Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Yesterday I was the cool mom.

We woke up yesterday to a winter wonderland. It wasn't, well, a lot of snow per-say....but it was a beautiful, big-falling-flakes kinda snow. The first official snowfall. So you can imagine my toddlers delight when she woke up to see that.

"Mommy! SNOW! Santa is coming to town! (hilarious, no?) It's Christmastime! I'm soooo esssited! I LOVE SNOW!"

So I sucked up my hatred for snow and put on my mom-game-face and told her how awesome snow is, how much I love it, and what a special day it was gonna be, because, duh, SNOW(!!!!!!!).


It was freezing out. But I could see her excitement and she wanted to get out there and play. When it finally started to snow big flakes again, I bundled her up and let her outside to play on the deck. It was the perfect place where she was closed in, I could watch from the window and still hold an awake-didn't-want-to-be-put-down-Lucy. I was even able to sneak out and get a few pictures.



It made me laugh because one of the first things she did was drop to the ground and start making snow angels. Then, she jumped and jumped and watched the slushy snow fly everywhere. Her giggles were endless. Her gloves got wet and her fingers got cold, but she kept on flinging snow--even throwing it "at" Lucy & I and the glass door.




I wanted to be like, OKAY TIME'S UP and bring her inside to get warm after about 5 minutes. But  I continued to let her play until she told me she was ready to come in. I think the kid stayed out there for almost a full hour.

"I had so much fun mommy! I love snow! Brrr I'm told (cold)!"

My kitchen became a mess, with slushy snow and wet clothes strewn everywhere. My insides wanted to be like "noooo clean this right now"....but instead, I told myself to chill out. And breathe. It's just stuff that can be cleaned up later.

So, I made her a cup of hot chocolate.



I didn't care about the sugar before naptime. Playing in snow and coming inside to hot chocolate? That's part of my childhood memories and I want the same for her.

I may have even given her a cookie, too.

And let her watch Elf again.

The first snowfall is one to be celebrated, after all. Especially when you're 2.

28 comments:

  1. That does look like some cold, wet, slushy snow, but she had a blast, and that is what counts!!

    Sometimes we just have to "let go" a bit for those perfect childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So freakin adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fellow snow hater RIGHT HERE! UGH! But I know when KP sees it and wants to go out in it my mood will change, how could it not?! These pictures are proof!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading about your little bundles! You have such a way with words - you really are a great writer! 99% of the time you write exactly what I am feeling. I have an 18 month old and a 3 month old, so I share your joys and frustrations! Enjoy the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable as always! You are always reminding me not to sweat the small stuff....like a slushy wet kitchen floor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an memorable day for Emeline! I'm glad you got to snap a few pictures! You're an amazing mom to your two sweet girls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just had the biggest smile on my face reading this. Such a good experience for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet! She will remember that feeling you gave her :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love snow. I still feel like I'm 7 years old when it snows. We were supposed to get a little bit the other night but didn't :( Now getting out on slick roads to take the kids to daycare? not looking forward to that. Last year I had family watching my kids at home so I never had to get them out so it will be a new experience for all of us.

    I'm sure she had a blast! Good memory making :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I'm even more excited for snow.

    You know, beyond the promise of a snow day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, this is why I love you. Sometimes its okay to break the "rules" while making memories. I have to remind myself of this more. She looks like she had so much fun! Christmas is sure to be the event of the year for Emeline!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too cute. I hate the cold but can't wait until I can get photos of my boys playing in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yesterday you were THE COOLEST MOM EVER !!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw. So much fun. Ours didn't accumulate to a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g, so, there was no point in going out. :( And honestly? Ethan didn't even care. Didn't mention it but twice all morning, and both times were from the dining room table where he could barely even see it. He didn't care to go to the window or door or anything to see it closer. Boys. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our first snow was Sundayand Eva was SOOO excited to WALK on the snow. She refused to lay down though. We'll see what she thinks when there's more than just a skiff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are totally the cool mom!!! I was just thinking how I was a bad mom after seeing all the cute photos of bundles of kids outside playing while I was selfish and decided I liked my warm and dry house better than dealing with bundling us both us and going out. (In my defense it didn't quite cover the grass)Go you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love love this! Her eyes are gorgeous BTW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this! You're a good momma! Hot Chocolate and Cookie before nap...scratch that...you're mother of the freakin year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I kinda can't wait for our first snow fall for a moment just like this!!

    And OMG, Emeline's coat is adorable!! The fur hood? I die.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What is this white stuff of which you speak? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the snow pictures! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like the most perfect snow day ever!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a wonderful time...even the mess that came with it because someday all of us will look back and miss those messes...I have 2 daughters and 1 stepson they are grown and four biological (living) daughters ages 18,17,15 and 12 and one biological (living) son age 6...twins in heaven that would be 11 if they could have lived being that early loss to miscarriage but if they had been born on time they would be 10...snd my last born lived for 17 minutes she would be four years old...I'm already missing the little girl things,but I am thankful to be making memories of cars,dirt,baseball,and gross stuff boys like to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. we only get snow like 1 or 2 days (if it stays) a year. back when i had reid 2/1/11 it was an ice storm and stayed for a week

    what on earth do you snow ppl do when the kids go in and out a million times..my dryer was going 24/7 to keep things dry for them to play...my floors were a muddy mess (we also don't have snow attire so everything was ruined)

    u rock!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Welcome to my world daily. Not with snow, obviously, but with sensory bins, rocks, dirt, etc. It's a constant inner battle that I have, telling myself to chill out. I figure let 'em enjoy it. Floors can be wiped up and clothes can be washed. But they're only this little once.

    ReplyDelete