Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

and with that, She's 3.

My first baby-love. You're 3 today. It hurts just a little to see time go by like that, but I'm also honored, and feel so privileged that I got to watch you grow without missing a beat. You've completely changed my life, kid. For the better.


I love so many things about you, Emeline. I'm not really sure where to start.

I love that you notice every little detail. You make me stop, often, and just soak in every little good and happy thing around me. Thank you for slowing me down.

I love how you love well. Girlfriend, everyone comments on how warm and welcoming you are. You make even the sad and loneliest people feel loved and appreciated. Whether it's through a warm smile, a sweet little hug, or a shy little wave. You love everyone. Sometimes, when you see a stranger who waves back at you, is kind, shares a smile, you'll profess loudly (in Walmart), "Mom, I LOVE HER!!!", at the time, it might feel slightly embarrassing, but I know your heart. It's good, so good. 

I love how, unprompted, all throughout the day, you'll tell me how much you love me. How much you love your daddy, or how much you love Lucy as your sister. You stop, look at us in the eye, say it and mean it. You encourage with your words--the other day you patted my arm and said, "Mom, you are so special"

Oh you are such a silly and fun sister. I love that about you. You have truly made me one delighted momma to see you gladly accept Big Sister status and rock it out hardcore. You're amazing. Lucy is lucky.



I love how you can empathize with other people. You feel sad when others are sad. You radiate when others do. While I know this can be a challenging thing as you age, to feel others emotions, I pray that somehow you can use this as a gift to minister to people and help love them even better than you already do.

You are stylish and fashionable and girlllll you know how to pose. But yet, I love how much you also love soccer and playing baseball with your daddy, and digging in the garden with your ma. I love how you know you can do and be anything and I pray that you never lose the ability to see that you're truly capable of anything you put your mind to.


I love that you're persistant. While this can be completely and totally exhausting at times, I have to remind myself that in the future, this is a quality I never want you to lose. As a female in this world, persistance will get you far, and I'm proud of you for possessing such a quality. Sometimes in toddlerhood these gifts of stubbornness and persistance and drive can be misconstrued---but in the long run, I'm glad you have passion and fire in your bones. someone remind me of this during the next tantrum ;)

I love how you've expanded my heart and caused me to dig deep into this motherhood thing. I love that you taught me that long, hard nights will pass. That in the morning, it will all be okay. I love that you taught me more about what the Father's love for us looks like. I love that you've changed my perspective on life, and my goals. I love that in you, I see Jesus. I see love. I love that I can call you mine...ours. You are such a treasure and having you as a daughter makes my heart swell with pride & joy.


Happy 3rd Birthday, Emeline Kay. YOU are a gift.

xo

22 comments:

  1. The snow picture kills me. Such lucky girls to have one another and to have you!! Happy Birthday to Emeline!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness gracious! Get the tissues out. Beautifully written! She is a joy! I can't believe it's already been 3 years. I feel like she was just born, i know you do too. You are so blessed to be able to be home with these girls. The line where you wrote 'without missing a beat' hit me hard today as I'm having major guilt over how little time I get with mine. Soak it in. Enjoy. I know the days get long but focus on the good, just as you did in this letter. Happy Birthday Em!!!!!!! You're a beautiful soul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post!! I hope sweet Eme has the best birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Emeline!!! I CANNOT believe that our girls are 3 this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez this makes me cry! I remember when she was born. This is craaaazy!!! I can't believe we've been "friends" for 3 years now. And I can't believe that tiny little baby is now 3 YEARS OLD! You'd think I know y'all in real life as emotional I am over this haha :) You are such a wonderful mama...this post will be something she treasures for a long time.

    Happy birthday, sweet, beautiful Eme!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to your sweet girl! How lucky you both are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect post love. This girl is stinkin special! Happy Birthday Em!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday sweet girl! I love what you said about persistence in her b/c OMG KP is the SAME way and I just keep reminding myself that this is good and will be so good when she's older!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post, Katie!! Happy birthday Eme! I hope your 3rd birthday is wonderful and makes you feel as special as you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't believe our babies are turning three!! God blessed you with such a sweet, sassy, fun loving little girl! Happy Birthday Emeline!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So precious! Happy birthday Emeline!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful post. It's crazy how fast 3 years have gone by. I started following your blog when Eme was born, it's been fun watching her grow. Happy 3rd birthday Eme!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet letter to your girl. I needed the reminder about persistence being a good thing. ;) Happy Birthday Eme!

    ReplyDelete
  15. happy birthday sweet eme! you have enriched all of our lives for sure! so proud to be your auntie. you bring so much joy to everyone you meet. praying your love for others continues to grow and that God would use you to impact this world in a way no one else can! xoxo
    aunt susie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can hardly believe this. Why is time flying so quickly? It has been such a joy to watch her go from a squishy newborn to a sweet young girl. I love the way you describe her kindness towards strangers. What a beautiful personality to make her beautiful face. Happy "I gave birth" day Momma, you're doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday, Emeline!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy, happy birthday to Eme!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know, Katie, that our children are a reflection of us. All that beauty and good and God you see in Emeline? Take some credit girl. Happy Birthday, Emeline!

    ReplyDelete
  20. 3???? No!!!!!!! I've been following your blog since I think Eme was about 18 months or a little older..

    3??

    These pictures are so precious Katie!!! Enjoy her!!!!

    Happy Happy Birthday Eme!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tears are FLOWING, Katie. FLOWING. This motherhood journey ... gah. I can't even. Happy birthday sweet Emeline!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so late to these posts, but I still have to comment. So I'm sorry for blowing up your inbox. lol.
    I canNOT believe she's 3. I found you not long after she was born I think, and this is just unbelievable to me. She's such a cutie, and I love watching her grow up into such a cool kid (and great big sister). Happy (belated) Birthday Eme!!

    ReplyDelete