Pages

Friday, October 19, 2012

Friday Letters

Dear Friday,

I'm glad you finally decided to show up, considering on Wednesday I thought it was Friday, then on Thursday I thought it was Friday again. That made for a really, really long week ya know?

Signed,
I really need a calendar

Dear Anyone Who thinks my life looks rainbows & butterflies all the time,

First of all, HAHAHA *gasping for breath* hahahahahahaha
Just half hour ago my dog pooped on the steps and the only reason I knew?  Was because my toddler was screaming "Oh nooo! Ennamine stepped in Mac poop! MOMMY! POOP ON MY FOOT, OH NO! HELP!!!!!!"  

Yea. Just pause and reflect on how awesome that was. Not. 

Meanwhile I'm nursing Lucy and trying to get the kid to sleep, so I have to rip my poor crying baby off the boob, put her in the crib (which she basically thinks is a torture device), and go, ahem, take care of that situation. 

Once Em was cleaned up and I'm scrubbing my bleepity-bleep carpets with resolve for the umpteenth time this week, she hears Lucy crying and starts BANGING on the nursery door, "LUCY, It's Ennamine! I said NO CRY-NING!!!!" 

So you can imagine how naptime went.

Signed,
You know you want my life  (ha.hahahahaha)

Dear Sleep Training/Scheduling/Stuff I'm awful at,

The *thought* of you sounded so good yesterday. I thought, I got this, I can put my baby on a schedule, easy peasy. When my husband questioned me, like, Kate, are you really sure? I was all, pshhh, yeaaaa. Momma needs sleep. 

The actual doing it part? Totally different story. Yea. I suck. We failed at it within the first 10 minutes. I basically cannot stand to hear my kids even whimper let alone cry for 5 minutes. My heart is literally pained and I'm done. I'm done. I've just come to the conclusion that I'll be a half-functioning human being for...umm, ever? And I don't even care. My heart cannot handle that. At all. Also, I'm gonna stop giving myself a hard time that my kid only wants to sleep in her swing for naps. Crib naps? HA. Ha. ha. She laughs in the face of crib naps.

Signed,
I'll sleep again when I'm dead

Dear Self prior to having children,

Why didn't you work out more before you had kids? Do you know how much easier it would have been to just get out there and run, without coordinating naptimes and feedings, or waking up at the butt-crack of dawn?

You really should have taken advantage of that time, sister. 

Signed,
Another workout ruined by my infant


24 comments:

  1. I know emeline stepping in dog poop was not supposed to be funny, but I can't quit laughing! Only because I am imagining that happening to my son (who would FLIP that his foot was dirty) and then hearing what she said. And the help part just pushed it over the edge for me. She is too cute. I hope you have a poop free, sleep and exercise full weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Katie. You're doing fine, hon. Two kids (one being a baby) is hard stuff sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um... My 5 month old is napping in his swing right now. Sometimes it's just easier. I'm so much more laid back things this time. I know he won't sleep,there forever so whatever. Right around 4 months I transitioned him to the crib for naps but he still occasionally sleeps in the swing.

    You know what? If it works don't try to fix it, you're busy enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your honesty girl! I'm dying laughing (not at you of course, but with you) thinking about the dog poop situation, oh dear. TGIF

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, like you, I couldn't handle CIO or sleep training. Tried, but just couldn't do it. My son started sleeping through the night at about 4 months old and never looked back. Do what feels right to YOU. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear. I can sympathize with the pet debacle, though thankfully mine was just of the pee variety. Poop is the worst.

    As for the crib. Eh. Don't sweat it too much. At least in the swing she will nap, beats no nap at all!

    TGIF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. KP only slept in her swing for at least four months, nights and naps. What of it?! Sleep is sleep and it is precious! So she slept there and I slept. So...yeah...you do waht works!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naps in the swing happened at our house for as long as our lady fit in the swing! Now that I babysit for my friend's 6 month old, I never get a full break since they nap at opposite times which is really tough some days... it will be better tomorrow though right?! It has to be ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't even been able to get consistent workouts in with ONE kid. I don't know how you ever mangage with 2!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got a dog poop/kid story that's worse for ya. Kiba pooped and Luke who was crawling at the time found it before me. And he's a baby- who puts everything in his mouth! Oh yeah! :::cringe::: I was like "what do you have Luke? Oh no no NO NO!" I can only laugh about it now because it's been a few months. Ew.

    I love when you quote Emeline- she totally makes me want a girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel for you on the whole sleeping in the crib thing. My 15 month old will nap in it. No problem. You put him in it at night and he screams bloody murder. It's awful. I have been reading a book called THe Sleep Lady's Good Night, Sleep Tight and it's been vey helpful to me. I can't stand to hear my son crying and her method is easier for me to handle. I know you don't have much time, but I thought I'd pass on the info. From one tired mama to another.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh.my.goodness. I hate those days. And yeah, my almost one year old is so anti-sleep its ridiculous. If she sleeps in the swing, let her sleep in the swing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It gets easier, I promise.

    I've got 2 girls (3 and 6) and I had so many of those moments...I won't tell you that it gets easy, it just gets easier...

    Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're hysterical. Love these.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh gosh, girl, I relate to alll of these. Except I don't have a toddler so I can only imagine what that's like! I am such a wuss when it comes to "Sleep training," I'm just a walking zombie most of the time. You're doing great and your girls are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gosh, girl, I relate to alll of these. Except I don't have a toddler so I can only imagine what that's like! I am such a wuss when it comes to "Sleep training," I'm just a walking zombie most of the time. You're doing great and your girls are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are great! Gotta love when the dog does that. I feel like I'm barely managing to take care of 2 kids. When the dog requires extra attention it's not pretty! And I totally can NOT stand to here mine cry either. They eventually slept through the night at 7 months and 6 months. Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Workout interruptions are the WORST. I have no idea how I'm going to fit that into the day with two, unless I wait until J is home (AKA I'll be so exhausted by then it won't happen).

    ReplyDelete
  19. My 15 month old makes it rough for me to run. I was doing the Couch to 5 K app and haven't run in almost 3 weeks because she's been a hand full, I work full time outside our home, and by the time I get home from work it's turning dark. So I'm probably going to do it in the morning before work around 6am when the time change hits.
    You'll figure it out, don't beat yourself up about it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't worry about not doing the scheule stuff! My heart can't handle any whimpering or crying either. They will eventually be good sleepers right? And then get teeth so oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this post! My 2.5 year old officially skipped his crib. We had his room all nice and painted and everything and he never slept in there. Went straight to the big boy room with his brother...and now they are both sleeping on the couch! Not sure why we painted the nursery for baby girl. Im sure she'll never sleep in there either. Wishful thinking. Thanks for keeping it real...its always good to know you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this post too! Also, I've totally been there w/ the dog poop ... only it was MY foot. Gross either way. :)
    I HATE CIO too ... but I do it. I hate hate hate to hear my baby cry. I have my husband take the monitor b/c he doesn't seem to mind. But it breaks my heart ... although when she does cry herself back to sleep, she wakes up in a happy mood and is good to go, since she had a 2 hour nap instead of a 30 minute one.
    One last thing. Even though you may not think your life is rainbows and butterflies ... you sure do capture all of those moments and share them w/ us. So it really is. & be happy about that!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My 5.5 month old only slept in his car seat. If I put him anywhere else he would wake up in less than 5 minutes every.single.time. So he slept in his car seat next to our bed, and down stairs in the living room. Finally, he got big enough at about 3 months that I could tell he needed to lay stretched out more and I decided to give the crib a go (again) and it worked and has ever since. It's only torturing the parents to push them before they're ready (like potty training). So until then do what works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. The first letter was HILARIOUS. And yet, I'm sure a sign of times to come.

    ReplyDelete