Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Panimals for Em

It's been nearly 2 years since we've established a "Pancake Saturday" (and usually Sunday, too) routine in our house. What used to be the day we'd have breakfast out (pre-kids) turned into an at-home-breakfast thing, and we began to really like it.

Once Emeline started getting older, Declan would make her the occasional Minnie Mouse pancake. You know, the easy circle, with two circle ears, add some chocolate for eyes, maybe a whipped cream smile, and ta-da! Happy camper.

Then he branched out, and made--wait for it, a pig. Honestly, I showed him the idea from something her preschool teachers had done for Farm Week, and it went from there. One of our friends commented on his instagram picture that morning and said, "make a pancake frog and I'll really be impressed!"

And.that.did.it.

It sort of became a hilarious challenge for us to make random animal pancakes for Em. Pancake+animal=Panimals. (Patent that language, we came up with it, yo.)

We started combining our efforts, and now our fun little pancake creations are definitely a team thing from my husband and I. I usually do the free-drawing part (former art teacher), he does the creative research (ha! We like to sound technical), and also he usually pieces the pancake together & all that jazz.

I know, it sound so silly. IT'S A PANCAKE. That is going to be EATEN. But it seriously takes us very little time and the joy we see on her face when we bust out a Hello Kitty pancake is way worth the few minutes of prep that goes into it.

We started hashtagging them as #panimalsforEm on instagram and have come up with quite the collection of pancakes so far. People have even left their suggestions for us for the next creations, and we've tackled some of them!


It took me a few weeks (months) to start breaking out my real camera (duh) for pictures. But here are a few of our latest creations:

we decided (ahem, my husband decided) we were allowed to branch off from animals for 'holidays. hence, the lep.








It's FUN.

And sometime, I will figure out how to do a legit tutorial to show you all how to do it too if you haven't figured it out. Maybe I'll put together a video.We use squeeze bottles for the more detailed portions, sometimes we add fruit for details, and we always manage to sneak in chocolate somehow for our chocolate-lovin'-gal.

Yes, we're nerds. Yes, we think pancake creating is fun. No, we don't have a lot of time on our hands, in fact, we're very busy people---but sometimes, sometimes, you just gotta have fun. And I think Emeline will have memories of the crazy pancakes her folks made her for years to come.

:)

***

*** Since Google Reader is gone July 1st, I've switched to Blog Lovin--so make sure to click below to keep following.
Follow on Bloglovin

23 comments:

  1. as a 27 year old mother of 2, i'd squee with intense delight if these were placed in front of me. they are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made Rudolph pancakes for Christmas. They were eaten in like .2 seconds. But the delight on my kids' faces was what made it worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love them and want to start doing them myself every weekend! Phoebe loved her bunny pancake this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me want to go out and buy a squeeze bottle RIGHT NOW! Gah I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is definitely something that she'll remember from her childhood! What a fun Saturday tradition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been loving the #Panimals - it's so fun to see. I missed the baby chick though, that is precious.

    Before Declan's 2nd birthday I was trying to come up with ways to make it *really* special for him. Something I could do so that he would know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was his special day. I love Sandra Boynton and chose her book "Happy Birthday Little Pookie" and read it to him every day for weeks and weeks. Then on his b-day we did all the special things Pookie gets to do on his birthday. One of those things was a pig pancake! If you come up with a better design for it, I want to see. Link to the post I did in October. If you haven't read the book... it's so cute. I love panimals! You two are a great team.

    http://readyforroots.blogspot.com/2012/10/two-years.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is straight up amazing. I'm totally showing this to Brad to see if he can whip something up for Zoe. We do pancakes almost every single Saturday and this would be AWESOME... although I can tell you before we even attempt one, it will never come close to the creations you've made!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! BEST IDEA EVER! I love her panimals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best memories I have from my childhood are the little things that my parents went out of their way to do...I can only imagine what little Em will have to cherish as she grows older. :) So presh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are awesome! You should do a book full of these. So sweet! Also, we need one of Em as you set your creation in front of her. You have got to get a picture of the surprise and delight on her little face!

    ReplyDelete
  11. aww the baby chick was sooo precious!

    that is a great ABC learning idea! you should make the letter it starts with and put it next to the animal/object on the place...(or not..just talking out loud b/c we do a foodie each week with the letter we practice writing bhahaha)

    as for the former art teacher! i am jelly-ous! i draw a stick person and it looks like i drew it with my feet! (deep sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Y'all are so fun! :) Eme & Lucy girl are going to have the best memories to look back on. And it's fun to see these on instagram every weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously, these are amazing! What a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are absolutely adorable and I know if I was a toddler (heck I'm 26 and I'm impressed) I would be jumping for joy to see these for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  15. THAT'S AWESOME!!! You guys are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing! Very cool! Would love to see a parrot.. I would never eat them, they're too perfect! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so amazing! I love seeing your panimals on Instagram!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are great! I follow along on Instagram. I was very excited to see the hippo. It is my all time favorite animal. Great memories for your children.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love this and seeing on instagram what your latest pancake creation will be!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it! So happy my suggestion of giraffe was made, but I think the elephant might be my favorite. A book would be so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Umm, it is INSANE how good you are at that!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow so much detail. You guys have some awesome Panimal talent. Such a fun thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay for the hippo!! My favorite animal!!

    ReplyDelete