Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Alert the media, cute baby on the beach.

I'm sitting here in my king sized bed at the rental house, a little sunburnt, with the cool yet a little warm still post-hot-tub-feel. We're on vacation, and on the downslope now at that. It's been mostly enjoyable, my kids have been mostly okay, and we've had mostly decent weather despite a previously sketchy forecast.

A part of my heart has been struggling though, hurting, really. I know that devastation occurs all the time, in ways under the current, daily. Or in big ways-like the tornadoes this week. I've maintained this wanting-to-know-what's-going-on, but not-being-glued-the-tv balance because of being away. I hate it because I feel ridiculously disconnected and in a way that's part of what vacation is about, and yet it kills me knowing the hurt and pain people are going through, losing loved ones, children, or the place they called home. I have trouble wrapping my brain around it, and I just have to acknowledge that my heart and prayers are with those affected. This article gives some good organization suggestions that you can donate to if you're looking for ways to help.

Besides catching some news clips here and there and facebook updates/videos, we've mostly done exactly what people do on vacation. Well, at least our people. A lot of nothing. Except that it's really not nothing when you have kids. It's like a WHOLE lot of nothing. Because, being away with kids is hard--and the truth is, we're comfortable at home. Comfortable with all the things out and around, knowing that Lucy can crawl around and get into it and be safe, or whatever. Here? No. That's not the case.  You have to be hyper aware. Danger lurking around every corner. Kidding, mostly--but you know?

Anyway. My kids like to make sure we get the best use out of every day because they wake us up ridiculously early. Thankfully, there's something about the beach that makes it easier to get up. Ok, let's be honest, it's mostly coffee that makes getting up easier--but I digress.

I have thoroughly, and I mean thoroughly enjoyed watching Lucy enjoy the sand. She even thinks it delicious (but does not condone sand eating, ahem). She wiggles her toes when the sand gets between it. Rubs her hands together. Digs in for more. Repeat. It's stinkin cute.

Emeline is mostly enjoying running right near the water edge, anticipating it coming up on the shore, and running away from it while squealing that it got her toes! She's obsessed with the fact that she's on vacation with her cousins. She loves them to death, but they fight about the stupidest things, and constantly--we are putting out little toddler battles every 2.5 seconds and it's exhausting. But mostly, they're still cute. So we forgive them.

emeline & ian, 5 weeks apart. they fight like siblings. maybe worse. ha ;)

My husband is just busy being awesome. I'm going to be mushy for 2.5 seconds but I have decided I love him even more than I ever knew, and it absolutely grows deeper every day. He is totally and completely my rest in the midst of insanity, and he's so amazing and helpful, non-stop hands on and proactive with the girls, I love it. When he's not busy being Super Dad, he's been cooking family breakfasts for everyone, being all pancake-master'y and enjoying the occasional hot-tub cigar. 
he's so gonna hate that I shared the right picture, but I kind of love his confident pancake-skillz-makin' face.

Me? Well, I'm just behind my camera a lot. Catching up with family. Enjoying naptime out by the pool to the fullest (what? kid-free time is the only real relaxing time). Digging for sand crabs by the ocean. Eating too much junk and drinking too many lime-a-rita's. Feeling semi neglectful of my 'healthy' lifestyle, but knowing it's okay to relax a bit. Refusing to feel stressed about certain things. And catching myself amidst the crazy still having those moments of kairos time (as momastery affectionately refers to it). Realizing that, whoa this is my life. My family is so beautiful. Noticing every detail of Lucy's adorable rounded cheeks and perfectly rolled thighs. Or the way Emeline's hair curls into amazing little spirals with humidity and a little pool chlorine. Catching that guy above kiss boo-boo's and have sweet, quiet before-bed silly jokes with our big girl. 

I like those moments.

When I come home from vacation feeling anything but the cliche "refreshed, renewed, rejuvenated" (because, dude, I'm tiiiiired)---I remember these things. I do. It's still good.




***


15 comments:

  1. So funny to read your blog, and see you where I live! Hope you guys are having a great time! Glad to see the weather cleared for you guys! If you guys stay through the weekend try to go to the strawberry festival! It's a fav around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the pancake photo! The best! And I believe there should be another word for vacation when you go with kids, because it is definitely not a vacation to me...just doing the same thing somewhere else and usually less convenient.

    Enjoy!
    Maybe I'll see you around town this weekend...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete