Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

The ring that fit.

This weekend I had some annoying cell phone drama. I was the girl who dropped her phone into 2" of soda (yea, I know), causing it to fry up and die in a matter of 2.2 seconds. I was in utter disbelief that I was capable of such stupidity, but alas, the second you think that? It's bound to happen, am I right? (pssst: also, please, for the love, no one tell me to put my phone in rice for the 934830948th time, I may die. I do not live under a rock. K, love ya)

Anyway. Because of all the running around trying to get phone repaired/new one/annoying/stupid stuff--we happened to have two cars out near the mall. We were doing that come-from-work-car-juggling thing. This actually has NOTHING to do with what I wanted to actually write about, butttttt...I'm laying the story foundation. Bear with me. 

On the way home from getting my new phone on Saturday around lunchtime, we stopped and picked up Declan's car. Of course I jumped at the chance to drive his car home (in peace, sans children), and also opted for a few errands on the way home.  A momma's gotta do what a momma needs to do.

Honestly? I just had to return a phone case that I didn't like to Best Buy. But on the way, I realized my rings needed to be inspected by the jeweler, and well, it's right here so let's do it. I popped in thinking this would be no big deal, fast, in and out type thing--like it normally is.

Did you know it's almost Valentines day? No? Well, I'm warning you that jewelry stores are nuts. Recession? What recession? Wouldn't have known it on Saturday. 

Anyway.

I waited my turn.

Without kids? Waiting is no big deal.

With kids? I would have wanted to pull my hair out.

After about 20'ish minutes someone got to me. I started to tell her how I just wanted to get my rings inspected and cleaned, and here sign my card so I can leave and do more errands, please and thank you!

She was all, Honey-child, your rings are too big! You're gonna lose them

I told her I was aware, but I had just had them sized down multiple sizes right before getting pregnant with my last baby, and I was at a good weight, and well--I just didn't want to have to do it again. 

But then she told me I really, really needed to do it, and get them re-dipped at the same time. And I'm a sucker so I'm all ooook, fine. Plus it's free with my lifetime guarantee. So it's not really a huge deal except the annoyance of being sans rings for two weeks, you know?

So she proceeds to get out the big ring of rings thing. For sizing. 

I start slipping them on my fingers thinking like nahhh this isn't going to fit.  Then it does. Then the next one smaller, etc. And this is when I'm realizing that holy cow, my fingers are kind of average size now.

My rings needed to go down another half size, in fact, even 3/4 of a size down would have been just fine (but I always lean to the safe side, and think about summer-heat-swelling...yuck). 

She grabs a bundle of rings out of the glass case, a beautiful little princess cut antique ring with a wedding band attached, too. And said, here, this is what a size 7 will feel like with multiple rings. She slid it on my finger like it was nothing. In fact, it was still a little big.

I stopped. I stared at pretty blingy ring on my finger. I did that thing where you hold your hand out and admire pretty ring. And I think, for a moment, my eyes got a little watery. I had to blink through what felt like oncoming tears so the sales lady wasn't all what in the world? about me. 

You see---I've always had fat fingers. AKA: the rest of my body was overweight and so were my hands. When Declan and I went ring shopping to look at engagement options umpteen thousand years ago, I was the girl who couldn't actually try on rings because they only slid down halfway. It was embarrassing. Oh how I just wanted so badly to be the girl who fit the rings right out of the glass cabinet, who could do the extend-the-arm-and-admire-the-ring action. But I couldn't. I was the girl that had to get hers sized up (a lot). I just wanted to be the cabinet-ring-size. 

I know in reality, it sounds kind of stupid. And although in my head, I know that I've lost so much weight from where I came from years ago. And I've done a really great job losing it after Lucy, too (I'm actually my lowest weight yet, hollaaa!). But sometimes, you still see yourself as the fat girl. 

This little ring thing? While it might sound silly to some, it was just one of those moments that was a reminder of how far I've come. 

Sometimes I wonder why I couldn't have kicked my butt into gear a year before my wedding. I admit, I don't love looking at my wedding photos because of this. But all that matters is at some point, I had my Get-it-Together, Katie moment. And I did.

That shiny, out-of-the-glass-cabinet ring? That reminded me of that. And I let myself be proud.

***

35 comments:

  1. I totally get it. When I lost a significant amount of weight pre-Olivia I had to have my wedding rings sized WAY down - like from a size 11 to a size 7. I remember having that same moment you describe in the jewelry store. It's awesome! Sometimes the little changes like wearing an average sized ring makes you take a step back and realize all you've accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo with you on the wedding pictures thing. I hate my wedding photos because "WHY didn't I lose weight BEFORE my wedding like any normal girl?" Ugh. But you did it. I did it. And you continue to be an inspiration to me! Congrats on lowest weight ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you had that moment. I love moments like that... where you realize that what you think about yourself isn't actually the truth.

    Did you lose all the pictures on your phone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww - You're amazing. Glad you were able to see it too :) you make me hopeful that second babies do NOT make you stay fat like everyone tells me. They're all "the first one is easy, the weight comes right off, the second one, the weight stays".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl that is awesome!!! Congrats! Do you mind if I post your picture on my fridge after Baby Dew #2? You know, for inspiration? Kidding. Kind of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so motivational- you make me want to put on my running shoes even though it's early on a Monday morning and I'm stuck at work. Congratulations on the new phone/downsizing successes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This doesn't sound even remotely silly. I know how far you've come and teared up for you just reading this. You SHOUD be proud! You've done amazing! Super congrats on being your lowest weight. So awesome!!! =D

    And I know what you mean about that feeling inside. I'm pretty sure that no matter how much weight I lose, there will always be those times where I'll just still feel like the "fat girl". But hopefully they'll just get to be fewer and farther between.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go girl. :) So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have fat fingers and since I've dropped 50 lbs post baby #2 I need mine sized down too. :), it's a great feeling, go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have fat fingers and since I've dropped 50 lbs post baby #2 I need mine sized down too. :), it's a great feeling, go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never thought about the fact that not every girl can wear the jewelry case rings. Way to go Katie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never thought about the fact that not every girl can wear the jewelry case rings. Way to go Katie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nope, I get it.

    I still have about 25/30 lbs to go (those darned last pounds are the worst), but from my biggest weight? Oh, 100+ lbs ago? I'm a totally different person and my hands are a big tell.

    Compared to the rest of my family, I actually have tiny fingers. My cousin's tiny, petite wife and I wear the same ring size.

    My feet? I used to wear a 9.5 - 10.5 wide. Now, I'm a 8.5 - 9.5 and my feet sometimes slide out of regular width.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This isn't silly at all! I too was the girl who couldn't try on engagement rings straight from the case. I think my rings are a size 9! When it's all said and done I'm definitely going to them sized! They are wearable, but super loose for sure. Part of me has been putting it off because my wedding band is engraved and sizing will mess it up. Not sure they will be able to fix it and that makes my sentimental heart sad.

    As for still feeling like the fat girl. I totally get it. In fact just yesterday I told my husband I want to get a bikini this summer but I'm afraid people will wonder why she's in a two piece. Which is crazy. Cause I used to rock bikinis all the time pre Jamie. And at a much higher weight than I am now. So why would I feel self conscious at my thinnest ever. And my husband looked at me and said, because you still see yourself as the fat girl. Sigh. Part of me wonders if you ever get over that self image! I sure hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You totally deserve to be proud of that! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is awesome and it is a big deal! For me, its the small things that make the biggest difference in my feeling accomplished. i guess its the small things in every aspect of life, sometimes! Congrats on being the lowest weight, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is awesome :) Sometimes the "little" things are HUGE. Congratulations on this accomplishment!! You SHOULD be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's so awesome Katie! You're such an amazing lady! I actually started out a size 6. Then I gained 50 lbs and had to size up to a 9!! Ugh, I about cried. Now I'm back down to a much smaller size and my rings fly right off my hand. When it happens, it really is a big deal. It shows progress and YAY FOR PROGRESS! Congrats on your skinny butt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats mama :) That is huge. I remember when I noticed my engagement ring starting to get looser and looser. I'm currently terrified because it's so loose that in the right weather, it can slide right off. I still have more weight to go so I know I'm going to need it re-sized.

    Can you possibly add that bar across the bottom part of the ring that is spring loaded so it fits tighter?

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're the smallest weight yet?! Awesome!!!! You are such an inspiration. Since this is my last baby I can't wait to fight for my "forever" body afterwards. I want to forever get rid of my 14-16 jeans and find a weight that works for me and is healthy. I totally get the ring thing. When I lost a lot of weight after I had Nathan I remember how good it felt to downsize my rings. So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You should renew your vows so you can wear another dress and take photos with Declan and the kids and your skinny fingers/body!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. When we bought my engagement ring I was one of those lucky girls who could buy the ring directly out of the cabinet, no sizing needed. Then I gained some weight post wedding. Then I was pregnant with baby #1. So within one year of getting married I had my rings made bigger by 1.5 sizes. Grr. After baby #1 I kind of hung on to all that weight I gained, and before I was pregnant with baby #2 I was tired of being fat. I started to do something about that and then became pregnant, fat feeling still there. After the baby was born I went full gear into weight watchers, probably irritating my husband a lot ("no, I can't eat that, I don't have any points left." "Do you know how many points that is? I'm not wasting my points on that.") I had my rings resized last summer, six months after baby #2. The rings are now smaller than they were when I got married. It's a fabulous feeling. (my wedding dress is also too big. I like that feeling too.)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Katie, I love this post! You continue to inspire me, thank you!I have 7 pounds to go to hit my first goal and I AM DOING IT THIS MONTH. NO excuses!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I understand that proud feeling. I was one of those lucky girls who bought my engagement and wedding ring out of the cabinet, no sizing needed. Then I gained weight after getting married. Then I became pregnant with baby #1. Within a year of being married I had my rings resized 1.5 sizes bigger. Grrr. After baby #1 I held on to that weight. I started to do something about it, but then became pregnant with baby #2. Shortly after baby #2 was born I went full gear into weight watchers, probably annoying my husband. ("no, I can't eat that, I don't have any points." "Do you know how many points that is? I'm not wasting my points on that.") And six months after baby #2 I had my rings resized again. They are now smaller than they were before I bought them. It's a fantastic feeling. (my wedding dress is too big too. That's also a fantastic feeling)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good thing you got it sized. I was being dumb and waiting to size mine sized around last Christmas, when I lost my engagement ring at jc penny. It was the worst feeling ever and I was bawling my eyes out running around the store. Luckily, I found it in a stack of jeans. I took mine to the jeweler that day to get sized!

    As for the wedding photos, it really makes me sad to look at mine as well. But what I am really having a hard time with is gaining weight while being pregnant with #3. I know it is for good reason and I have tried to be healthy, but I know I am going to have to go through all the work of losing it again and that I am not looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I get this post in so many ways. As always, so well said. Glad you're writing again.

    ReplyDelete
  29. How did you know I needed to read this? I've got 9 months until my wedding and I want to lose a little more weight so that I CAN enjoy my wedding photos. Thanks for the kick in the butt.

    Also, when C bought my engagement ring, my ring size was a size and a half larger than when he proposed in November! I guess it helps to remember how far you've come in order to keep going. Right now I'm wearing a ring that's too big!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yes!!!!

    And you are so cute... And I mean that in the nicest way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! Congrats!! I'm so happy for you! :) This is an amazing weight loss story from another angle... LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is awesome girl. Congrats! these moments help you see yourself as everyone else already sees :) You look amazing girl!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is awesome! I love these little moments like this. They are just little reminders of how amazing you look!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love this!!! What an amazing journey you have been on, we are all so proud of you. Seriously...I have seen so many of my loved ones struggle, I know it isn't easy. But I just want to tell you youre an inspiration to so many. and this story just confirms it. :) glad youre back to writing ;)

    ReplyDelete