Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

If you really knew me.

If you really knew me-

You'd know that I may come off shy at first in large groups, but I'm anything but shy. Especially with family.

You'd know that when I walk down the steps in the morning and see my living room straightened, pillows neat on the couch, blankets folded, even though it will look a wreck in 5 minutes? It makes me feel sane in that moment.

You'd know that I have only a handful of friends, who are each from different circles of life. So large group friend gatherings isn't really a thing for me, and I tend to hang out with them one on one. I'm okay with this.

You'd know I'd choose to hang out with my family any day of the week. Yes, I like them. No, love them. You already know the relationship I have with my sister, and my momma is the best, most supportive help to me. It truly means the world to me to have them.

You'd know I'm generally a home-body, but I also can itch to get out and about like no other.

You'd know I don't really like long day trips, they stress me out more than they should. I hate having to pack lunches and bags and make sure we have everything. I'd much prefer just a few hours and back home type of thing.

You'd know I feel proud of the nursing relationship I have had with both my kids (so far), but I'm still a very shy nurse-in-public'er.

You'd know that while I love me a snuggly baby, I also can't wait some days to just put her down, asleep somewhere, so I can have both hands free to do stuff.

You'd know that coffee only became my bff when I had kids. Before that? It was a pretty non-existent presence in my life.

You'd know that I tell my husband daily that we are done having kids, but in my heart I know that's not true at all.

You'd know that adult stuff...like banking, insurance, bills, etc....confuse the heck out of me. I don't like any of it, and I do what I can to understand best, and then I leave the rest up to my husband.

You'd know that the only reason I miss teaching is because of how cool some of my coworkers were and the camaraderie, but other than that? Meh. Okay, I miss the hugs of some of my favorite students, but that's about it.

You'd know that I really, truly do not like to cook, bake, clean (other than 'straighten'), and organizing/purging/etc sends chills up my spine. However? When I do any of the above, I feel like a million bucks afterwards.

You'd know that I find being in a car with two screaming babies (aka: my own children) to be complete and utter torture. It literally is one of the worst feelings, ever, like the walls of my car are caving in on me (dramatic much?). When everyone is peaceful? It is complete bliss.

You'd know how much I adore taking photos, but I like the post-processing best. Sorting through photos, picking my favorites, editing them, and posting them. That part I love.

You'd know that writing here is therapeutic to my soul, but yet I question every single day what I write, who reads this, will I be judged, and should I just shut this ship down because it's the internet. And my kids faces are on here. And am I doing them wrong. And, and, and. It's so hard to know what's right.

You'd know that my diaper bag is a complete and utter wreck.

That I loathe taking a shower simply because the getting ready 'after' part is so long and annoying.

That I don't ever get my hair done or spend money on luxuries like that (only box-dye, man), but I'll treat myself to a pedicure here and there.

That I'm perfectly okay with owning clothes mainly from Target and discount stores like Ross, TJ Maxx and Marshalls, and don't need anything name brand.

That buying shoes for myself is the last thing in the world I want to spend money on. I hate shoe shopping. I hate breaking in shoes. I hate shoes in general. I promise I'm still a girl.

That I crave a good, stay-at-home-morning like the best of 'em, but by afternoon I am wishing for sunshine.

***

43 comments:

  1. I'm the same way with friends, a handful of them to go around but all from different walks of life. And usually time is usually spent one one one. Glad to know I'm not the only girl like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh today I am craving those stay at home mornings and thankfully its raining so we are getting things done. I love it and hate it all at the same time. Once the house looks like a cleaning lady's been here I'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "That I loathe taking a shower simply because the getting ready 'after' part is so long and annoying."

    TRUE. So true for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are SO much alike. I'm pretty much the same on all of these. Now I want to write my own "If you really knew me" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a former teacher too - been home now going on my second year. I miss my fabulous co-workers, but not the job.

    I loved this post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've sure got a lot in common, you and I. The shower thing. The coffee thing. The friend thing. The homebody thing. I love the internet because I meet people like me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "That I loathe taking a shower simply because the getting ready 'after' part is so long and annoying."

    I hate blow drying my hair after a shower, but it looks better that way. Still, sometimes I just put it up.

    I agree with on not caring about name brands. Love me some Target and Kohl's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We totally need to get into the habit of straightening up the living room before bed again. 'Cause you're totally right...it makes a huge difference in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog. I can relate on so many levels of this post. Love reading!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. We're a lot alike. Loved reading these. Now I want to do one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd be so sad if you shut down shop, I adore reading you especially now that I have my own squishy babe and I can relate on more levels. I feel we have tons in common - I completely understand the teaching part but sadly I am still at it. I only wish I had your knack for image processing and editing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please, don't shut your blog down! I love reading it, in fact, it's my favorite! I feel like I can relate to you and I have children around the same ages(give or take 6 months)! Your writing makes me feel like I belong...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I felt like I was reading my own list with many of these. Specifically the staying at home over going out, but when itching to go out? Let's go, hurry up, I'm not messing around. :) Ethan just whining in the car for 5 minutes on our way back from vacation (by whining, I mean hysterically crying out of NOWHERE) had Jarrod and I so tensed up, like, GET ME OUT OF HERE. The shower thing? Yep. Exactly. And of course...the editing and sifting through photos is always the best part. :) Coming home from a session, I always feel like it's Christmas morning. No exaggeration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wondered over here from Analyze This. I seriously felt like I could've written a lot of this myself. I hate to clean! I get overwhelmed thinking about organizing. As soon as I get to an actual computer, you will have a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this post! Its amazing how certain posts really make me want to follow a blog even if I have read a bazillion of the blogs other posts. New Follower...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can we be friends? LOL,I feel like you just described me. Being at home, in my Target clothes, relaxing with my family makes me feel like a million bucks. I think you're awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just found this blog (HI! :)) and I don't know where it's been all of my life! I've locked myself in my bathroom for the past 10 minutes (from my 3 little girls, 4yrs and younger) and have been reading some of your posts.. I am ob-sessed already! You speak my language and all of these details of who you are, are freakishly similar to myself! Looking forward to following your awesome blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE the new look!!

    Also, I dig a good stay at home morning, but I love my sunny afternoons just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I swear God made us from the same cloth. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love shoes, moslty because that always fit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have to say that we have a lot in common! Especially the shy in large groups (especially around people I don't know). Also, the whole cooking, cleaning, baking is not my bag either. I also, could really care less about shoes, and I'll you do you one better and say that I'm not that "into" jewelry or makeup, either...I swear I'm a girl too! And I do love a mani/pedi any day!!! The relationships that I made teaching are the main thing I miss, right up there with sharing my love of reading and writing. I also have a small group of friends from different areas in my life, and that's the way that I like it!
    Andplusalso, I love your new blog header and accents, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I already knew quite a few of these things about you. Because you write on here from your heart and about the "real" you and so we know you pretty well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just became your 1500th follower! I feel special! :) Just came across your blog today. I had to laugh that you have to straighten your living room, and fix the pillows! I do the SAME thing, even though my kiddos terroize very soon after! Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You just described me perfectly!!!! I always think its funny when I have alot of things in common with someone I have never "met".

    I like to shower (mostly because that's my me time and I have an oily scalp). But I so loathe the getting ready part. I swear if I didn't have to leave my house and go to a job, I would never touch my hair dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Did you know coffee can affect your breast milk? Caffeine unfortunately makes it into our milk. With Shiloh I never noticed that it effected his sleep. But with Tristan it always did. Some days it was worth the cup or three, other days I regretted it and some days I managed to abstain and keep my sanity. A thought for Lucy and her desire to always sleep with you. I'm fretting about #3 because I swear I drink more coffee now than ever. I'm hoping black tea is strong enough but not so strong it carries over.... Tristan is still a poor sleeper so it might not have even been the coffee and purely incidental.

    ReplyDelete
  26. And Im glad you blog. You are an engaging writer and excellent photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! I can relate to a lot of what you said!

    *I too could care less about labels.
    *I don't like cooking that much either, mostly because I am not good at it.
    * I couldn't tell you the last time I actually spent money on myself for a haircut or pedicure or anything.

    I love how honest you are with your readers, and I may have to post my own version of this!

    Tiffani
    http://thoughtsfromtiffani.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love waking up to a clean living room/ kitchen. When I see it in chaos it starts my day off crappy.

    I may have a light problem with name brand...I blame my time living in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You and I have a lot in common. I'm a homebody for sure, but I definitely get those "get me outta here" urges. I'm totally not domestic. I married a man who could cook so I wouldn't have to. Oh and whenever Phoebe gets upset in the car I have a panic attack. I've pulled over on the side of the road a few times so I could go hug or nurse her.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your new blog design!!! Sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yep, I'm totally a shy-in-large-groups, home-body-sometimes-itching-to-get-out, after-shower-process-loathing, anti-hair-salon, mani/pedi-here-&-there, discount-store-shoppin' kinda gal myself :) Oh, and don't worry. I often wonder why the heck I blog too. It happens to the best of us!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love to shower but every day dread that I have to spend 20 minutes blow drying my hair. I wish I could hire a hair dresser to do it for me every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often said if I ever struck it rich I would hire a hairdresser (for every morning), cook, maid...in that order!!

      Delete
  33. I too only took on coffee since my baby came. I also dread the getting ready part after a shower!! Ugh, you just reminded me that I'm out of creamer for my morning cup!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love your heart & how honest you are!

    ReplyDelete
  35. you should move to sc and come be my insta-bff. cause that's not a weird request. ;) except that i've already invited myself to be adopted by your awesome family so it wouldn't be smart to move away from them. so us three shall move up there. k? k.

    all that to say, love this post. i could have written so many of these.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love love love this! Maybe the reason I've always liked you so much is because you're just like me? hahaha kidding! This was fun though. I want to do a post like it. Do you mind?

    ReplyDelete
  37. haha hubs tells me daily we are done with kids...and i secretly hope his vasectomy didn't work haha
    but then i would have some explaining to do huh!!! but then again 6 is enough huh!

    ReplyDelete
  38. We have so so much in common!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh girl, your blog looks clean and crisp... love it :)

    neat and tidy are my BFF too and screaming car kids I can not handle.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Of course, I could probably comment on every single one of these - but .. the shoes? ME TOO. I hate shoe shopping .. but boots? That's different. I have WAY too may boots). Way too many. But all summer it's my birks or flipflops. I have one pair of black flats and a few brown pairs (Only one I actually wear). Then I bring out the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Of course, I could probably comment on every single one of these - but .. the shoes? ME TOO. I hate shoe shopping .. but boots? That's different. I have WAY too may boots). Way too many. But all summer it's my birks or flipflops. I have one pair of black flats and a few brown pairs (Only one I actually wear). Then I bring out the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I agree with the photography thing! Love editing. And shoe shopping? Torture. Thank goodness I live in TX and can wear flip flops year round.

    ReplyDelete