Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I'm sorry, not sorry. She's kind of awesome.

Lately I just cannot stop staring at my kid, thinking, how the heck is she so....old. So tall. So kid-like. Such a decent human being. So easy to have a conversation with. So fun to talk to. A pleasure to be around. So silly and unique and goofy with such an infectious joy.

She's two and a half. And so darn pretty, she kills me.

I know. It's so cliche to be all, my kid so cool! She's my favorite human being! But, dang it--I'm serious. If it was socially acceptable to have a toddler as a best friend, yep, I'd totally call dibs on her. She's great.

She's had her days of being such a little booger that I literally thought the day could not end fast enough. There's been times I've dropped her off to my parents in tears, begging for just an hour alone before I lost my sanity. It's happened. We have our days, our moments.

But right now? I want to revel in this good stuff. Because it comes and it goes with kids. Right now, though? It's a good spot. Two and a half is so good I could eat it with a spoon. It's so freakin' good. I love it.

Last night I was stressing out majorly. It was crunch time. I was trying to make dinner, put away all the groceries, and get us ready to head out the door to our weekly community group. Emeline was so insistant that, "I help you, mommy!"---and so I let her help. She listened to exactly what I needed her to put away, and where, and did it with a cheerful heart. She ran a pack of diapers, and a pack of pullups to the correct bedrooms. She took two packs of toilet paper to various bathrooms. Every time she came down (each one took a separate trip, those things are 'heavy' for a 2 year old), she'd proclaim, "I did it mommy! I put away the ______! I help you.

I thought, dang--this is awesome. I so need to bottle up this stage where she can help do things like this, because it's kind of amazing. And? It totally did help me.

She's like a contributing member of the household now.

Rock on.

Every time I hear her little voice sing songs in the back seat I totally grin from ear to ear. If Declan is beside me, we give each other the eyes and then bask in the sweetness that is toddler-singing-and-botching-the-words. There is nothing better.

When her sister cries, she says, "Oh Lucy, I'm so sorry. What's wrong Lucy? Feel better, sister." She's got a genuine, good heart. She loves so well.

Every time I see her little pantied butt I just can't believe how quick and painless that whole thing was. It was like a little blip on the radar. And it amazes me that every time I fear something in this whole parenting journey, she kind of just breezes right past it like, psshhhh no big deal mom, not sure what YOU were worried about, woman, I got this. And she does. And she did. I'm so proud of her.

And she may command me out of the room when she needs her privacy to do her business, but--when the deed is done, the first person she wants by her side is me. "Mom! mom! I DID IT! I'm SO PROUD OF YOU! I NEED A HIGH-FIVE!" Every.single.time. I will give high-fives until my hand breaks off. Because if that's what makes her happy? done.

She loves to get dressed and help me put together outfits. She loves to have me do her hair and she sits perfectly still while "Emeline get her hair done!" She requests her hair-do's and which bow or accessory to wear. And she loves her shoes. Everything about this makes me smile. Whenever she requests braids I die a little from the happiness. I always dreamed of the day I could do my daughters hair.

Right now, I love this. I love so much about this. I'm fully aware I could win Sappy Mom of the Year award. But I don't really care. It's possible that in a few days I'll be crying Whyyyyy didddd I have kidddsssssss (kidding.maybe.) But like I said, I want to bottle this up. This, here, now--good.

We still have our moments. But overall, there's just so much newness. So much good things to share with her. So much inquisitiveness. So much fun. So many sweet, unprompted hugs and love and hilarious things. So many new things about life that she teaches ME, too. Like slowing down and enjoying the little things.

Living life with this 2.5 year old little girl is kind of the best thing ever.

I just wanna save it & remember it forever.

21 comments:

  1. She is adorable and you're right, just about this age is so much fun! You truly do have to relish in the good days/moments/seconds because they certainly can be fleeting! Olivia just turned 2 and she's doing the "i help mommy" thing too, and you know what, she really does help me by putting things away like E does. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so pretty! Those eyes! I die. She sounds like my 4 year old. He has the sweetest heart and is always wanting you to be happy for him. I can't wait until my 18 month old is talking a little more and little bit more independent. We're in the "she's trying to talk but it sounds like jibberish and so she gets super frustrated stage". 18 months is awful. I need 2 1/2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is such a little sweetie & 2 1/2 IS an awesome age! 4 3/4- not so much. Kidding, well kinda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet post! Macey just turned 2 in October and she is so fun. I always like to read about Eme to see what I have to look forward to next! Oh and by the way...ADORABLE picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE it! I think you SHOULD win sappy mom of the year... but then I wish that everybody could. I kinda think that every person married/with children should be so deeply convinced that their husband/child{ren} are THE ABSOLUTE BEST on the face of the planet.

    I completely agree with you. Zoe is getting to 2 1/2 and every day is just getting better and better. She gives me a run for my money, don't get me wrong, but she's so freaking adorable when she's not driving me crazy {and even adorable when she IS driving me crazy}. It's great! Love this age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No I didn't cry when reading this... okay okay I did. Who's the sap now?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww so sweet. Thank you for reminding met yet again to slow down, relax, and enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg first off, i took a picture of my sister with a fuzzy hat on like this...she is 21. totally caught me off guard and i thought it was her LOL secondly, i 2.5 read 25! LOL lastly, Emeline seem like the coolest kiddo ever!!! what a sweetie she is in your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this age too, eat it up and enjoy every minute... the teenage years are coming heeheehee :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are still in the tough-two stage. This makes me remember how sweet L got around 2.5 and I cannot wait for G to swing back into cute-kid mode. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading stuff like this makes my uterus ache! Haha! I can't wait to be a Mommy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a sweet post. This is the type of post you need to read on those days where she's driving you crazy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is pretty much the sweetest post ever. She sounds like an amazing girl. These are all the things I look forward to SO much with my little one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think 2-5 are my favorite ages. They are still so, so, so innocent and full of wonder. Little things make them cackle with glee. Everything is new and wonderful.

    I know you aren't a Country fan, but you must listen to this song. I cry every. single. time. I. hear. it. It's so true and makes me want to bottle up this present moment.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDbFxAtNNnU

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending a prayer up that I feel the same way next year! I'm loving 18 months so I'm terrified of 2 and 3.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seriously, that picture is perfect!!! I love that she still talks in the 3rd person. My son, Connor (2 months older than emeline) still does it a lot, too! I also love those moments where you look at your husband like, "is this real life?! Are these really our children"?!?! so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also have a 2.5 year old. It is so special to see them come alive and develop into little people. I also have a four-year-old. It's amazing the difference. I can tell you that it just keeps getting better and better :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so love this age. It is hard, that's for sure, but it's also a total blast.

    Also? that girl is gorgeous. For real lady. Y'all did good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stop it with that picture! Stinking cute!

    I'm kind of loving this phase too. The twos honestly haven't been to terrible at our house. Sure he has his moments. But the good definitly outweighs the bad! Just love that kid to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  20. that has to be the cutest picture ever!

    ReplyDelete