Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Because, they're memories. Fun, flashy lights, and crappy prizes---but memories.

Funnel cake, corn dogs, toasted cheeseburgers, fried oreos and more--junk, junk, junk food galore. Cheapie stuffed animals, ugly prizes, rides that creak and look umpteen thousand years old. The fair. A good, ole' fashioned, street fair, in fact. That's where we spent our Saturday night as a little family of four.


We went on a complete whim. I mentioned it to Declan briefly and without hesitation he's all, sounds good, let's go. As soon as the girls were up, we packed them both up in the car, made the forty minute trip west, and started our little fair adventure.

I have to say, this time, with Em's age, it was definitely fun. She could enjoy a few little rides, and seeing her smile from ear to ear on them as a bystander (because I was on the sidelines with Lucy--Declan got to have all the fun) was way cute. She'd wave as the ride passed me and shout, "There's mommy, HIII MOM!" and I beamed a little with pride at my big girl.


I managed to perfect my Still Trying to Be a Documenter persona, while also playing mom, which I have to say is something I worried I'd lose a little with the addition of another kid. Just, honestly, how will I have hands to take as many photographs anymore? Sounds silly, maybe--but I realized that you just figure it out if it's important enough to you. And thankfully my husband doesn't mind too much when I'm all, hold my camera for a minute, oh, hey can you get my lens cap? okay, let me set the camera right here while I feed Lucy, oh, oh, make sure it doesn't fall--oh, babe, can you give me my camera back, quick...! He's good like that. He realizes my crazy antics and loves me anyway. He realizes it's important to me. Sometimes he'll even pick up the camera himself.


After we walked around, marveled at the weirdness of (some) fair people, made fun of the cheap prized stuffed animals, got a balloon "flower" for Emeline, rode a few crappy rides, watched my kid shove a hotdog down her face so fast so she could have "ice cream, ok, mom?" (which she never ended up getting, oops), and dodged stepping in a half eaten cheeseburger, it was time to pack up and head home.

Fairs are weird. They bring out an interesting crowd of people to say the least. But Saturday night, we were totally in that crowd, and we owned it.


On the drive home, amidst an overtired Lucy meltdown (she'd been an angel the entire night, poor kid), Declan and I couldn't help but smile and talk about the fun we had. It was like we had a little eavesdropper, because from the back seat we hear, "I wanna go back to the fair, dad!"...

and then he said "That was just the beginning, you've got lots of fun fair years ahead of you, baby girl..."

I couldn't help but burst a little in my heart at the thought of all these years of memory making still to come.



bring it on.

17 comments:

  1. I love fairs! We took KP to her first one about a month ago and she LOVED it! She actually cried when we started to head to the car so we turned around and went back for more fair fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always love the fair. Can't really eat the food anymore though, but it's a must do when it comes to town. Looks like you guys had a nice time! Great memories made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make me cry! How sweet is this. I love those photos...they're very vintage-y. Reminds me of Coney Island or something. And that makes me happy. Your precious little family is SO adorable. You are one lucky lady, Mrs Balla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your pictures! I do have to admit, I love the fair! It's always interesting..but fun! Glad you all enjoyed yourselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job documenting your trip!

    We had a fair come to our town and we took the kids to walk around. It was crazy crowded, so we didn't get to stay long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We went to the fair Saturday night too. Fairs just scream fall to me. And driving home, Sawyer (our 2 year old) said "I had fun at the carnival". It was precious! Love all your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post is perfect! I have been going to my community's fair/carnival/fiesta since I was born. I cannot take my future kids to it one day. Until that time comes, I still enjoy it every year just as if I was still a kid. Well, I kid that can hang out in the beer garden with the adults.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww, those little moments just melt my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you went, such sweet and fun and weird memories - ha!

    We are driving to TX later this month to hit up the state fair that we have missed since we moved. Can't Wait. Corny Dogs, here I come!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, I've never been to the fair! It looks like you guys had a blast, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fair was always something that my family kept as a special event. All year long we would collect spare change and put it in a jar we called the "Fair Jar". We would spend an entire day there every year. The state fair is still one of my most favorite places, crazy fair people, bad food and all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love fairs! They are so awkward and so fun at the same time! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i do love a good fair! i took e to one right before we left savannah but she was way too young. there is one coming here next week though and we are going to OWN it. i cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like fun!

    Also, your hair? Looks adorable!! Is it braided and curly or just curly?

    LOVE it all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO MUCH FUN! I am just counting the days until we take Jackson to the fair!

    ReplyDelete