Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

a valuable lesson on a Monday

I know it's only Tuesday---but I'm already having one of those weeks. The ones where on Sunday night you're dreading it a bit because you just know how much is going on, how much is expected of you, how much you cannot.forget.for.the.love so you must write it all down, you, the girl who never writes stuff down. 

I honestly said a little prayer to God to please, despite The Busy, give me moments...moments with my girls that will feel special, slow down time a little, because there's nothing I regret more than not enjoying moments. 

Yesterday I was all caught up in running here to there, and everywhere. I felt like I was in a constant state of go go go, drop kids off, go to work, run there, pick kids up, organize someone to be home by X time so we could be somewhere by X time, meet somebody by this time, go here, there, everywhere, blah blah blah. It was exhausting. But that was my day. Ok, it's my entire week if I'm being honest. 

But yesterday afternoon, amidst the crazy, I had a doctors appointment for Lucy. Luckily Declan could manage to leave a bit early to be home with Em so I didn't have to deal with a rascally two year old at the doctors, too with my bum back*. 

As we were sitting in the waiting room I watched as a mother and her seemingly ill daughter, probably, I'd say, about a 2nd grader, come out of the room, obviously done with their appointment. They said goodbye to the nurse/receptionist and were all ready to head out the door. 

Except, the daughter stopped....saw the kids show that was playing on the big screen in the waiting room, and kind of zeroed in on it. Instead of hurrying her daughter along (which honestly...is probably what I would have done), I watched as the mother took notice that her daughter was obviously interested, and do you know what she did?  She sat down. The mom sat down. And patted the seat next to her for her daughter to sit, too, and watch the show.

All checked out of the doctors office, obviously ready to leave, keys in hand---but she took a few extra minutes to just slow down with her little girl. 

I heard her make a few little comments to her, all with a smile, "you know, baby, most people leave the doctors when they're done...not stay and hang out in the waiting room..." Me and the mother exchanged glances and I smiled at her. 

Honestly, that small little act? It spoke to me. Here I am, rushing, rushing, rushing through my day. Going here, there and everywhere, on a time schedule, go-go-go busy, and it was nice, so nice, really, to get this lesson in SLOWING DOWN.

That's exactly what I saw. I saw this mother take a second to slow down with her daughter and just enjoy a moment. To spare the few extra minutes and just sit beside her, heck, in the doctors waiting room, even. 

Sometimes you can't help when you have a busy week. I know I can't. I don't always control all those factors with all the hats we juggle---but I do know that I'm in control of slowing down. Savoring moments. Taking in an extra snuggle or cuddle on a rainy morning with my girls before the hustle and bustle of the day begins. Or heck, right smack in the middle of the hustle and bustle.

That lady? She taught me a lesson yesterday. 

***

*I'm having back issues like whoa on top of everything else. My lower back is basically pulled out and it's awful, especially lifting kids...gah! So I will take any and all prayers for a quick healing. :)

19 comments:

  1. Great post. I think all moms could use a slow down lesson, I sure could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet story. I'm very guilty of keeping things on schedule, hurrying around...never just relaxing and letting things "be" Thank you for the reminder of what is really important in life. I have back issues as well, so I feel for you! Hope you find some relief soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe that is so sweet! I, like you, would never think to sit down in the waiting room AFTER the appointment and watch TV. I'd be all "come on,we can watch that at home! We have to go!" But why? Most likely there's no good reason. So yeah, that is sweet. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great lesson! Sorry about your back, it must be so frustrating. I hope it feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny you posted this today, because I was going to write a little blurb about my own similar experience yesterday.

    I love how sometimes it's our kids that teach us to slow down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this reminder - in a culture of "INSTANT!" "FAST!" "NOW!", it is always nice to be reminded - in a good way- to slow it down.

    I go to a good chiropactor in Exton, she is wonderful, I've been seeing her for years, totally made the difference in my pregnancy too. Praying for some relief and healing for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful moment!! Perhaps that mom is reading this and will know what an impact she gave you, and the rest of us.

    I'm trying to slow down and enjoy the moments with my 7 and 2 year old because before I know it, they will become our memories. I'm not going to look back at these years and remember what things we made it to on time, but the fun we had!

    Hope you are on the mend quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww.. This reminds me of a short amazon film I saw years ago (don't remember the name)--but the guy kept having his day repeat itself and did not know how to stop it. He was on a go-go mood every single time the day restarted. Until the day everything changed... He noticed the little girl that was selling roses(that little girl was always there trying to sell him roses, but because he was so busy, he never noticed her) . But this time, he stopped, and smelled the roses! And everything went back to normal. The moral was to slow down, take time and enjoy (smell the roses) :)

    What a wonderful lesson! Thanks for sharing and definitely praying for your back to get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww, what a sweet little moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a wonderful thing to be reminded of. And you know, sometimes those are the things kids remember the most. The simple little acts...they say a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great lesson! I know there have been days where I try to rush through and hope for bedtime to hurry up and get here, but I too need to slow down and enjoy my baby girl. Great post. Also saying prayers for your back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I honestly try to tell myself often, when my 3 year old wants rocked to sleep (not really to full sleep, but just to humor her), that I need to do this, and not rush her to bed so I can check my facebook. B/c when she is 7, or 17, I bet she won't be asking me and I'll be sad I missed that moment. That, or she'll be too big and I won't be able to pick her up anymore. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so tough to remember sometimes. We've got a busy weekly schedule too and it sucks when you can't just relax and let go a little. But that's what the hustle and bustle does to us. I'm glad you had a moment where you realized it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, that's really sweet. I feel like a major case of the busy busies this week, with a bunch of major events and a trip home this weekend. But stopping to savor those moments? I need to take a lesson in that too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww this made me cry a little. My girlie just started daycare and I don't get near enough time with her any more, so most of it is rushed lately. Such a great lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this post--we could all use this reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. This is exactly what I needed to read this morning.

    Also, praying for healing for you. And quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh, sorry about your back! Hope it feels better ASAP!

    And yes, I could surely use some lessons in slowing down myself... :) I love that you witnessed that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This brought tears to my eyes. Right now I try to savor every moment I can with my son - I do a pretty good job. He gets all my attention and I love it. My house gets messy, I don't have time to clean it because between spending time with him and playing with him and doing the other things that HAS to be done.. I don't have the time for things like dusting shelves and watching tv. So glad you got exactly what you prayed for.

    ReplyDelete