Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

dark clouds

Thank you so much to those of you who introduced yourself on my last post. It was so fun to read those comments and 'meet' you. I responded to every single person who had a way to be responded to (email written there or attached)--so thanks :)

***

I'm trying so hard to put into words what I really want to say this morning--but I'm struggling. The words just aren't coming out coherently--and aren't accurately expressing what's inside me today. I've deleted this sentence 300 times already. So bear with me, choppy waters ahead.

I'm sad. I woke up heavy and burden bearing for my friends and family around me that in the last few days have experienced awful and emotionally painful situations. My heart hurts, a lot, and sometimes I just don't know what to do with it. Sometimes I don't know how to be the best friend or support I can be, when I'm dying for them to know how much I care.

I just keep praying for Jesus to continue to carry them. Hold them. Comfort them and give them peace. Because I don't know what else to say or pray and it's times like this when you realize that all you have is the power to pray for someone. And I mean ALL in the all-encompassing-that's-all-that-really-matters-anyway way.

Because the truth is, nothing I can say or do can fix anything. I can be there. In heart. In mind. In encouraging text messages. I can send flowers. For some, I can physically be there. To talk to, vent to, cry to. But I still feel helpless. And that's because ultimately I am.

The only person who can carry my friends and family through these situations is Jesus. And I know He is.

I'm starting to realize that the real power in being there for those around me, who are hurting, going through hard situations--is to really lift them up, to really pray for them. We're so quick to say it, I'll pray for you, but you have to remember to do it. The real power is knowing that ultimately, you can't fix anything. You love them where they're at. In the sorrow. In the brokenness. In the anger. In the agony. And then you let God work.

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

On the outside, point blank--looking at situations, when friends and family are hurting--it seems so stormy. So hard to navigate. So hopeless. 

But in the end, I have to to trust that just as the verse above says, even the darkest, heaviest situations will be worked together for good.

And so I just keep praying.

***

17 comments:

  1. Prayer is the most powerful way to be there for someone. Us being there can bring temporary comfort but lifting someone up in prayer to Him is everlasting comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so sorry for whatever you all are going through. there are situations in life that we just cant figure out why they happen....and it truly sucks!
    knowing god is there, watching over you and your family and friends, being by your side.
    thoughts and prayers are with you

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to know there are heavy clouds in your life today. Praying God will lift them and your friends, family and yourself will feel his peace and love. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a heavy, burdened heart for a family member and I do not know what else to do but pray and find wisdom and peace in His Word.

    I've been trying to get in the habit of keeping a prayer list in my Notes app on my phone. Every time I think or say I will pray for someone, I put it on my list.

    And through any hurt and misery, we can experience healing and joy.

    Prayer for you and yours, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am new to this praying-all-the-time thing. But I have really made an effort to pray for those who are hurting in church. Sometimes it's the only thing that makes me feel better about hard situations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your sweet heart, Katie!!!!! Xoxoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear that there are bad things going on, but you're right, Jesus is there for us. I'm sure your love and prayers means more than you know. I WILL pray for you and those you love. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with some tough things right now.

    I meant to comment on your last post, but forgot. I have been reading your blog for a while, but don't really comment. I am currently expecting my 2nd child (like any minute, I was due yesterday) and have found your posts about having 2 kids and the transition very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so true. Thanks for the encouragement! Thank goodness God has it all in His hands. Also this is my second comment-yesterday was my first :) It's awesome to hear from a Christian Mom and to read about your family. My e-mail is: lia.thomassian13@houghton.edu if you want to say hi ever! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katie...forgot to leave my email yesterday!
    kalinock6@msn.com
    Kris from Maryland

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking of you and praying for this dark cloud to be lifted from your life ....

    On a lighter note, I "met" an Emeline Grace today. I've never heard that name before until I started reading your blog. And guess where I heard the name? None other than Target. The odds! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel you. I've been there. I'm doing that.
    If you have some spare moments to yourself I recommend a book by my pasto: When God Breaks Your Heart.
    Praising God for his mercies to us, in giving us His word, His Spirit, and the community of believers to walk through the rough parts of this life with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry Katie for whatever it is causing you such distress. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm so living under one of these dark clouds right now.. sigh. hope things turn around up your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. katie, i didn't leave a comment on your post over the weekend, BUT i have been silently following your blog for months! i found your blog through rachel at simplelittlejoys (one of my high school besties). your baby girls are just the cutest and i am dying over this super hero costume. such a great idea!! nice to "meet" you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Kate... This is very thoughtful... Love u

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete