Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

There's a Superhero in our midst....

Yesterday I needed a little sunshine. It was obvious I was feeling down and heavy about situations going on around me. But I needed to just keep on praying, and then find a little pick-me-up, something I could do with my girls.

So we packed up the crew (we meaning me) and went to the fabric/craft store. See, Emeline's cousin is having a Superhero themed party this weekend....and it said to wear your capes and masks...and here I am, a girl mom--and, umm...we have no capes and masks on hand. We have princess dresses and tiaras. Cape and masks just aren't on our radar at the moment.

That is the case no-longer, my friends.

See--I picked up a few supplies, knowing that I was totally capable to make a no-sew cape and mask. I'm crafty sometimes. I'm good at hodge-podging things together. And heck, my 2 1/2 year old isn't picky, she won't know if it ends up looking awful, anyway, right?

We put Lucy down for a nap and then my big girl & I crafted together. She supervised. She helped pick up scraps. She did what she could do without getting burned by the iron or the hot glue gun. But the girl could not stop talking about being a superhero. Suddenly girl-power took over her like nobodies bizznaz and it was amazing.



I wish I could tell you how I did this all---but see, I'm not a tutorial gal. Because I have no rhyme or reason when I start--I just go. And then adjust and trim and make it better (sometimes worse) as I go.

Basically---a yard of felt was enough (plenty leftover). Another glittery piece of felt for the "e". A hot glue gun. Iron on riff-raff glitter ribbon. And some ribbon to tie the whole thing on. I said it was easy.

The mask? I just started with a rectangular piece---put it up against her face and felt for her eyes, marked it out. Cut the eye holes and then just kept trimming to fit around her nose and face until it looked superhero chic. A little elastic that I had, glued on, with some felt backing? And voila.


Insta-superhero girl.


Girlfriend literally cried for "my superherooooo caaaaape" at naptime for a good 20 minutes. It's safe to say she's obsessed.

The first thing upon waking up she put it on, too and ran around the house saying things like, "I strong! I a superhero! I can fyyyy!!!!! (fly)" When Declan got home, he "flew" her around the house approximately 390820938x times. It was amazing.

Whoever said superheroes couldn't come in the form of a tiny 2.5 year old, blonde hair, blue-eyed girl with pink-sparkly-cape has another thing comin'.

***

Happy Wednesday!

49 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!! This is the cutest thing ever!! What a fun momma you are :) She looks adorable! OMG I totally wanna make this if I ever have a little girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It totally doesn't look like you just winged it either. Great job Katie, she's going to be so cute at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you Martha! I LOVE IT! Great job!!!!!!! FABULOUS!!!!!! SHe is too cute! And the cape and mask are just perfect!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun!!! It turned out super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. E's cape turned out perfect! I love the sparkly bow. She's going to be the prettiest super hero at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out great! I love the spakly E. If I ever need a cape for my girl for some reason, you've definitely inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How awesome is this! You rock and I wouldn't want to mess with Emeline while she is wearing this.. maybe a good way to keep the boys away from her in 15 years?!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh lordy...that glittery "E" with the bow? I DIE. As if Eme wasn't cute enough just in the cape and mask...that just sends it right over the edge into FREAKING CANNOT STAND THE CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pics are amazing. So cute. Good job, Momma. These are the moments they will remember. Keep this in mind when the days are hard and chaotic and ridiculous. THIS is what your girls will remember.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pics are amazing. So cute. Good job, Momma. These are the moments they will remember. Keep this in mind when the days are hard and chaotic and ridiculous. THIS is what your girls will remember.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is adorable, now she could be a superhero for halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE LOVE LOVE her cape, you did an amazing job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in love. She's the cutest super hero I've ever seen in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So adorable!! She can tell from the pictures she just loves it!! Great job on it also!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh. My. Goodness. She is ADORABLE! That costume is so much fun. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. amazing. knew you'd pull this one off with no problem... as usual! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. that's stinking awesome! We just had a superhero birthday party for our son, and made all (4) kids coming a cape and mask, by SEWING! And they didn't turn out nearly as cute as this! Way to go! Awesome halloween costume too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job! It looks awesome & Em totally rocks it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it. You did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is the cutest superhero cape I have ever seen! Love it! You did an awesome job :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is the most adorable thing!! So cute and I love her outfit too and the pictures - oh they are all priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that it has a collar. So freaking cute! Youre very talented. I dont think I could have done as good a job as you did. My lines would definitely not be straight and the eye holes on the mask would probably be uneven. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How cute is this! Good job whipping that up lady! Adorable! Glad you could find a little sunshine in your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. The whole princess thing is wonderful and all but I think this is a step up. It's got girl power written all over it. I bet she thinks you are a super hero mom.... watching you make that and all. You need a matching cape!!! Matching Halloween costumes? :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good god I love this!!! You can totally see her excitement in these pics!! Great job mama!

    ReplyDelete
  26. 2 year old girls are quite possibly the BEST superheros ever. Mine's hit this stage - she wants her superman shirts all the time... plans are in motion to make her an awesome supergirl costume... but I think my crafty skills might not be exactly up to snuff. Em's cape is great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Haha I love this! How precious is she? You did a great job. The biggest reward is seeing the smile on her face. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This might just be the cutest thing ever! You need a cape too for being Super Mom! 😃

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is so adorable! I love all the girly touches!

    ReplyDelete
  30. She loves it! That is so cute!!! You did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mom of the Year! I saw the before and after on instagram and I can't believe it was that easy-- it looks so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is too precious! I am totally picking up supplies to make Kate one next week!

    ReplyDelete
  33. ADORABLE! She looks so, so, so, cute! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. i absolutely could not love this more. she looks so proud!!! way to go mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. And you are SUPER MOM! Really! You make it look so easy! Where did you get the awesome silver bow for the cape?

    ReplyDelete
  36. So you have me inspired to make Mia a superhero costume because the cuteness of Eme in hers is contagious and I need it in my house.

    She'll be so excited! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  37. That is the cutest cape i have ever seen! LOVE IT. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. YOU are the super hero.

    Absolutely adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete