Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

I wanna be the woman she sees.

I want my daughters to grow up knowing their full potential in life. That it stems so much further than just the typical feminine ideals. That they are strong and capable and contributing members of society. That they have a desire to be healthy and take care of the body God gave them. That they seek for justice and equality. That they know just how amazing they truly are.

It took me far too long to realize the potential I had--or the potential my body had. That it's capable of all sorts of things, with a little bit of pushing and hard work, and determination---it can be done.

I also still fully believe there is so much more that I'm capable of, that my mind fully doesn't even believe right now--but one day it will.

One of my facebook friends shared this the other day and when I saw it? It just clicked something within me. Man, what a powerful statement. That Socrates knows what he's talkin' bout.


It resonated with me and not all that often something really does---so when it does? I felt the need to re-share it. So I did. 

As I was clicking that share button, Emeline came crawling up in my lap. 

She pointed at the picture, directly at that strong, amazing woman---and she said, "Mom, 'dats you!"

I was at first like ohmygoshcrazychild, that woman has arm muscles! and she's toned! I bet she doesn't have a single stretch mark! I'm not even sure I can hold my body up like that! psh! I mean, I didn't say those things, but they totally popped up into my head within seconds.

But as she kept pointing at the screen, repeating, "dat's mom! dat's you mom!", I was kind of taken aback. Like, whoa. Maybe my kid does see me like this? As a source of strength and beauty. Strong and powerful. Pushing her body. Trying to be healthy and on the right path. 

And I thought- dang, I want to be the kind of woman my daughter sees

I want to be that woman. 

So I remember that with every workout, with every healthy food choice, every time she sees me stand up for what I believe in, advocate, be strong and courageous---I'm that woman. 

I want to be the woman she sees.



23 comments:

  1. Beautiful post my friend. And it brought tears to my eyes. This is why we are mothers. Eme is very lucky to have such a strong and beautiful momma. Inside AND out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! This is so true, especially as a girl mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post- if I'm ever blessed with a daughter I hope I have revelations like this one- to be a good example for her. Your girls are blessed to have you as their momma and stories like your makes me want to get up and get active and I know my heart needs me to also- literally and figuratively. I feel like I'm still sorta stuck in my "before" and I need to chase my "after."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of being the person our children see and also for the woman my husband sees. He views me totally different than I do and I know Liam will see me in a completely different but also wonderful way. It's true--look at life through a child's eyes and it will look so much better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of being the person our children see and also for the woman my husband sees. He views me totally different than I do and I know Liam will see me in a completely different but also wonderful way. It's true--look at life through a child's eyes and it will look so much better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to keep yourself motivated! I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMEN! This is awesome! I'm really struggling right now with good food choices and exercise. I eat good...but the snacks...oh the snacks. Dang office has halloween candy out the wazoo. I have ZERO will power. And each day when I look in teh mirror I vow to not touch it...but I always slip up. And same goes for exercise, I want so bad to run. to have time to run. Outside. it's such a good feeling when you're FINISHED! But, the time. It's either the crack of dawn or dark thirty at night. So when?!?!?! Then if I can't exercise, I say, just eat the snickers. It's a crazy circle. Every day!

    But...It WILL change. I must be a good example. Even though I have a boy, I still want him to choose healthy over gross processed. I still want him to want to play outside over in front of the tv. Praise the Lord, he would LIVE outside- so at least we've got that going for us! ;)

    Great post Katie. SOrry to have written a novel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post...we are our own toughest critics, it would be a big (positive) wake up call to see ourselves through anothers eyes. I see you as strong and beautiful (as I'm sure many others do as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a powerful message and so true! About a month ago Jamie saw a picture of some actress on my phone and said "Look, it's mama!" I don't even remember who it was, but it was most certainly not someone who looked anything like me and I had to laugh.

    You are so right that we should be the women our children see and not cut ourselves down. You are strong and your girls are lucky to have a role model like you as their mama!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of my favorite posts that you've ever written. I want to print it out and frame it...you are amazing. And I love this so much--makes me want to work harder in every aspect of my life for my future little ones. Makes me cry! You are an inspiration, Katie! So blessed by you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing! I needed to hear that today especially with my little girl too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's beautifully written Katie. I have a boy, but I want him to make the right choices. I want to be a strong woman for my little man and my husband. I just love this. Thank your for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried to comment from my phone but of course it didn't work. I think. So if 2 comments show just take it as I think you are awesome. Cause I do. ANd this post is the awesomest. I keep trying to find motivation in myself to get my butt in gear and while that is necessary too, I have a little walking, talking sponge that I need to be the best role model for. Do I want her to remember me as a lump that sits on the couch, on my phone, eating gross (but at the time yummy) food? Or do I want her to remember the hours we spent outside, walking, running. I want her to see my confidence all the time.
    Thank you and for your words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh. Glad you posted this. I feel so convicted. Having turned 30 yesterday... and not having accomplished this (or really being in great shape since I was a kid..) this is such a motivator. There is no time like the present, right? I'm not getting any younger!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this.

    And also? How awesome for Eme and Lucy to grow up seeing that being active is just...life. It's not something crazy that mom does to get in shape for some event or vacation, or something that women have to do but hate...it's just normal, and a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love this!!!! though i dont have a kid yet....i love this thinking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh I love this. And I'm so right there with you as I just published a post similar after our church sermon yesterday. It's so crazy to think of how our daughters see us compared to how we see us. If only we were as kind to ourselves as they are. They think we are Wonder Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's beautiful. I love this post.

    ReplyDelete