Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Lucy's dedication

The week before Easter we dedicated Lucy. If you remember, we also had a dedication for Emeline. Some people baptize babies, we choose dedication. Basically, it's just an outward expression with our church friends & family of our commitment to raising our children, teaching them about Jesus' love, and promising to raise them prayfully and responsibly. It's a really special thing for us, in fact--probably more so for the parents than the baby :)


Like Emeline's, we did make a dedication video. But this time, we shared the day with two other kids--so we made a joint one. For their privacy, I won't share the video, but you can just know it was way cute.

Just visualize adorable babies, from birth to current age--you know, pics that make momma's uterus' ache to music that makes you sob. Kidding, sort of ;)


Declan and I wrote a joint letter and read it to Lucy aloud. I'm keeping it here so it's etched into the internet for all times. And, I'm sure to lose the word doc at some point, I always do.

(what I read in pink, declan's in blue)


Dearest Lucy Girl,

From the moment we found out our family would be growing, we were excited. We were filled with anticipation of who this little person inside me would be. We were filled with emotions and overwhelming happiness, and sometimes moments of worry and fear—but mostly, just joy.

When we found out that you were in fact, a girl, a little sister for Emeline, we were elated. Two girls, two precious girls—we felt like the luckiest people alive.

When you arrived, the most surreal sense of peace came over me as I held my second little girl. I just knew you were ours, meant to be in our family from the beginning of time, and that God formed you to be uniquely you. I felt my whole heart fully embrace yours. I watched as you instantly stole not only mine, but your daddy’s heart, too. You two are quite the pair.

When Emeline met you for the first time, it was the most beautiful, accepting, full-heart-bursting moment of my life. Everyday I am blessed by the sweetness that is your sister relationship.

We named you Lucy Elizabeth. Lucy simply means Light. Or, maybe I shouldn’t say “simply”, because being a Light, which is what you are—is a gift. Your eyes are bright and sparkle. You have the ability to connect soul to soul. And you bring smile and joy to those around you. You illuminate, Lucy dear, our little light. Elizabeth is a middle name you share with me and your Mom-Mom and it means God’s Promise.

As your daddy, I want you to always feel beautiful. You, your sister and your mom are the most beautiful girls I know. I don’t want anyone to tell you otherwise. I want you to feel secure in my love and protected always. From your first fall to your first heart break. I want you to know that I am always here for you. To comfort you and to be a rock you can lean on.

Lucy, as your parents, we are blessed that God entrusted us to this role. We feel honored and privileged to be called Ma-ma & da-da by you.   We promise to protect you to the best of our ability, show you unconditional love, teach you about Jesus and all his wonderful ways, and pray into your life even from the youngest age. We promise to nurture you, give you endless hugs and kisses, embarrass you from time to time, and teach your heart how to trust. Through all the ups and downs that may come your way in life, we pray you learn that God will never leave you nor forsake you. 

We love you, Lucy.

Mom & Dad

***

(photos are all courtesy of my sister in law, Lyryn!)

21 comments:

  1. So sweet! Our church (& ones I've gone to previously) also do dedication. But the pastor says a few words & prays for the parents & the baby, and members of the congregation come also. I haven't seen where the parents read a letter, but i LOVE it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This totally brought tears to my eyes. Such a beautiful letter you and your husband wrote. Seriously...beautiful. I cannot wait to have my own children. Lucy girl is so adorable and blessed to have a mama and dada like you and your husband and a sister like Emeline :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw this made me cry! What a sweet sweet dedication. Y'all are wonderful parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so touching! Lucy is so blessed to have you both as parents and Emeline as a big sister. I know God has truly blessed your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello -- I'm still way too hormonal for this stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, seriously fighting back tears. So so sweet. We dedicate instead of baptize the babies too, and the sweetness just gets me every time. :) These sweet girls are so blessed to have such awesome parents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, this was precious. BUT, I started bawling during Declan's first line about the girls always feeling beautiful. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously you should put a warning somewhere...this letter WILL make you cry. Such sweetness. We're baptizing Madelyn next month and I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful! We just had Mac baptized two weeks ago too. I'm (im)patiently waiting for the photos! I can't wait. Such a special event!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post! What a special, beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful dedication!!
    I think when I eventually have kids, I will choose to have them dedicated then baptized.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sweet! We dedicate babies in our church as well. Love your dress! I have it and it's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is just so sweet what you two read. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, the letter is just the sweetest! Congratulations to your Lucy girl on her dedication. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i adore your family... straight up adore you all!!! Your girls are stunning and the bonds / relationship to you all is simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, that is just precious!! Our church does a baby dedication at the same time every year for all of the new babies. It never hit me what it truly meant until I was one of the ones standing up there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our church does baby dedication once a year, so there are always LOTS of families that do it at once and therefore no time for letters but that is awesome. This weekend was dedication and I cried my face off even though it was the first year I didn't know anyone up there. It's just such a beautiful, special day. Glad yours was perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm bawling. That's beautiful and so special for Little Lucy to have that letter from you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh My! There is no way to read this without tears flooding... blame it on the TTC hormones I'm taking. :(
    I admire your incredible gift of documenting memories! I've been reading your blog since before Em was born..and it's been a joy to see your girls grow!

    ReplyDelete