in my 45 minute walk and felt so awesome afterwards. I'm hoping a 5K is in my near future!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't tell you how badly I needed to read this. God sends us little blessing right in the middle of lots of confusion and struggles. Thank you, my dear. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. DAMN STRAIGHT! You rah-rah all you want, girl. So proud of you for pushing yourself to that 5k...because that's gonna make pushing yourself to that 10k and that half marathon even EASIER :) I think the only people who roll their eyes are the jealous ones who want your results w/o your effort :)

    And? My favorite treadmill motivator is "Don't quit when you're tired, quit when you're DONE."

    ReplyDelete
  23. Way to go girl! That's awesome!!!!! Rah rah for you!!!!! HOORAY!!!!!!!

    I need you to rah-rah me because I can't seem to find one spare minute to do it! I WANT TO, but the day is so full!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the post! Congrats on your first 5k since Lucy :) all your talks about weight loss and exercise have only motivated me more to keep going ;) So don't stop!

    You are such an inspiration!! :)

    I think this is the person who made the motivational "poster" http://getfitnessmotivated.tumblr.com/post/23498802722/your-biggest-challenge-isnt-someone-else-its

    She usually sites her sources and this one had no sources, so I think it is hers...

    You are amazing Katie! :) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You SHOULD celebrate your weight loss/ exercise goals!! Post as many pics as you want!! I blow up IG with my exercise pics...I had a baby in February after gaining 50lbs...and have since lost 60lbs the old fashioned way!!

    You look fabulous!! Be proud of what you have accomplished then & now! Congrats on completing your 1st 5k post-baby ;)

    ReplyDelete