Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

hi random monday.

I appreciated all the stories and fellow dentist-anxiety-ridden folks who decided to join in my pity party last week. I had a few people, some of whom are dentists (hi!) and hygienists write me and I assured them it was nothing personal. Nor do I disrespect their career choice. It's just. My mouth. Is wide open. For so long. And the tools. And the drilling. And ohmygaw cue anxiety.

I swear it's not personal. I wish I loved it. I mean, it's a break from mom life for a few hours. I wonder if they could start adding simultaneous manicures to the 'menu'? That would surely brighten up a dentist trip for me, just saying.

Anyway.

Mornin'.

It's Monday. Also? Back to the dentist I go today. Yep. You can be thinking of me today, sending good dentist vibes, and also praying that I don't lash out in anxiety and fear in the chair at the poor guy. I was thinking last night...I wish I could do something while getting the work done. Play on my phone. Or watch a movie. Or heck, listen to music or something. Instead, you're forced to sit there and just watch, listen (oh.the.noises.), and feel each second slowly ticking by. It's kind of....inconvenient.

Crap. I'm talking about the dentist again.

In other news. This weekend Emeline turned TWO POINT FIVE! Half birthday! I now have a 2 1/2 year old. I could eat this age up with a spoon. It's really, really good about 95% of the time. Since I feel that way, I guess I'm doomed for age 3. But right now? I will enjoy age 2 1/2 because it's pretty darn good to us.


She's inquisitive. Hilarious. Sweet and charming. But you already know that.

***

I took a poll on Facebook the other day, literally, out of complete curiosity, asking couples with small children how often they try to get a "date" night. Like, a legit, leave-the-house, date. Doesn't mean it has to be fancy---just, alone, without kids. Even for an hour or two.

The answers were staggeringly different. They ranged from 2-4x a month (seriously, luckiest people ever), to maybe once a year. I realize answers vary based on a lot of things. Babysitters, mainly. If you have family close to you that are willing to watch your children. If it's in the budget, etc.

I was not, by any means, trying to passive-aggressively suggest people watch my kids. In fact, I feel guilty about people watching my children most the time. Okay, almost all the time. They're my responsibility. I worry a lot (not so much about Emeline anymore). But, I think I got 3 offers of people wanting to watch my kids after that---which is hilarious, and sweet. Seriously, that wasn't the purpose of that post AT ALL. But hey, kind of a nice result.

With that said, I am totally dying to get out alone with my husband. To dinner. Just us. For TOPS 2 hours (my boobs can't handle much more). We went out for the first time after Em was born when she was 6 weeks old. Lucy? Well, she's 3.5 months old and there's not been a date (without her) yet. So we are (over)due. I think we're gonna make it happen late this week sometime. I probably will look forward to those savory 2 hours until then. I love my kids, but I miss time with just my husband sometimes.

We've mastered the at-home date. Been there, done that. I just want someone to wait on me. Bring me food. And eat it in peace and quiet without the possibility of a kid waking up and needing to be held, that's all.

I want to gaze into my husbands eyes and....talk about our kids. Okay, not exactly--but the truth is that's what happens 75% of the time. (Don't lie, you know it happens to you.)

***

Okay, time to get this day rolling---and get this dentist thing over with. Hold me.

Happy Monday.

14 comments:

  1. Date nights are so so special! I'm so glad you guys are getting one this week! My MIL randomly/unexpectedly/happily took KP Saturday night for us and WHOA! did I need that! It's good to get away! I hope you guys enjoy your two hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You aren't the only one. I crave alone time too. Especially since I am the one that does the grocery shopping, cooking, kid entertaining, etc. I just want some ME time! Luckily I have been getting some of that once a month when I go to my doctor's appointment in St. Louis. Get a meal alone and maybe a quiet walk through Target. It is nice. Oh, and the quiet 4 hour car ride round trip. It's nice. Good luck at the dentist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will be thinking about you this morning! And hey, if you are desperate for a good dental experience, we have massage chairs and TVs in every room ;) just sayin just sayin. But you'll be FINE! And um, that poll totally inspired me to plan a date night sooner than later, for real. So thanks for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. After conquering your anxiety of the dentist not one, but TWO times within such a short span, I'd say you deserve that date!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck at the dentist!! My hubs and I have had 1 date night since our second son was born and he's 7.5 months and our date was this past saturday! lol. Before then, I don't even remember!! It's something I'm bad at, and need to make more of an effort to do that. My parents are the only ones who watch our kids, and they have a summer home....so all summer....we got nothin! no sitter, no date!! Hope you get to go on your date!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dentist my parents and sister go to does paraffin wax on your hands! Almost like a mani! Sadly, they do not take my insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you take an ipod or something and listen to that?
    This coming from the person who has has 2 wisdom teeth come in and has yet to go have any pulled. So scared...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, you can totally listen to music or if you are really talented watch a movie on your iPad. Most dentists I know welcome that! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny...your post is the 3rd one in the last 15 minutes that I've read about a date night being necessary...SOON. We have parents very close by, too, thankfully, but so rarely get us time alone. And when we do? It's about 2 hours, tops, and we're right back at it again. The last post I read, the blogger said she "misses" her husband. I was like...yep...I get it. Date nights FTW.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tim and I just went out Saturday night to celebrate our anniversary. We try to do it around once a month but it's hard sometimes. Thankfully his office moved closer so now we do lunch dates sometimes as well. It IS very important but much harder when you have wee little ones. I hope you get to go out for a couple of hours, just you 2 soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 2-3 is my most FAVORITE age :-) We do date nights every Wednesdays when our kids are at mid week church, when they were little though, it was rare. Enjoy your night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope the dentist went well! I love 2 1/2, too! (Now this past month had about killed me, but we seem to be getting back on track) they are just so curious and are learning all of these adult expressions that look so funny on their little baby faces! I obviously can't speak for your parents, but I'm going to bet they love keeping their grand babies! We have a plethora of babysitting options within my husbands large family, so we try to go out once a month. It definitely doesn't always happen, though. We always ask for gift cards to restaurants for Xmas that way we don't have to feel guilty about spending the money.best dates ever when you aren't paying!! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband and I just went on a date about 3 weeks ago ... I make an effort to try not to talk about the kids on a date (like, once every 4 months). I think I'm about 75% successful at that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Because we lived in a town with no family for so long, we didn't get many date nights. Now we live in a town with family right next door (gah) and we haven't had one since we moved here! We need to fix that. I need some adult time!

    Also, that picture of Emeline is GORGEOUS. She is such a pretty little girl!

    ReplyDelete