Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Confessions. And help a sister out.

I ate what I wanted this week, and I lost weight. I've been feeling a bit irritated with tracking points again and having some weeks where I wasn't losing at all, so I gave myself last week 'off'. Now, don't get me wrong--I know this program inside and out, and know what I can and can't eat to stay within points. So it's not like I became a wild woman, although I did have my splurges. But I just decided I needed to chill out for a second. I didn't do this last time, at all, as in, cheat. Or take a break. BUT. I also didn't start near as early and my body is still a little confused and working out the postpartum kinks if you will. I think since I've done this once before I'm just a teeny tiny bit burnt out from it.

But surprise, surprise, I lost weight. So weird. But awesome. This means that since I started 'trying' to lose the baby weight, I've lost 9lbs. Yep. Only 9lbs. But I've also lost a total of 5.5", mainly in my waist and hips (as expected). I'm down 19 pounds total from the day I had Lucy, and it also means I have 12lbs to go until my pre-Lucy weight. 

****

Halloween...what? I'm skipping to Christmas. Sometimes when life is so dang busy and overwhelming you just have to put all your stupid (read: important) "to-do list" stuff aside and just do something totally brainless. Like, make a Christmas craft. On Sunday afternoon I did just that. (and can't share it yet...since it's part of a special blog contribution...but I want to! it's so cute!)

So, yep, I've made a christmas craft when neither of my kids have a costume nor have I even thought about it yet. And, YES I've noticed that all the stores are completely picked over by now. Because they're basically sold out of everything the same day Pumpkin Spice Latte's come out, let's be honest. Peeps go crazy over that Fall stuff. 

We're screwed.

****

My kid is totally annoyed with me. She does not want nor need me to ask her 9038240932 times a day to "tell mommy when you need to go potty", because she's proven me time and time again that she will tell me WHEN she needs to go. Or better yet, just go in there and do it herself (miss independent say what?) But yet I still ask. And now? When I ask her to let me know when she needs to go, she tells me "No. No I don't tell you". Because she's that annoyed with me. So, basically I need to stop asking her.

Also. She is successful 100% of the time when she has no panties on. Put the panties on? And dribble. dribble. dribble. I may have bought 17 new pairs of panties last night, and I *might* not be exaggerating, AT ALL. Usually she can catch it and finish the rest on the potty, but stillllll. (Yes I'm talking about pee on my blog, get over it). Or I just have to watch her like a hawk, and that's kind of hard with Lucy, too. What the heck do I do? I mean, it's not socially acceptable to go nude from the waist down--and, umm...preschool. So. HELP! I've read this is common and everything basically has said just.stick.with.it. But I need a success story. STAT. Someone give me a success story, for the love.

****

Happy Tuesday (how is it only Tuesday???)!

18 comments:

  1. So I've totally fallen pray to the eat what I want (within reason of course) and still lost that week. Sometimes when you're so strict, your body almost does better with a little break. Here's my advice though, don't get cocky like I did and think you can continue to be lax and still lose, cause when you do it 2 weeks in a row, you'll see the repurcussions. And for me, it wasn't pretty! Nine pounds might not seem like much, but you're doing great! Almost halfway there!

    As for the panties. I got nothing. I've heard this is a common problem when you go the naked route with PTing. Good news is, I don't know any adults who roam around bottomless because they never figured it out. LOL She will get it eventually!

    I just found out daycare won't even let Jamie wear underwear to school until he's had a week in diapers accident free. Ugh. The tantrum this morning was EPIC when I told him he couldn't wear his big boy underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to talk about food. But you are doing great!

    And I'm in the same boat with K and the panties/no panties thing. Although she doesn't even TELL me she needs to go. But I am SO done with diapers!! (Can we say 8.5 years?!?) Good Luck to us both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoe did the exact same thing in panties... commando, and we're at 100%, panties and we have about 1 or 2 accidents before she starts to catch it, a pull-up and you can just forget it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree...how is it ONLY tuesday!! ahhh! Already been one of those weeks!! I've fallen off the wagon big time on losing the weight and my youngest is 6 months!! I need a big kick to get moving, I'm just blah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear the potty training is going well. It will {hopefully} get better and better as the days go on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eli was the SAME way...trained nakey perfectly!! One day, I just put undies on him and didn't turn back. There was like 1 day where he didn't "get it" and peed in his undies a few times (never poop accident, though...guess he hates how that feels??)...after that, it stuck. Just go for it, mama!! Accidents SUCK though. Haven't ventured to nap yet..although he does wake up dry often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've let go of the MyFitnessPal for now...since I've been back on my weight loss kick, I've really tried not to get Nazi about it, because I feel like when I'm so strict and regimented with myself, it makes it worse in the long run because I get burnt out. And like you said--who am I kidding? I basically know how many calories are in almost anything I could eat from my house. So it makes it a little easier, I guess. I've lost 4 lbs this week and am feeling a lot better, simply just being active and cleaning up my diet. So I think I'll stick with this for a little while. We shall see.

    And I love that you've made a Christmas craft already--we're soul sisters like that. I've already planned where my Christmas tree will go in my new house, bought new lights for the tree, etc. Let's just jump to Christmas season, okay?

    And good luck with Eme. I've always heard girls catch on a lot quicker and really do it on their own, so just be patient. I clearly have NO experience with this, but I know you'll trust your awesome Mommy instincts and know what's best for her. You're a rockstart, Mrs Balla.

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just beginning my weight loss challenge and trying to watch what I eat. I'm finding that it's not easy at all. So no advice there.

    As for potty training, we just put undies on my son and he got the hang of it really quick. Now I'm not saying we didn't have accidents. We certainly did. But over the span of a couple months he was finally fully potty trained.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids don't have Halloween costumes either and yesterday I made Christmas hair bows. I'm so stressed they won't be cute for Halloween, but I'll make up for it come Christmas, right?

    E is doing awesome!! It took Kylie forever to fully potty train! I let her be naked at home and have a pull up when we went out. One day it all just clicked. And seriously, she hasn't had one accident since. Give it time. And lots of M&Ms (or whatever your reward of choice is) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Potty Training Advice:

    So, we had the not wanting to wear anything past the waist thing too. So I went out and bought a few dresses. This way she could go commando, but still look like a normal kid. We then just talked about wearing undies, then about wearing pants, etc. It is all a process that takes time. Give her a week or two at the whole commando thing and she will be wanting to wear undies/pants. As far as preschool goes, this is a parent call. You could put her in a pull-up, this way if she dribbles there it won't really matter or you send undies and several pairs of pants. We used pull-ups when we were in public for the first few weeks then progressed towards wearing undies. There is controversy with that though. As far as asking her, I learned that you just have to set her on the potty several times, the asking thing doesn't go far with independence...

    Be patient, she will excel and then regress. You will be so frustrated and so proud. It is a roller coaster! Pay attention to her patterns and try to use intuition to help you catch her before an accident. We still struggle sometimes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. J did the exact same thing and it felt like it lasted forever, but honestly it was definitely less than a month of the dribble dribble run to the toilet deal. She'll get the hang of it and you'll have a huge panty surplus soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Emma did the exact same thing. But unlike some of the other comments, it really only took less than a week of the naked days until she got it and was able to wear them. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience...especially because it sounds like she's really ready.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Does she love have Dora on? Like hates plain ones? You could try what Katie (marriage confessions) did. Her son loved wearing the characters but hated the plain old white ones. So she told him if he had an accident on one of the characters then he had to wear the plain ones. I think it kept him more alert to going potty when he needed to and not waiting because he was playing or whatever. (I'm pretty sure I have that straight, ask her for the Good details!) This worked well for them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lizzy sometimes does that too with the pee. OR, she'll wait so long that she'll make it to right in front of the toilet and then can't get her pants and undies down fast enough. It's a little maddening!

    Also, I went to Goodwill for Lizzy's costume. They had a brand new 4T cupcake costume from Old Navy for $5. And I was like SOLD. Because (a) I don't have to think about it anymore and (b) it's just normal pants on the bottom which I figured would make the going to the bathroom in a costume thing that much easier. So anyway, check out Goodwill/consignment shops!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I say keep with the undies! She will get it. BG still occasionally dribbles but it is getting rarer by the day. She's got this lady. It's going to take a few accidents. Be lucky you haven't fallen on your back in a puddle of pee yet ;) that sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How it only Wednesday? I thought it was Wednesday all day yesterday.

    Anyway, I am really proud that you only have 12 pounds to go to pre Lucy weight! Hollla. :) And don't worry too much about having off-days or splurging here and there-- obviously you know how to do those things and still lose weight by not going crazy!

    And whenever you want, you can send Christmas craft to my house in St. Louis. Let me know when you are ready for that address. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I heard somewhere that it takes your body 18 months to really recover from pregnancy and childbirth, so don't rush yourself too much. I know it sucks not to feel like yourself but burning yourself out trying too hard doesn't feel good either! I found just keeping the snacks and junk food to a minimum in the house helped a lot, and with still breastfeeding I did need a few extra calories....but I had gotten used to eating whatever I wanted in those early months post pregnancy. It is such a balancing act.

    As a daycare teacher I have to say that there are some children who get really confused by pull ups and diapers during potty training. It's like there are some "underwear" that are okay to pee in and others that aren't....they don't see the differences like we do, so my only advice is to be careful with depending on them too much as it could confuse Emeline. Accidents are normal...she will end up hating the feeling of wet underwear and pay more attention. It could be that the feeling of anything down there makes her feel protected and like she's wearing a diaper. Good luck! (But she's seriously already doing SO good!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The best advice I ever got on the potty training front was to let them control the situation. They will do it when they are ready and this was so very true for our experience.

    Mia went back and forth on her interest and letting her pick out her undies and the sticker chart and reward worked wonders for us.

    It will not happen in a week. I had to remind myself of this.

    Good luck - she'll get there!

    ReplyDelete